Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Acceptable summer wear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Just need something to keep the saggy old man balls from flapping in the wind.

https://i.imgflip.com/1zbhhq.jpg

Not C.E. so.....

Fail.

Smile

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CE? Bah. BREEXXIIIIITTTT!!!

Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Just need something to keep the saggy old man balls from flapping in the wind.

https://i.imgflip.com/1zbhhq.jpg

Fine (well with boots), but don't come crying on here if you get tangled up in loose ratchet straps on the side of an artic. I'm sure the passing motorists would be getting a full on glimpse of your splayed balls at that point.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Look, it was a lazy choice of words on my part Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
I just wanted to know what everyone else does to keep cool in the summer
No, you thought riding without gear was foolish and wanted everyone to agree how safe you are.

I'll wear armoured jeans and unzip my jacket if it's really hot, but ATGATT if I know I'll be going over 40mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Look for a motocross jacket. I think a company Merlin sell a Mesh jacket that has CE armour in.
The one I have is Hein Gericke (spelling) but too wee for me. Embarassed So I'm looking for a summer jacket now.

Edit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merlin-Mondello-Mesh-Motorcycle-Jacket-Black-New-SMALL-Waterproof-Mens-Bike-Coat-/152702241226

Thanks. Are they compact? I wonder because I carry so many things that wonder if I have more space for bulky items.
Having said that, I would not mind an item that has motorcycle heritage, but does not scream it is a sports item - something I could wear to go to a restaurant

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since getting warmer it's common to see riders on mid/litre bikes wearing trainers, shorts and a tshirt gassing around Londistan.

Having done this a few times, it's exceptionally comfortable in terms of temp control, personally though, it's extremely uncomfortable in terms of constant thoughts of what would happen coming off the bike. If you can live with the consequences then go ahead, I don't give a shit what you wear, for me though I'd rather be sweaty and keep my skin.

I run hot and struggle with the heat so have just invested in a pair of single layer Rokkertech Armalith jeans for summer. They cost a small fortune but are supposedly breathable and safer than normal jeans.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Frank Thomas armoured webbing jacket I used to wear It was great for keeping cool but made me look like something out of a bad Sci Fi movie.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I have a Frank Thomas armoured webbing jacket I used to wear It was great for keeping cool but made me look like something out of a bad Sci Fi movie.

Polarbear's 7

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Look, it was a lazy choice of words on my part Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
Davemc37 wrote:
I just wanted to know what everyone else does to keep cool in the summer
No, you thought riding without gear was foolish and wanted everyone to agree how safe you are.

I'l

Thank Christ you are here to tell me what I meant, I almost had to do it myself. Oh I did.

Anyway I don’t care what speed you are doing anyone DRIVING a bike or scooter wearing flip flops is a bell end, but I respect their right to be a bellend if they choose to be one.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say "wear what you like" ...

... just as long as it has enough pockets to keep your rubber gloves in.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride most of the gear, most of the time. On my old 50cc, just a crash helmet, I ride my bicycle faster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it all depends how much you like sunburn and the possibility of grave rash.

There are plenty of helmets with good ventilation when on the move. I dislike the heat immensely but having seen what being knocked over by a bus and headbutting the kerb did to a friend of mine, i'm not taking chances. he's alive and mostly all there, but he's a totally different person. And he can't remember simple things like song lyrics, which for a singer is pretty bad. Never tested a motorcycle helmet properly. But a push-bike helmet probably saved me from quite a serious injury 20 years ago.

I don't think I've ever been compelled to try a vented boot let alone not wearing decent boots. Socks loaded with coolmax or some other kind of wicking material do make a difference.

I've shredded two sets of gloves. They've done their job and I can still play guitar badly. Plenty of ventilated summer gloves are around.

I've got a set of CE Jeans, just the cheap-ass aldi ones. I would not trust anything that cheap if they didn't meet a releveant standard. I don't think they're any less warm than my RST textiles with the lining out, but they look less out of place in a rock club.

I've got one of the RST mesh jackets with zip in waterproof liner. The jacket does its thing but a microfleece and waterproof oversuit work better and cost less than the premium over a basic mesh jacket. A longsleeve wicking baselayer underneath stops you getting sunburn through the mesh and works better than no baselayer. I learnt the hard way on a bicycle that even if the wind is keeping you coil sunburn still happens.

But I don't really care what YOU or anyone else wears as long as I'm not listening to someone whingeing about sunburn or gravel rash.

Actually that's not true. If you look like a chavscum squid stranded somewhere with a broken bike, the chances are I won't stop and might consider checking if the bike's been stolen. If you're wearing gear appropriate to the bike I'll probably stop and offer assistance.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride differently when without gear.. low speed, just enjoying the road and nice breeze. I wouldn't go like that on motorway or push it on A/B roads.

