Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Forced to go cold turkey in prison

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 23:06 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Steve, but even I agree with a lot of what Siggi has said here. We'd probably quibble over the proportions of inmates who were arses/twats/misunderstood rebels, but it is a fact that much crime is caused by deprivation. That isn't an excuse for many offences - but it is a reason, and we should address the causes of crime as well as the incidents of it.

Prison is already unpleasant enough for most people. I spent 2 years working in a Crown and a Magistrates court, and I took a lot of people down to the cells for the first night of a long stretch. Plenty blustered about not giving a shit, but just about all of them had the same expression on their faces when they got on the vans, and it wasn't a smile. No-one wants to do porridge, (except for the odd wacko and occasional tramp/junkie/alky) because being away from your friends and family and having very little control over your life is a punishment in itself.

I'm all for punishment, I mete it out every day, but we shouldn't get into the habit of assuming that we are better than every little fella who ever spent some time inside.

One also has to be practical. Not only would super-harsh regimes result in super-riots every week, but Siggi is right in pointing out that it would result in hundreds and thousands of embittered nut-cases being released onto the streets with a genuine grudge against society.

I'd also be willing to bet that very few of those who agitate for Hell-like prisons would be willing to put their money where their mouth is and walk the landings themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Prisons Reply with quote

The point is the criminal is not the victim everyone has the same chances in life you get out what you put in some people have it rough criminals and their victims. We have tried all sorts of schemes to give the criminals a chance and we still get multiple offenders its time to start looking after the victims of crime and give them a chance.

My wifes brother did 18 months for driving offences it was not his first time in court or prison he had enough chances first points then ban then more bans what did he do while out on tag drive so prison worked for him I asked him why he does it his answer if I get caught they will just give me a couple of years he is not worried about doing time.

If prison was made to be a deterent I may make a lot of people think before comiting the crime.

Our local paper had a case of a guy banned 18 times caught driving in a stolen car given a last chance, last chance to do what kill someone next time he steals a car.

If the first time in prison is like living hell they wont want to go back it will change the ways of a lot of criminals before its to late, until then the rest of us will suffer ever increasing crime is that what we want?

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Prisons Reply with quote

Have you got an answer to the current crime problem?

The system is not working something has to be done what would you do?

Reading some of your previous posts is it shoot them, beat them up, blow them up these are things you have said you would do to people?

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: prisons Reply with quote

68000 robberys in 1993
98000 robberys in 2005

200000 violence against persons in 1993
Over 1m in 2005

Sexual offences 31000 in 1993
62000 in 2005

This increase in crime

House burglary is now down to the same levels as 1981 due to alarms, people locking doors when in the house, less can in houses more people using cards and CCTV criminals are now hitting the easy targets like street robbery.

Siggy what is the answer to the crime problem you have stated my idea of harsher punishments is not the answer have you got a better idea?

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: prisons Reply with quote

So what are these criminals deprived of they get the same benefits as anyone else they get the same education as anyone else if they turn up They start life without a criminal record the same as everyone else their choice.

Why can a family of 6 children have 1 who is a criminal and 5 who work pay taxes pay their way get they all had the same chance.

This country is not perfect the system is not perfect the taxation is not perfect but its not an excuse to turn to crime.

gixxersixx
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:01 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Social deprivation is a cause of some of the crime, deprive people of physiological needs and yes they are going to rob & steal to survive. There are however people out in society that commit crime for the enjoyment of it, majority of these are not socially deprived some just do it for greed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:17 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: prisons Reply with quote

So, siggi; what solution do you suggest that will work for 'real' people in a real world?

Life isn't too bad for those that try as it is.
It seems to me that the problem comes from those that expect everything to be handed to them on a plate.

I've seen 'deprived' areas; I've also seen plenty of people that have grown up in such areas and 'made' good through a bit off effort.

Personally, I don't like the way a lot of tax money is spent; but the way I see it the government we have has evolved from people choosing it.

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: prisons Reply with quote

They dont need to rob or steal to survive they choose to rob or steal. They are already claiming their benefits the same as the rest of the unemployed unless they would rather steal someone elses money than claim theirs thay have support groups paid for by the people they steal from to help them if they can be bothered to go.

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Prisons Reply with quote

a) I am spoken to like a cunt.

b) I am treated like a cunt.

c) I am paid a pittance for working my nuts off, making some cunt rich.

d) I am robbed by the govt of most of my money. So the answer is nobody works in a job where they think they are been underpaid

So a job with any rules is out
So a job with any vocal instruction is out
So any job where they think they are been underpaid is out
So any sort of job where you have to pay tax is out

So who will do the jobs below your requirements?

How will the country run with no tax been paid?

