Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What sort of Brexit do you want?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

What type of Brexit do you want?
No Deal, properly leave.
66%
 66%  [ 41 ]
May's Leave in name only deal.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Let the EU and establishment keep us in the EU
25%
 25%  [ 16 ]
Other. (Specify)
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 62

- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

...because in the real world 52% of those who voted did so a certain way.

...here more than 52% of those who voted did so in a certain way.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
It's at the top of the page pal.

A tiny forum poll where the respondents are predominantly hard brexiteers as they are the only ones still engaging in this BS here is representative of a whole swathe of voters? And you accuse your opposition of generalising.... LOL you hack.

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Your infallible agenda

You are oblivious to my agenda friend, LOL.

mpd72 CPT wrote:
I wonder... Rolling Eyes

I know you do, it's still not your fault.

Last edited by Sload on 17:41 - 11 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:

A tiny forum poll where the respondents are predominantly hard brexiteers as they are the only one still engaging in this BS here is representative of a whole swathe of voters? And you accuse your opposition of generalising.... LOL you hack.

The remoaners on here shout very, very loud. If the Brexit thread was anything to do by they would have a majority in this poll, but they don't. Brexit is difficult and it is intended to be so as it makes it easier to over turn the worker classes vote.

Democracy: The illusion of choice.
Media: A filter for information, creators of a narrative to tell their story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Sload wrote:

A tiny forum poll where the respondents are predominantly hard brexiteers as they are the only one still engaging in this BS ... LOL you hack.

Lucky loud remoaners like you didn't respond or engage in this BS then you hypocritical "hack".

Swing and a miss buddy, again.

Hey MPD.....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
If the UK remains in the EU, that's also fine by me.

That'll raise some serious questions about our 'democracy', which has obviously always been to a certain extent a construct, but the EU referendum has already exposed what a sham it actually is.

Sload wrote:
A tiny forum poll where the respondents are predominantly hard brexiteers as they are the only one still engaging in this BS here is representative of a whole swathe of voters?

Don't forget who started all this BS (I listed them before). The 'winning' side don't normally moan about the result afterwards Wink

I have to say BCF's a weird f'ing place (Wub) and definitely not representative of people I meet in the real world, however with politics I don't think you can easily categorise people, opinions always seem to cover the political spectrum as individuals (from the same group) feel differently about different issues.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Don't forget who started all this BS (I listed them before). The 'winning' side don't normally moan about the result afterwards

Not sure why that would even be applicable to be honest. This thread was started by the person I have been addressing although the fact the "loud remoaners" line is being trotted out has me in stitches at this point, like zero self-awareness.

So let's check you, do you think this forum "read us the only daft sods still getting involved in these threads" can be used as a representative sample to gauge the opinions of the rest of the country?

And one final one just for you to check me. Do you think I am a remainer or have argued explicitly for remain in my interactions?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Not sure why that would even be applicable to be honest.

I dunno a little thing called context.

Sload wrote:
So let's check you, do you think this forum "read us the only daft sods still getting involved in these threads" can be used as a representative sample to gauge the opinions of the rest of the country?

More representative than the sample used in the EU referendum predictions? Or the US election? As I said above BCF has a wider range of opinions than those I experience in real life, and I wouldn't categorise this forum as Pro/Anti Brexit, left wing or right wing.

Sload wrote:
And one final one just for you to check me. Do you think I am a remainer or have argued explicitly for remain in my interactions?

I've no idea nor do I care.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
I'm getting sick of

You'll be ok buddy.

Still, I'll wait for MC who still seems to have a relative grasp of reality.

M.C wrote:
I dunno a little thing called context.

Irrelevant to the topic and the poll then, no worries.

M.C wrote:
More representative than the sample used.......

Bit of a dodge but no matter, I framed it loosely and I don't really care that much, just a bit of fun.

M.C wrote:
I've no idea

I might be doing it right then and MPD is swinging at spectres.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
MPD throwing shade

No bad buddy Mr. Green

Now back into your corner

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/download_124.jpg

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really care why leave voters voted leave, because Brexit is all things to all men - a vote for Brexit is a vote for an unspecified destination. It's a vote against the status quo, but it's not a vote for anything.

The reality is that a no deal Brexit would decimate (literally lop off 10% of) the UK economy. There are linkages built up over decades with other EU countries at every level, people, companies, goods, services, that would all be broken overnight.

For some things, like food, the shock would be severe enough for prices to spike and trigger major shifts in what the British public gets to eat from their supermarket. Britain imports most of its food. There's no soft way to change that in a hard Brexit.

Tariffs, the things that customs union avoid, and that WTO rules put limits on, put a slight to moderate increase on prices, and a large increase in paperwork, but they're manageable. Tariffs are a bit of a red herring though. Elimination of non-tariff barriers to trade is how the common market was constructed.

Without regulations, goods and services can't flow easily between countries. Different countries have different environmental standards, safety standards, health inspections, industrial aid policies, worker protection policies, etc. If they all trade freely, there's a race to the bottom due to a beggar-thy-neighbour effect. If country A is able to make widget W more cheaply by abusing its employees or polluting its rivers, then country B will be forced to either cede market share for widget W or lower its standards too. Since voters don't want to be poorer, everybody is gradually forced to reduce standards across the board, a negative sum game.

