Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Filling up whilst sitting on your bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

How do you fill up?
Sitting on bike
45%
 45%  [ 64 ]
Bike on stand
54%
 54%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 140

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:14 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
If you can't fill yer bike without spillage, I would not like to see the mess you make whilst.....you know Laughing taking a piss

Embarassed Who told you! Embarassed Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:34 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'd like to see all of those non- stand people try to fill my bike up with legs my length whilst sitting on the bike!

I could probably *just* about do it, but I'd be standing on the very tips of my toes leaning over *really* far to reach the pump. With diesel etc about it would be too dangerous.

Saying "If you can't hold the bike up when its still then you shouldn't be riding" is irrelevant in this case, because in order to hold the bike up without hands on the bars you really need both feet on the floor.

I can hold my bike up perfectly well with one foot on the floor, but its different with no hands too. True, I do often stop at a junction with one foot on the floor and take my hands off of the bars to stretch, but I never lean either way like I would when grabbing the pump and putting it in the tank or putting it back.

Plus, being fuel injected it runs extremely hot, so I really wouldn't like to be in the position of having the bike fall on me and petrol run onto the engine or frame!

Also, with the narrow shape of my tank and the fact that the sidestand holds my bike very upright anyway I don't see the point.

my Penny Coin Penny Coin Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even contemplated sitting on the bike whilst filling up.

It stands to reason that you're not going to have as much control over the pump and your bike when you're awkwardly filling up with a thick set of gloves on, peering into the tank from around the nozzle, balancing the bike on the balls of your toes, glancing periodically at the pump readout.

All the above for what? An extra couple of pence worth of petrol in the tank that will give you that extra 15 miles? Pose value? If you're gonna have to get off the bike anyway I honestly cannot see any reason to do it.

Most people forget that petrol is a volatile substance and every care should be taken when coming into any contact with it - be safe guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Weird. Reply with quote

Never really thought about it until now. but that must be the reason my hole is off centred, its to the right a bit, so when put on the stand you can still get a full tank, lol, you learn something new every day don't you.

However i do not make use of this, i normally fill up sitting on her, especially if its "pay at pump", just seems easier, and i dislike the side stand (yeah she rolled on my turned back once Evil or Very Mad ). The other thing is i've got use to feeling for the reserve tap from this position and i think my sense of balance and my two feet are better at keeping the bike steady than a stick on a spring, especially if the forecourt is not level. I'm never happy unless i'm behind the bars.
It might be wrong, but its habit Neutral .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 15:03 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sit on the bike most of the time.

Standing involves far too much effort. Razz

Sometimes I put the side stand down, let the bike rest on it and stay sitting on the bike.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god that's a bit controversial! Sit on the bike with the sidestand down, you should be lynched! Wink

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 15:24 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't feel comfortable filling up while standing. Its just the way I am. I don't sit on it while I fill to get more petrol in the tank or for 'pose' value (although exactly how that can be considered posing I'm not sure), just because that the way I do it.
andrew This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andrew, to find out what the world's coming to you need to look at the other thread! Wink

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm - It's a Poll requesting opinions.

General Chat - For discussions on any topic

Bike Chat Forums - For those with an interest in Bike related topics

If you don't like it subscribe to a different thread as opposed to negatively criticising those that may wish to express a valid point Rolling Eyes

And before you argue the toss about 'my opinion being valid even though it may differ from yours'. That's a non argument. I'm sure you have an opinion on this matter unless you purchase a new bike when it's time to fill up, but it seems you'd rather criticise others for expressing their views.

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 16:41 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying don't discuss stuff but we'll be having threads discussing what foot you put down on the floor first when you approach traffic lights next. Actually stuff it, lets start now, what glove do you lot put on first when you leave the house in the morning and get ready to ride? Scratch that, how many litres of petrol do you usually put in your bike on a normal visit to a garage. Rolling Eyes

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left and twelve quids worth (dunno what that translates to in litres but to be honest I don't particularly care!) and to be perfectly frank both of those questions should have been entirely new threads but I'll be lenient in this case Wink

The forum is for everyone and although you may find some topics boring and mundane others may find them interesting and informative. I suggest you only look at the ones that may be of interest to you and skip the others, it's a fairly simple process once you get used to it.
andrew This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:00 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people pay with cash or card for thier petrol?

Do people always make crap polls?

Do people always reply to a thread even if they think it's crap?

Rolling Eyes

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 17:03 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash.

90% Of the time.

Not really but in certain situations it is required.

Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:05 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not meant to answer Razz. It was being used as an example of stupid pointless questions. Razz

Rolling Eyes

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
AndrewPosted: 04 Mar 15:55 Post subject:

You'll be lenient?

Like you said, this is a general discussion board and if I think a particular thread is utter tripe then i'll say so, a lot of the other people off here do exactly the same thing without people being so cheeky about it so i'll do the same if and when I choose.

The leniency comment was supposed to be laced with a hint of irony as I obviously have no input in the moderation of his site.

I don't think I'm being 'cheeky' just expressing an opinion in a calm and (I thought) fairly measured fashion.

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 17:13 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you're being cheeky my little ray of yellow sunshine.

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Wow. Reply with quote

I know i haven't been a member very long, and i shouldn't really interfere with those of you that make BCF, but why are you arguing about nothing Neutral ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:01 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
I'm not saying don't discuss stuff but we'll be having threads discussing what foot you put down on the floor first when you approach traffic lights next. Actually stuff it, lets start now, what glove do you lot put on first when you leave the house in the morning and get ready to ride? Scratch that, how many litres of petrol do you usually put in your bike on a normal visit to a garage. Rolling Eyes

left, left, 12
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:58 - 05 Mar 2004    Post subject: Re: Weird. Reply with quote

398cc wrote:
but that must be the reason my hole is off centred, its to the right a bit

Perhaps you should see a doctor about this? Laughing

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:07 - 05 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Saying "If you can't hold the bike up when its still then you shouldn't be riding" is irrelevant in this case, because in order to hold the bike up without hands on the bars you really need both feet on the floor.

You saying you can't sit up with left leg on floor and right foot on back brake and no hands on bars?

Just lean slightly onto your left leg, then no problem.

That was part of my CBT...... Shocked

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 12:52 - 05 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a shortarse on a big bike. I'm sure he can, but it's not the best postition to be in especially when leaning over to reach a petrol pump.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 05 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, point taken. It will vary on rider and bike. I feel very comfortable sitting to fill up, then again, on a different bike I may not.

It was just interesting to read what people think.

Good luck filling her up without soaking the spuds Laughing Wink
Mark

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:41 - 05 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got no spuds to soak. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6