Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 178, 179, 180  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cunt decided to key the boot of my car, either while I was outside my daughters yesterday, that will be the builder working next door to my daughter who got uppity about me parking near his clapped out white van even though he was parked right across my daughters, or it was some cunt in Tesco today, but I can't see why. Fucking scratched like fuck. Why do the cowardly shits do it?

Well the shop that he is working on wont like the next six months and the vindictive little shit that I will become. Fuck 'em.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 21 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t remember residential streets being full of work vans when I was a kid, yet now the ugly things are all over the place and mostly close to junctions where they maximise the hazard. What happened?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 22 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be "yards" at those sort of businesses, where you went in the morning to pick up your van and go to work.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:29 - 22 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I don’t remember residential streets being full of work vans when I was a kid, yet now the ugly things are all over the place and mostly close to junctions where they maximise the hazard. What happened?

There was/is an income tax incentive to leave home to travel to a job.
Not sure if still valid.
Also companies can have small footprint and save on property tax.

It is a fecking disgrace in the street I live in.

Those who parked caravans or camper vans in their drive way is bad enough but now we have pavements blocked by over-sized work's vans. Some have the audacity to tow a trailer with mini-excavators on the back too.

It is a police matter to enforce it probably.

If a vehicle is on a pavement where there are yellow lines, photograph the vehicle and send to the local council.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 28 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightly or wrongly, in our household we all pop a daily vitamin D pill during the winter months (when it's generally accepted that most people in this country aren't exposed to sufficient sunlight to enable their bodies to generate enough vitamin D for their needs). So, this week's Tesco order for delivery happened to include a pot of vitamin D tablets. Unfortunately though, Tesco were out of stock, and their order acknowledgement email included the following:

Substitutions:
1 Tesco Health 120 High Strength Vitamin D 25mcg Tablets
Substituted with:
1 Tesco Health 120 Chewable Vitamin C 500Mg Tablets

Cos, fair enough, it's almost identical isn't it? Only a single letter different? Rolling Eyes

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 28 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Rightly or wrongly, in our household we all pop a daily vitamin D pill during the winter months (when it's generally accepted that most people in this country aren't exposed to sufficient sunlight to enable their bodies to generate enough vitamin D for their needs). So, this week's Tesco order for delivery happened to include a pot of vitamin D tablets. Unfortunately though, Tesco were out of stock, and their order acknowledgement email included the following:

Substitutions:
Substituted with:

Cos, fair enough, it's almost identical isn't it? Only a single letter different? Rolling Eyes

But they're chewable though.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 28 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Substitutions:
Substituted with:

Be thankful they didn't substitute them with Youmove. It's a tablet as well.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 29 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

There was/is an income tax incentive to leave home to travel to a job.
Not sure if still valid.
Also companies can have small footprint and save on property tax.

It is a fecking disgrace in the street I live in.

Those who parked caravans or camper vans in their drive way is bad enough but now we have pavements blocked by over-sized work's vans. Some have the audacity to tow a trailer with mini-excavators on the back too.

It is a police matter to enforce it probably.

If a vehicle is on a pavement where there are yellow lines, photograph the vehicle and send to the local council.

Let's hope this catches on..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-68087244

My street has residents parking restrictions which helps too, others similar but no restrctions have white vans everywhere

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 29 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Let's hope this catches on..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-68087244

My street has residents parking restrictions which helps too, others similar but no restrctions have white vans everywhere

It's all good fining people but they need to provide alternatives. There's a few streets where I live where the pavement is entirely blocked mostly by vans parking on it, but then there's nowhere else people could park if they did start fining people.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:38 - 29 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Substitutions:
Substituted with:

Probably nothing in them anyway. Just a sili con.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:18 - 29 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a very expensive ingredient in urine.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 29 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
It's all good fining people but they need to provide alternatives. There's a few streets where I live where the pavement is entirely blocked mostly by vans parking on it, but then there's nowhere else people could park if they did start fining people.

The alternative is don't own a car or at least only get a reasonable sized one. I blame the SUV fad.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:17 - 29 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be fine in a decade or so when they ban private ownership of cars. Loads of space for everyone then Sad

Apparently they're discussing ICE motos aswell.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:50 - 29 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among the many, many deficiencies and issues with the new supposedly better digital phone system we have at work because digital is the way forwards and having an emergency phone system running via a broadband connection is a fucking great idea until there's a power cut...

One of the handsets on our super-duper phone system which works perfectly if everything is working perfectly (and only one of the 20 or so handsets in the building) shows up as a London number when you dial out. Only just found this out a few days ago

What's the problem? I hear you ask. Well, nobody answers it when you call them from it. When a London number shows up on my phone, I reject the call because there's nobody calling me from London I want to talk to (I know a few people from London *waves to hellkat* but they don't have my number). I thought it was only me but when I asked around the staff, they all do it too.

