BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which is quicker?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 20:03 - 12 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes at initial take off, scooters are quicker than rs50's but by the time you hit 3rd gear on an rs50 you WILL be in front of a ped.

I have m8s with rs50's and m8s with peds, im getting an rs50 or something similar myself. I KNOW what would win in a race between a ped and an rs50.

How can a big cc bike rider sit there and tell me what is quicker out of two 50cc machines when hes never ridden them??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Ive experienced (*sp) them, so i know what they can do. I dont tell you how quick ur bike is or how fast ur mates bikes are do i?

A scooter WILL beat a r1 from the lights for about 3 feet due to the weight and how the twist n twat system works. As 5bhp is eaier to put down that 160+
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 12 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngun' wrote:
Yes at initial take off, scooters are quicker than rs50's but by the time you hit 3rd gear on an rs50 you WILL be in front of a ped.

How can a big cc bike rider sit there and tell me what is quicker out of two 50cc machines when hes never ridden them??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I can tell you which is the quickest out of a GSXR1000 and a CB500, and ive never ridden either, its a simple thing called physics.

RS50 and a ped have similar power and weight, the ped gets off the mark quicker. The ped them doesnt have to change gears up to 30mph. the RS50 has to get the revs up, pull int he clutch, back off the throttle, change gear,open up the throttle as he lets the clutch out. and then reapeat that, 3? 4 times before it hits 30mph?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 20:39 - 12 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not really.
The rs50 makes more power than a ped and why would i be wrong if ive seen them race and ive raced them myself.

Uve no experiance with this sort of thing, obviously, and what your saying is complete and utter rubbish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:48 - 12 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially take off in the lead, for about 0.0001 seconds. And R1 will beat a ped or anything which is 50cc off the line no questions asked and if you're trying to tell me that you and your ped is quicker off the lights than an R1 than you might want to try racing a real R1 and not some RS125 or something which someone has put an R1 sticker on.

And riders who have bigger bikes than 50cc's can tell you and correct your lack of understanding of basic physics due to experience and knowledge both of which you seem to have a distinct lack of.

youngun' wrote:
Uve no experiance with this sort of thing, obviously, and what your saying is complete and utter rubbish.

I could say a similar thing about your spelling and grammar. But what you're saying is actually complete and utter rubbish.

conpants
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:48 - 12 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 50cc

nuff said

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 23:57 - 12 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the RS50 out of the box it should be restricted to 30mph to be legal....

out of the box, a cg125 isn't restricted.

de-restrict an rs50 and it might hit 50mph? but that's with sports exhausts, new carbs, re-boreing. A whole lotta money.

a cg125 will hit 60-65 on a calm day behind a lorry. 70 downhill with a tailwind. :p

a moped I believe is defined as being 50cc and has to be restricted to 30mph.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. People are telling youngun' the correct info, and he's throwing it back in their faces, with a garnish of butchery of the english language.

Gaz

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:29 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're only interested in the answers which they want to hear, so just keep ignoring unless someone says something which they want to hear. RS50 will do about 50mph ish, and all the sports exhausts and other assorted ways of wasting money won't do anything other than make it go like 1mph faster.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the cost of making an RS50 do 70mph, you could do your driving test, or bike test. then ride/drive something far quicker. so what the hell is the point of throwing money making a 50 go faster? I can understand derestricting it, but a sport exaust on a 50?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 02:24 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i havnt got a ped and no i havnt raced r1 with it.
What i was saying is that a ped takes off quicker than anything ive seen (and yes ive seen an r1 going for it)
But like i said only for the first 3 feet, while the clutch on an r1 is still being let out!!!!!!

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:42 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry mate but if you lined up a ped with an r1 then it woulnd have a chance even for 3 feet(or 3 milemetres). even when the clutch is being let out slowly on a r1 it still makes more bhp at the rear wheel that any moped.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:19 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

An RS50 when properly derestricted will manage 50~60mph. More is possible if you want to make it unreliable and not a 50 (big bore kit, etc).

However although it is not that much slower than a CG125, the CG will do those speeds with a lot less effort.

While thrashing a bike is fun, with those kind of top speeds you will be thrashing it pretty much all the time.

All the best

Keith

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 13:15 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason all these 1000cc riders seem to think a ped will keep up with a geared bike.
And that when fully de-restricted a geared 50 will only do 45-50, when they will do and indicated 65 which is probably a true 55-60.

Ste, your still trying to tell me how quick my own bike is!! Why bother?? I know it beats peds.
And i know it will do roughly 60mph - not 45.
Otherwise when going down a dual carrigeway people will be overtaking me, not the otherway around.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 14:23 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me rolls eyes

Gaz

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 12:41 - 16 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sooooo glad I'm happy with the size of my penis. Smile

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:33 - 16 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if your not have a look at this and quote BCF when you buy it and get 20% off. Laughing Razz Thumbs Up

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:00 - 16 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can kain 50/125cc peds of the mark on my tzr250 and could easily see them off on my old cagiva, so what chance do you think a peds go against an R1 of the mark which mullers my bike.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:29 - 17 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me kinda of like another post i once read here it is

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=832fe0c2d81727daab5963e593e438a2&threadid=32194&highlight=cbr125+rossi

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 12:48 - 17 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i say away from the lights i dont mean - to the next set of lights, i mean like 3 feet away from the lights.

Its simple physics that something lighter can get away from the lights quickly.
Also 5bhp is easier to put down that 160+

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 16:54 - 17 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

err, F = MA

Force = Mass * acceleration.

That's newton, he knows more than you.

by your theory, an ant weighing less than a gram, should absolutely kill an R1 off the line, because it's lighter?

It all depends on the force is exerts, which is A = F / M

So the Acceleration = Force / Mass.

you can work out the figures if you really want to....

Gaz

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 17 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Force = Mass * acceleration

Indeed it is, however bikes have these things called tires which provide a limited level of grip.

a grand prix car with traction control uses less than half of its power when coming out of a slow corner in the wet. yet one without traction control uses all of its power. yet the one using less power goes faster...
why? because too much power is harder to control.

Most sportsbikes have to be very careful off the mark to stop the thing backflipping, or the rear spinning up. a ped is just twist and gone.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:57 - 17 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

But assuming the rider can control the pulling off then it will be much faster on a geared bike than on a twist and go.
LorryDriver71 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 23:39 - 17 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVLA/DETR Definition of a Moped

A Moped is a motorcycle which;
1 Cannot go faster than 50 km/h
2 Must not have an engine over 50cc
3 Can be moved by pedals, if the moped was used before 1st August 1977

So, start modifying it so that it breaks one of the above rules, it's no longer a moped. Number of gears and whether it's a step-through/scooter has no bearing on what makes a bike a moped or not.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:16 - 18 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
Force = Mass * acceleration

Indeed it is, however bikes have these things called tires which provide a limited level of grip.

a grand prix car with traction control uses less than half of its power when coming out of a slow corner in the wet. yet one without traction control uses all of its power. yet the one using less power goes faster...
why? because too much power is harder to control.

Most sportsbikes have to be very careful off the mark to stop the thing backflipping, or the rear spinning up. a ped is just twist and gone.

That was the other point I was going to raise, there are too many variables in this equation.

grip, as you quite rightly brought up, wind, human response time, i.e noting when the lights change, rider skill, i.e the best way to drop the clutch.

so there's no real way to say "yes a moped would beat an r1 off the line over the first 0.1mm" because there are just too many variables.

Gaz
LorryDriver71 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3