Or is it just the select few who are are exempt from the system
Do these select few who dont want to pay in to the system still want all the benefits such as health care, social security, the police, fire serivce, roads, street lights etc or do they want to live in a cave.

Sorry they want all the benefits of society without putting in the rest of us fools can make up the shortfall after all the world owes it to them.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 16:49 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But hear them squeal and whine and bleat when yer common prol decides he'd like some of what they're having. "Look," they scream, "a criminal! Why isn't he in some factory making me richer!"

Most crimes that I know of are committed against people who are at a similar level of income though through legal mean's.

Bank robbery is going to be much lower than buggalary(sp) or car crime on a council estate I should imagine.

Also, how do you know someone who lives in a nice house and has a nice car outside their house hasnt done it legitimately? I'm not on about the extremely rich here but the middle classes.

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Prisons Reply with quote

I am self employed I work around 60hrs a week I have cut my hours over recent years.
I earn enough to keep my family if I need more I work more.
I have worked from been 16 without been out of work longer than a couple of weeks.
I have done a full time job and pub work in the past just to keep up with the bills etc.
My wife works part time her choice she enjoys it.
I have had many jobs in the past and not been happy thats life.

This is what most people do I wont go out stealing if I want something I will just work harder why should I take from other people who work hard.

Am I a fool?

Does the world owe my a living?

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Prisons Reply with quote

But prison in its current form is not a deterent that why its full.

People working scraping a living have worse conditions than prisoners then when they start to bulid up a home someone robs them is that fair?

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not to brutalize the criminals in prison what my idea is getting them doing something for society recycling rubbish the rest of the population is expected to do it The prisoners would have all the protective equipment required it wont be nice and they wont want to do it again so it might just make prison a deterent.

Locked up all day playing pool watching sky tv looking for ways to get compensation because they cant get their drugs is whats happening now.

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

But its not working is it.

Its time to look after the victims of crime and if that means the criminals get it hard tough.

We need a deterent whats to stop the local scallys stealing your bike is it the police and courts giving them a a holiday skiing or you giving them a good hiding which one is the deterent.

gixxersixx
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:06 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi serious question, if you made it bad in prison and I mean really bad, eg Lock prisoners up for 23.5 hours a day with just bread and water twice a day, no luxuries just their cell with a concrete block to lie on and a hole for a toilet with one person to a cell. Would this deter people from wanting to go back to prison. Would seriously like your view on this Siggi, and how would you punish people for their crimes

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Prisons Reply with quote

Next time you see a photo in the paper of a 80 year old woman beaten black and blue think are the criminals going to be punished worse than her and she did nothing wrong except be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Prisons Reply with quote

Sorry Siggy I pay my tax dont do cash in hand its not that sort of work all cheques Sad

Do you pay yours?

Or do you expect the rest of us to pay extra to make up the shortfall?

These criminals are stealing from the working class trying to make a living they are not robbing the local tax office or mp house its the normal people suffering but thats ok because they were deprived.

Last edited by Steve_k on 18:24 - 19 Nov 2006; edited 1 time in total

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:

Yes, it would, and they'd achieve that by carrying a gun or knife and using it on the first pig who tried to nick them for something. Or on any potential witnesses to a crime. Etc.

Not to mention the screws who would be maimed and killed.

They do that now so no change there then

gixxersixx
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:28 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how would you deter people from going back without them using knives and guns to prevent themselves being nicked in the first place?

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an equal tax system but you dont want to pay your bit the goverment will still get the same amount of money your not taking any from them its just the rest of us will pay more.

So a fair system where you pay less than the rest of us

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if anybody is doing better than you its ok to steal from them we should all be paid the same regardless of training experience or qualifications as long as you get a bit more than anyone else because you dont want to pay your taxes. If someone decides they dont want to work they are in their right to turn to crime because they have been deprived.

What a wonderful idea NOT

Last edited by Steve_k on 19:00 - 19 Nov 2006; edited 1 time in total

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:

Bless, are you really that naive? Let me wipe some of that shite out of your eyes...the UK govt charges the maximum amount of tax it thinks it can get away with, permanently. Regardless of who does and does not pay their taxes, the UK govt is already taxing the public to the absolute maximum it can, then adds a bit more on top.

I dont think your on your own if we all did it then what will happen?
The MPs will still get everything they need they will raise taxes direct or indirect cut services so we will pay more or get less but not you your exempt from the system until you need the system

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs".

Thats how it is now except you dont want to do your bit

gixxersixx
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:25 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve_k wrote:
Thats how it is now

not exactly, when chief executives and managing directors etc. are paid wildly excessive bonuses, and salaries instead of distributing them amongst the people who make the company money. If they are earning £3million a year then they should be paying more tax than someone who is earning £250,000 a year.

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring on the revolution Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 190 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4