So we have a digital handset spoofing a London number (although if you dial that number, our main phone line does ring) that there's no point dialling out on it and it's not somewhere you'd be answering calls from so it's effectively useless.

I wonder how many man hours we've wasted betwen us trying to phone people from this phone and getting no answer.

For clarity, we are located a six hour drive from London.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 29 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
…and having an emergency phone system running via a broadband connection is a fucking great idea until there's a power cut...

I only recently got rid of my rarely-used ‘landline’ phone when I switched Broadband suppliers, but I’d completely forgotten about this. It was a source of fascination during the Winter of Discontent.

I’ll have to get some distress flares or something. I suppose I could pop round to the neighbours but they’ll think it’s The Purge.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 29 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got rid of our landline when we changed from BT to Cityfibre broadband. We now only use mobiles. It's quite amazing still how many companies ask for a landline number and aren't happy when you say you haven't got one.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 29 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Ayrton wrote:

The alternative is don't own a car or at least only get a reasonable sized one. I blame the SUV fad.

My SUV has a smaller footprint than the estate car it replaced - it's just taller

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 30 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Yes. Bring back the city car. Th

stinkwheel wrote:
I reject the call because there's nobody calling me from London I want to talk to

Being in the industry, I was always taught that if a phone is ringing you should pick it up. Yes it could be some call centre, or it could be someone who genuinely needs help. Or it may well just make your day, and suddenly you're rich. No CLI display = everybody picks up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 30 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
One of the handsets on our super-duper phone system which works perfectly if everything is working perfectly (and only one of the 20 or so handsets in the building) shows up as a London number when you dial out.

That's so daft it's surely got to be a simple set-up mistake (at the provider's end), hasn't it?

This compulsory switch from dedicated phone lines to VOIP is being implemented all over the country at the moment; VirginMedia have recently sent me a little adapter to connect my (essentially unused) landline handset to my router, and I'm waiting for them to tell me when to actually use it. I can't believe that they won't be organising CLID setup as part of that process (or maybe I can - it's VirginMedia after all)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 30 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an industry wide strategy to get rid of all old copper pair phone lines by 2025. March of progress and all that.

As for phone lines that don't work in a power cut...

Either run a UPS for the router, PoE switch and PoE handsets if you're that bothered about it or do what everyone else does and pull out your mobile phone.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 31 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum rings up to say she's got no cold water upstairs so most likely a problem with the tank in the loft.

I did put some boxes up in the loft recently but only empty ones. Trying to rack my brain on how that could have shut off the water! Oh well, we shall see when I head round there.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:29 - 31 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
It's an industry wide strategy to get rid of all old copper pair phone lines by 2025. March of progress and all that.

As for phone lines that don't work in a power cut...

Either run a UPS for the router, PoE switch and PoE handsets if you're that bothered about it or do what everyone else does and pull out your mobile phone.

The trouble is, it's other people phoning HERE we need to work. Dialling out isn't the issue during a power cut.

So the broadband connection stays up during a wide-area power cut does it? And the cell towers?

Traditional telephone exchanges have their own power and battery back-ups. The whole area could be blacked-out and the phones still worked.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 31 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still don't have mobile coverage and plenty of places even in town are patchy at best.
So use mobiles only on wifi calling, which also goes off during powercuts.
We must have had nearly 50 short trip-out style power cuts this month locally - they have managed to blown up some expensive raid backups at one place.
The local pub and coop aren't happy as their broadband and card payments go down every time and it takes nearly five minutes to come back up Laughing
The broadband might stay on but the router doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 31 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The trouble is, it's other people phoning HERE we need to work. Dialling out isn't the issue during a power cut.

Yes, there is the "4th emergency service" aspect of your work.

I have a client in the City and their broadband has stayed up during a power cut (with the aforementioned GPS.) Even so, I've replaced their router with a 4G failover SIM card sort. They'd have to have the power out and the broadband go down and the cell coverage all at the same time... we can at least say "best effort" by that point but none of it's life or death stuff.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:04 - 31 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
We still don't have mobile coverage and plenty of places even in town are patchy at best.
So use mobiles only on wifi calling, which also goes off during powercuts.
We must have had nearly 50 short trip-out style power cuts this month locally - they have managed to blown up some expensive raid backups at one place.
The local pub and coop aren't happy as their broadband and card payments go down every time and it takes nearly five minutes to come back up Laughing
The broadband might stay on but the router doesn't.

We've had three "brownout" power cuts recently. I measured it and we were getting 50V AC in the mains. Anything running on DC with a reasonably modern transformer still worked but I bet it damaged some more sensitive stuff. I switched off the ring main circuit breakers and just left the lighting on until it came back up to normal.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 178, 179, 180  Next
Page 173 of 180