Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Coronavirus -archive

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I'm Prince 2 trained myself.

Hmmm, pretty much the way I roll but informally Thumbs Up There are times when Agile works but it's not a religion!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Some MSM sources and even that all-knowledgable Dr. Fauci are starting to suggest that the virus may have originated from some lab in a place called Wuhan in China!

Conspiracy theorists everywhere! Sad

He’s basically said <sigh> let’s have the investigation you all so desperately hope will prove the Chinese made a bio-weapon. The CIA claims three Chinese staff went to hospital in November 2019 but they don’t say why. Seems like a convenient and surprisingly belated observation.

Yeah, I know. It's basically more to do with the political wars currently going on.
Me, I don't really care, short of if it were an actual deliberately released bio-weapon, which of course I don't believe. Fact is, we've got it to deal with.
Not that you could trust the Chinese authorities to allow a truly unfettered investigation if the suspicion were strong enough.

The only other thing I would ask is, what was the evidence that this came from other than a lab? Presumably, given the pushback against the lab leak idea, it is absolutely proven? Due to the stupidly political slants from various sources, it's hard to follow to a definite conclusion. What was the evidence you saw reported that absolutely convinced you this wasn't a lab leak thing? My mind is still open on it all, as I don't think I've seen absolute evidence for one theory or another.

Oh, and what Fauci actually said now was that he had not ruled out the lab leak hypothesis, not at all what you're suggesting he said Jimbo, though he may think it less likely still.
It's also not the first time sick Wuhan lab staff have been mentioned - this was claimed by others some months ago.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:55 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Jmoan wrote:
if the public had clamped down and refused to go along with it...

We would have had multiple times the deaths we have had, despite an inept and retarded reponsse from various parts of various UK gov's. Did you see what happened when they pretended it wasn't a thing in the US? Brazil? India? Genuine question - Are you actually retarded?

In some situations, the rights of an individual are topped by those of an entire fucking nation. Go bleat about how it isn't all that contagious or its just the flu in your tinfoil hat echo chambers and let the adults do the talking.

Careful now, you don't want to end up like this guy. Ranting and raving that the person was endangering everyone while ironically doing it himself with his poorly fitted face nappy made worse by his silly beards air gaps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifsXdodbvY4

If he was so concerned about the wuflu then it's his responsibility to mitigate it i.e something better than a face nappy or getting a scooter instead of a train.The railways could also do more.

UncleBFester wrote:

As much as you are proving mine. I didn't say that was the only measures, I listed TWO measures.

At least you can count I suppose.

They could do with a loud active voice in Saudi, why don't you give it a go.

Set a loudspeaker up over there and I will, along with an invoice at saudi rates.

People are acting like there are only two measures. That's the big problem.
What happens if the flu mutates again or another bioweapon
disease appears which is airborne.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Yeah, I know. It's basically more to do with the political wars currently going on.
Me, I don't really care, short of if it were an actual deliberately released bio-weapon, which of course I don't believe. Fact is, we've got it to deal with.
Not that you could trust the Chinese authorities to allow a truly unfettered investigation if the suspicion were strong enough.

The only other thing I would ask is, what was the evidence that this came from other than a lab? Presumably, given the pushback against the lab leak idea, it is absolutely proven? Due to the stupidly political slants from various sources, it's hard to follow to a definite conclusion. What was the evidence you saw reported that absolutely convinced you this wasn't a lab leak thing? My mind is still open on it all, as I don't think I've seen absolute evidence for one theory or another.

Oh, and what Fauci actually said now was that he had not ruled out the lab leak hypothesis, not at all what you're suggesting he said Jimbo, though he may think it less likely still.
It's also not the first time sick Wuhan lab staff have been mentioned - this was claimed by others some months ago.

Oh come on, you’ve edited your post to add paragraphs 2 and 3 several hours afterwards just to stir it. Your question is, “What evidence do you have that my wholly imaginary suggestion isn’t true?” I regard it pretty much as Fauci probably regards the Wuhan lab suggestion; it’s not up to me to prove your imaginings are true, but if you insist let’s have the enquiry and we can scrutinise any actual evidence you believe you have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's not what Fauci is saying. He is saying that he has not ruled out the lab leak hypothesis. That is what he has actually said. That would also be my position.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I regard it pretty much as Fauci probably regards...

Mmmmkay... Laughing

Look, we can disagree about what we think, but neither of us can say we know for 100% certain what the origin of this virus is. Are you saying it definitely didn't get leaked from a lab, 100% without any doubt whatsoever? I can't understand how you could be so certain if so. I certainly haven't seen anything that resolves the question completely, have you?

And anyway...

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Oh come on, you’ve edited your post to add paragraphs 2 and 3 several hours afterwards just to stir it.

What a peculiar statement. It's not as if I changed it after anyone had replied to my points Confused I edited it to ask you something that I thought about later. If you had already replied, then I would have written a new post. Since nobody had, and we didn't have lots of other posts meanwhile, what difference does it make? What a thing to get upset over.

