Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Smoking ban - your thoughts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Smoking Ban Vote
Outright ban
44%
 44%  [ 40 ]
Ban but exempt pubs not serving food and private member clubs
24%
 24%  [ 22 ]
Ban all except private member clubs
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
None of the above - I can't be bothered
16%
 16%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 89

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:42 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As everyone allways moans about clouds of smoke an all the smokers.I think it answers itself that there are more smokers in pubs then non smokers

not necessarily.There could be 20 people in a bar and if 2 start smoking all 20 go home with stinky clothes.

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 15:42 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

innominate wrote:
All you have to do is get of your fat arse and move outside for a fag, instead of knackering the air inside the pub.

OH THE INJUSTICE!!!!!!!!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

and all you hav eto do is go outside in the nice fresh air that you so crave for, or even go up the road to the pub that banned smoker.

OH THE INJUSTICE!!!!!!!!

Rolling Eyes Laughing
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 15:53 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to agree with Sadie and G.

I don't like the fact that almost every night club plays music so loud that it damages your ears and you can't hold a conversation,
but I would be against any legislation to stop this.
If you don't like it, don't go there; but don't spoil it for those who like it that way.

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayZ wrote:
Non smokers who imo dont spend much time in pubs .

You haven't been drinking with me, have you? Laughing
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayZ wrote:
is that a drinking comp i see Razz

No dear! I would beat you hands down and I wouldn't want you to be embarrassed! Wink

benc
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:17 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i smoke but dont mind going outside too smoke when out in town. but at my local pretty much everyone smokes i cant see it working there. Also the landlord smoke, he cant see why he should have to go somewhere else to smoke where he lives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 16:33 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ban cigarettes Thumbs Up .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 16:43 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've semi touched on this in the fingerprint thread

So maybe it wont be too bad an idea although in Dublin they HAVE put patio heaters outside
As a smoker i'm not keen on the thought of NOT BEING ALLOWED to smoke inside pubs etc. but i can't see anyone taking my personal preferences into account in parliament!

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proposed ban on smoking is the thin end of the wedge, not only because it is an illiberal and intrusive measure that sets a dangerous precedent for other government clampdowns on various ‘lifestyles’ (including biking), but far more importantly because of what it reveals about our political culture more broadly. When outlawing the evil weed can become the stuff of national politics, and can be accepted by an increasingly conformist public mood, it doesn’t bode well for anyone who thinks politics and change should be about more than whether and when individuals can puff on a B&H.

As a lifelong non-smoker, I find myself in an odd position. It arises, I believe, from more than the widespread belief that the smoking ban is the thin end of an insidious wedge which will enable the fun police to encroach on more and more aspects of our lives.

The ban, far from being a positive social instrument, will make social life that little bit weaker. Do I, as a non-smoker, have a right to dictate to my smoking fellow-citizens that they can only consort with me if they are prepared to see things my way?

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 17:06 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadie

Quote:
The ban, far from being a positive social instrument, will make social life that little bit weaker. Do I, as a non-smoker, have a right to dictate to my smoking fellow-citizens that they can only consort with me if they are prepared to see things my way?

Thumbs Up hear hear Thumbs Up

tater
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:12 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have always been a non smoker, my view use to be it should be band. But as Sadie says is it just the start of something, what will be restricted or banned next!

I really don't mind that much if people want to smoke now but i think banning it when food is concerned is a good idea. I have no problem with people smoking in the street as fag butts on the floor are easier to remove than chewing gum.

I would perfer if the pubs just had better ventilation so the smoke would not hang so badly in the room, then everyones happy!

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 17:21 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just smoking... jesus Rolling Eyes

I can't see many people going with the law to be honest. If you need a fag, you need a fag. IMO if you go out to a bar/nightclub or what ever, you have to expect to come back smelling like a burning brewery. If you dont like it, go elsewhere.

To be honest i hardly see anyone smoking in public, except for pubs and stuff, so i see no problem with it.

I just can't stand the people who cry about it so much.

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple 'ban' is the wrong way to go. To try and ban smoking in all pubs is just silly, it's like banning swearing.
There are thousands of pubs in this country and they are as widely varied in style as the individuals that attend them.
Leave it to individual pubs/chains to serve thier customer base by deciding what thier majority want.
The Beefeater style family gastro pub may find a ban welcomed, whereas the local pub full of labourers will simply ignore it anyway.

Ideally smoking will eventually fade away as more people give up and less start smoking.
The government should definately raise the age to 18 to stop 'kids' smoking. I doubt the rising tax is doing anything other than encourage black market trade.
A 'ban' is just too blunt a weopon to fight something that is so engrained in the pub culture.

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never smoked and dont like the thought of passive smoking, but I dont make a big deal about it, just remove myself from situations if I am not happy with.

I suppose we could branch this debate out, into:

Should the NHS treat smokers with smoking related illnesses?.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 19:34 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditBitch wrote:
Should the NHS treat smokers with smoking related illnesses?.

Yes, Smokers pay for the NHS.

Katie
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:36 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a non-smokers right to not having to inhale, and smell of, second hand smoke out weighs the right of a smoker to light one up.

However I also agree with Sadie here ...

Sadie wrote:
However, I resent the constant intrusion of the nanny state into our lives, and therefore want no ban at all.

I think that an out right ban is a bit extreme, and clubs and pubs should have smoking, and non smoking areas. And proper dividing areas, not stupid little waist high walls that apparently separate the sections. Rolling Eyes

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 20:42 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ban it.

I hate the smell.

Makes me cough.

Gives me extra washing.

Litters.

I dont give too shits about ''If we ban it, its just another example of nanny state''. The state bans guns which kills, wheres the outcries for living in a nanny state then.

WR

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadie wrote:

As a lifelong non-smoker

Ahem.

"Non-smoker-except-for-the-odd-one-in the-pub/rally field/party-when-I'm-very-drunk" Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:52 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As keith has mentioned before, bikes are more likely to injure a pedestrain if involved in an accident with one.

Now most people /have/ to use the street, so maybe bikes should be banned because of the increased likelyhood they might kill someone?

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 21:03 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind people eating while I'm smoking Confused

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't ar$ed to read all of this thread TBH.

If they ban it or not, some landlord will always let you smoke ciggies in their pub, so I'll just drink there. Like a modern day 'speak easy'. Cool

Christ, if they made smoking illegal I would still smoke. Too many politicians with f*** all else to do IMO.

F*** 'em.

*Rolls a ciggie*

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 21:12 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be arsed to read it either.

I smoked for about 4/5 years and have quit, still tend to have a few when on the piss but whatever. I don't think it should be banned, aparrently as a non-smoker I should be free to go everywhere free from people smoking, fuck that, those bastards paid £5 for those pack of fags, why should they be restricted to only smoking under a thick duvet in their bedroom incase someone sees them smoking.

You ban smoking, great, everyones happy (aparrently) but suddenly they realise a lot of drunk people are injuring and even killing themselves, shit better get a ban on that!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 102 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6