These regulations are the things that "free market" Brexiteers want to get rid of. The red tape they want to tear up is exactly the red tape that is required in order to avoid a race to the bottom. You need central rules with a central court and central enforcement mechanisms to enable free trade without beggaring thy neighbour. Simple game theory. Countries generally try to protect themselves from this effect with rules and regulations that products must meet before they are allowed into the market, and trade in services is sometimes simply not legal - qualifications in licensed areas aren't recognized.

Cut off the basis for free trade, and guess what: trade will decline. This will mean that prices will rise, in some cases substantially, and many products and services sold by Britain will no longer be competitive, and British companies will contract, and some will close. Employees in specialized industries may no longer be able to work in the same industry again, and may need to take up worse paying jobs doing something else.

No deal would be a major restructuring of the economy. There would be enormous dislocation effects, most especially for manual labour, both skilled and unskilled. Products and services will become more expensive due to higher costs of inputs and reduced choice, with less international competition. Britain as a whole would be substantially poorer, just as every day the pound declines, it wipes billions off of British people's property wealth. And monetary devaluation will probably continue apace, reducing people's real wages and assets, in an effort to keep the country afloat in global seas.

And in a no deal scenario, it won't be the end of Brexit. Negotations for trade deals will continue for decades, trying to replace what leaving the EU destroyed. Patching up relations with the rest of the EU won't be easy because the UK will have walked away from its obligations. It's very possible that the EU could take the UK government to court, in UK courts, to claim payment of UK obligations under EU budgets agreed while the UK was a member. One way or another, that money will get paid, deal or no deal.

And let's not forget about the UK itself. The UK will most likely split up - Scotland support for independence is surging, and there's an emerging majority in NI preferring a united Ireland to a no-deal Brexit, even faster than the demographic change.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Irrelevant to the topic and the poll then, no worries.

No it really isn't.

Sload wrote:
Bit of a dodge but no matter, I framed it loosely and I don't really care that much, just a bit of fun.

How is it? They've called the last 3 elections/referendums in this country wrong, which shows any sample's rubbish. Like those stupid averts on the TV, 90% of people agreed yadayada based on a sample of 89 people.

Sload wrote:
I might be doing it right then and MPD is swinging at spectres.

If I had to put money on it I'd say a remainer but I can't specifically remember.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:20 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to stay out of talking politics because, like religion, everyone has an opinion that means more than yours. However....

I voted remain. I think that as a nation we didn't have enough say in what was decided within Brussels, but I thought that the way to deal with that was to stay in the party and try to change it that way. I think that, for the majority, we would have been stronger as part of the European Union. I didn't believe all of the bobbins that the money saved not being in the EU would mean £350 million back to the NHS everyday (or what have you)....

Anyway, the people voted and the majority that voted, voted to leave. Fair enough.

I would still vote for Remain, and I would honestly like to see what the results would be if we were to hold another referendum tomorrow. That doesn't make me a screaming remoaner (nice name, btw), it just means that I wonder how many people have changed their minds with a lot of information (from both sides) that has come to light.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
Sanctimonious stuff

Just one question, what side are ensuring a no deal Brexit at the moment?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
I think that as a nation we didn't have enough say in what was decided within Brussels, but I thought that the way to deal with that was to stay in the party and try to change it that way.

Wasn't that what Cameron's awesome reform deal was all about? Eh?

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
I try to stay out of talking politics because, like religion, everyone has an opinion that means more than yours. However....

I voted remain. I think that as a nation we didn't have enough say in what was decided within Brussels, but I thought that the way to deal with that was to stay in the party and try to change it that way. I think that, for the majority, we would have been stronger as part of the European Union. I didn't believe all of the bobbins that the money saved not being in the EU would mean £350 million back to the NHS everyday (or what have you)....

Anyway, the people voted and the majority that voted, voted to leave. Fair enough.

I would still vote for Remain, and I would honestly like to see what the results would be if we were to hold another referendum tomorrow. That doesn't make me a screaming remoaner (nice name, btw), it just means that I wonder how many people have changed their minds with a lot of information (from both sides) that has come to light.

Do you really believe that the EU is capable of change (other than tighter integration etc)?

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:59 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
CBFcarl wrote:

Do you really believe that the EU is capable of change (other than tighter integration etc)?

I think with the right person up there, yes. The problem seems to be that I don't think that we have a) a strong enough politician who has the right motivation, or b) have enough leverage to force a change.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no change then.

Which of the current crop of career politicians do you think would have the backbone to stand up for us (and not their own self-interest)?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ''Norway model'' type of solution? I am surprised. Thinking

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
No ''Norway model'' type of solution? I am surprised. Thinking

That would switch the ECJ to the EFTA courts holding sway over us.

We'd have to keep free movement of people and keep contributing money.

So not really Brexit.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
I think with the right person up there, yes. The problem seems to be that I don't think that we have a) a strong enough politician who has the right motivation, or b) have enough leverage to force a change.

What about Maggie Thatcher's ghost? Potentially losing one of the biggest contributors to the EU should have been enough leverage, but they never took the threat seriously.

Cameron was asked yesterday if he regretted calling the referendum, and he reckons he doesn't. He used it as a carrot to get his majority, which May obviously then threw away Very Happy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 176 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6