EDIT: (what, again?! Laughing )
Anyway, perhaps I am trying to stir something up - like a conversation. How criminal of me Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:39 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Careful now, you don't want to end up like this guy. Ranting and raving that the person was endangering everyone while ironically doing it himself with his poorly fitted face nappy made worse by his silly beards air gaps.

The second anyone starts on the face nappy bullshit, they lose all credibility... You're attacking an idea that proven to work, but you're gonna start screaming about virus size, oxygen depletion or others such bollocks...

No-one
likes wearing one. Those of us with functioning brain cells understand the need and don't start spewing half-baked conspiracy theories based on wildly misunderstood and out of context soundbites. The bit that would be funny if it wasn't sad is it's the knuckle dragging spunktrumpets that freeak out about "human rights" are the ones dragging this out.

Last edited by ThatDippyTwat on 07:22 - 26 May 2021; edited 1 time in total

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:31 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knuckle Dragging Spunktrumpets Mr. Green

You can have some positive karma just for that Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:07 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
The second anyone starts on the face nappy bullshit, they lose all credibility

No-one likes wearing one.

https://i.imgur.com/zBgxdDw.gifv

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:43 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

You're attacking an idea that proven to work,

Is it tho? Or is it like disinfecting surfaces.

Proven to reduce the aerosolisation of particles yes. That's not the same thing as proven to to reduce the spread of the virus in-vivo. Has this work been done?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

You're attacking an idea that proven to work,

Is it tho? Or is it like disinfecting surfaces.

Proven to reduce the aerosolisation of particles yes. That's not the same thing as proven to to reduce the spread of the virus in-vivo. Has this work been done?

Yeah, there was a paper out in the last few days. I'll see if I can find it again. Pretty sure there were earlier preliminary studies that showed similar numbers.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mask obviously work at reducing virus transmission.

Any barrier works.

There might be some grounds in any argument that determines how effective a mask is.

Breathing through a respirator that can prevent virus particles passing from one side to the other may be considered 100% effective.

Coughing freely into to the surrounding air 0% effective.

Coughing into an elbow a bit more effective than coughing into the air.

I'd say that wearing a mask is a good intervention.

But that is pointless if other additional safeguarding such as hand hygiene and social distancing rules are ignored.

The Swiss Cheese Model sort of applies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_cheese_model

Layered systems are better than no system and permutations of that and so on....

It's a bit like protection from malaria (One of the worlds biggest causes of death from disease.)

Avoid areas where Anopheles mosquitoes spread malaria parasites.
Use prophylactic drugs.
Use treated nets and screens.
Use insect repellent, that are proven to work against mosquitoes.
Find out how mosquitoes pass on malaria and avoid being out unprotected at times mosquitoes are active.
Make sure you have access to medical care if you feel unwell and suspect malaria symptoms. (About a day or two after infection and feels like the baddest flu ever.)

Or ride bare back and dance with the devil.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I'd say that wearing a mask in crowded places is a good intervention.

FTFY.
What saddens me is when I see people, especially older folk, wearing them when out and about and not around others. Fear factor gone too far.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MCN wrote:

FTFY.
What saddens me is when I see people, especially older folk, wearing them when out and about and not around others. Fear factor gone too far.

Regardless of age, I don't think it's a fear factor in most cases, I think it's just simple, well, ignorance is too strong a word, but you get the point, they just don't know the basics of transmission. To be fair, it's better they're erring on the side of caution than just fucking it off altogether. I wear one in work, but my work are generally not the smartest nor the most sanitary (and that's coming from the old school dirty hairy biker). I don't wear one around town unless I'm in a building. That said, I'm only really in town with my missus or daughter when they're assaulting my wallet. Yeah, they're are going to be some that are neurotic, but we had hypochondriacs and neurotics before C19, it's not new, and most are not like that.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MCN wrote:

FTFY.

Sometimes that's just expediency. I do it if I'm in town doing messages irrespective of social distancing (in my car for example) - it's easier and more hygienic to keep it on rather than the faff of removing, carrying and refitting.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's always useful when you're up to the nefarious too, and don't want to be identified, so it has that positive side to it I suppose Smile

What, that's just me? Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Sometimes that's just expediency. I do it if I'm in town doing messages irrespective of social distancing (in my car for example) - it's easier and more hygienic to keep it on rather than the faff of removing, carrying and refitting.

A gag would be better in your case Razz Laughing

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
No, that's not what Fauci is saying. He is saying that he has not ruled out the lab leak hypothesis. That is what he has actually said. That would also be my position.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I regard it pretty much as Fauci probably regards...

Mmmmkay... Laughing

Look, we can disagree about what we think, but neither of us can say we know for 100% certain what the origin of this virus is. Are you saying it definitely didn't get leaked from a lab, 100% without any doubt whatsoever? I can't understand how you could be so certain if so. I certainly haven't seen anything that resolves the question completely, have you?

The issue does raise quite a few questions.
1) Did Fauci have suspicions much earlier and sat on them because he wasn't keen on his former overlord, or was it for some other reason?

2) Is there any significance to Fauci releasing his new public opinion at this time?

3)If it turns out that somehow someone can prove that this was from a lab, either deliberately or accidentally, is anything going to be done about it? The international community has done a fairly shitty job at kicking the Russians for their poisoning habits, it's unlikely that there is going to be much more than tutting over the Belarussians playing reroute the plane game, I can't see much happening in the way of international restrictions at the Palestinians and Israelis lobbing rockets at each others citizenry, so what hope is there that the world is going to sanction it's one-stop supply store?
I read that China has just exceeded Germany's numbers for UK imports, so are you all going to stop buying shit from Amazon, Etsy, etc as a sign of disapproval that you've all been shut in for the last 18 months, or however long it is?

4) If accidental, what kind of sanction/etc is appropriate towards a country for a lab with an employee that had a bit of an off day back in 2019?

5) Possibly the biggie question: It's a bit late closing the stable door after the horse has bolted so just what measures should we be taking next time the Chinese tell us they might have shut down a town because the ungrateful inhabitants are holding too many funerals? Or will we just revert to goldfish mode because Capitalism is our answer to everything?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

A gag would be better in your case Razz Laughing

Sorry, I don't share your gimpy ball gag kink Razz

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

The issue does raise quite a few questions.

And probably many more in addition to the ones you have noted.
I think it will confirm a need to be much more circumspect about the Chinese authorities overall, if confirmation were needed.

Again, it depends on what you believe from various media outlets, but there seemed to be a trend, along with the rising dependancy on trade with China, to just accept whatever else came along with it. My opinion is that the world needs to move away from this and grow a much stiffer spine when it comes to dealing with them, and not just in words. For one thing, a more united front internationally would be nice to see.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Gonna have to replace your telescope with a mirror. Get ready for the shock of your miserable life Razz

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

Gonna have to replace your telescope with a mirror. Get ready for the shock of your miserable life Razz

I've got two reflectors that use mirrors - luckily they're not powerful enough to be able to see you so all is fine Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:29 - 27 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Mask obviously work at reducing virus transmission.

Any barrier works.

There might be some grounds in any argument that determines how effective a mask is.

Breathing through a respirator that can prevent virus particles passing from one side to the other may be considered 100% effective.

Coughing freely into to the surrounding air 0% effective.

Coughing into an elbow a bit more effective than coughing into the air.

I'd say that wearing a mask is a good intervention.

However, the above is 100% opinion unless someone has done a well designed in-vivo study. You have effectively made a religious statement. Pathogens did not read the book and do not behave in live populations in the same way you might expect from lab work.

Masks reduce droplets. Droplets spread covid. That does not necessarily mean masks reduce covid, it's an inference too far.

You can (successfully) argue it's a good idea on the precautionary principle but it's not an established fact without first establishing facts.

12 months ago we were all absolutely certain hand washing and disinfecting of surfaces and objects were critical to preventing the spread of coronavirus. Eminent scientists and senior politicians had themselves filmed washing their hands while singing the national anthem/happy birthday. PIN keypads up and down the country were trashed with disinfectants.

In a lab you can COVID patients can be PCR positive for 14 days after infection. We told people to quarantine for 2 weeks. It has since proven impossible to infect cell culture lines from a sample obtained beyond 9 days post infection. Quarantine was dropped to 10 days.

They may well have done an in-vivo study on efficacy of masks. I've not looked... Neither have you.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 27 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just come straight out with it: masks are "comfort blankets" for adults.

Out in the Real World™ - now all the oldsters and vulnerable have been jabbed - most people are just wearing them in shops out of politeness. I've yet to see the political component the Americans have attached... maybe I need to get out more Smile

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 27 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still come from the angle that hygiene and other related things are good practice, Covid 19 or not.

Masks = cheap and cause no harm.
Washing hands = as above.
Antibac Gel = as above.

What i have noticed whilst out and about is that the vast majority of folk i see who don't want to wear a mask also don't want to do the other two things either. Dirty cants at casual visual inspection in other areas too.

Best avoided but then all of this has only reinforced what I thought previously.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 27 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Tesco didn't insist, I wouldn't wear a mask in there. Somewhere more confined I might, although tbh, I haven't had a proper mask throughout but have been using my bike neck tube pulled up.
Good hygiene practice hopefully will have improved generally among the population through this mess, but in the end, you can't force it on people.
I really am hoping we will have to worry about this stuff less soon, as the vaccines are taken up further. They seem to be holding up well to the various mutations that come up if the information we get is correct. Then let it be a personal choice thing on masks. No need to stop a general campaign of promoting good hygiene though, ever really.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next
Page 169 of 172