I ride WAY faster while wearing full gear.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:34 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musketeer wrote:
I ride WAY faster while wearing full gear.

https://i.imgur.com/7fy93Yn.png

You'd better hope for our sake that Tef doesn't emerge from haranguing New Bikers. If he sees this, Allan help us all.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I ride most of the gear, most of the time. On my old 50cc, just a crash helmet, I ride my bicycle faster.

The mind boggles. Laughing

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:17 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mesh jacket which is very comfortable and then generally Hood jeans but tbh, most of my journeys involve 70+ somewhere so I'll deal with the short term sweat in linerless textile trousers a lot of the time.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:05 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m always amazed at the poor choice of motorcycle clothing in a non-warm country like Britain. I understand it’s tough to ride ATGATT in Madrid or Milan in July with 45C, but here? When I see scooter riders in the winter riding with an open-face helmet and two scarves underneath, I do wonder: WTF? Why not a full face helmet? Safer and warmer? Not to mention safer if some scrote throws acid at you to steal your pride and joy?

There was a long thread on advrider about single-layer jeans: they seem great, but expensive.

When it’s hot, it’s important to wear wicking fabrics and avoid non-wicking stuff like cotton; if I ride with a cotton shirt in autumn, I get drenched in sweat. With merino or synthetics, I don’t. You don’t need to spend a fortune: cheap synthetic base layers from Uniqlo or TkMaxx work a treat.

No backpacks – they make you sweat, block back vents, and are not great if you come off.

Mesh gear seems flimsy – not sure how much it would hold up in a crash. You also risk dehydrating too quickly, as being exposed to too much wind dries too much of your sweat too quickly. Of course it depends on how long your rides are.

I wear a Klim Apex: grey, laminated waterproof, leather reinforcements, lightweight, but lots of vents. If it starts raining out of the blue, I pull up the zippers without getting off and I don’t get soaked, like I would if I had to pull over and get some waterproof from the topbox. In a warmer, less rainy country I’d probably go for a non-waterproof jacket. At the end of the day, non-waterproof clothing will always be more breathable than waterproof, because waterproof membranes are also windproof. Plus these membranes work best when it’s hot and humid inside the jacket, and cold and dry outside, ie they work better in dry California than in humid Europe.

Vented, non-waterproof BMW airflow boots.

Waterproof overtrousers with leg-long zippers, so they can scoop in air and limit sweating.

Since our taxes fund the NHS, a separate discussion is whether it is fair that our taxes pay for the treatment of easily preventable injuries, like those caused by not wearing a full face helmet…

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:

Since our taxes fund the NHS, a separate discussion is whether it is fair that our taxes pay for the treatment of easily preventable injuries, like those caused by riding motorcycles

... is the logical conclusion of that argument.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:11 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
Since our taxes fund the NHS, a separate discussion is whether it is fair that our taxes pay for the treatment of easily preventable injuries, like those caused by [riding any motorcycle, by far the most dangerous form of transport except for horses]

Not a can of worms that we want to scratch and sniff.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:18 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, let's leave the worms tightly locked in the can

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:49 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear what I want, I base it on conditions, the journey, the weather and my mood.

My order of importance of Kit is as follows...

Gloves
Helmet
Jacket
Boots
Trousers

I will wear the bear minimum of kit if the weather is nice and I'm staying in 30's why? I cycle in Shorts and T-Shirt at similar speeds why wouldn't I leather up for road cycling if it was that important.

Wearing too much gear is more dangerous than 'not enough' I believe. Imagine you are fully geared on a boiling day, the heat and uncomfortableness will be a distraction and could lead to a loss of concentration and an accident.

Is not as simple as ATG or what you normally wear, it's a balance e.g. Winter gloves lower your control slightly, it's not a lot but the added thickness makes is slightly more difficult to control the bike. Therefore I only wear them if I think that the loss of feeling from the weather will outweigh the loss of control from the thickness.

I pretty much never wear bike trousers anymore, Only if it is raining or I'm on a 'mad one' I've crashed a fair few times and never hurt my legs, the hassle and loss of comfort compared to jeans isn't worth it for me.

I have in regular circulation, (i.e. worn for a period every year on my commute)

2 lids, ('Adventure' for when it is hot and a Normal one)
4 pairs of gloves, (Cold, Medium, Medium WP and Hot)
3 jackets, (Textile, Leather, Mesh)
1 trousers, (Textile)
2 pairs of boots, (Tall WP and Short)

I think I've worn it all at some point this month. Laughing

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:57 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Look, it was a lazy choice of words on my part Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
Baffler186 wrote:

I'l

Thank Christ you are here to tell me what I meant, I almost had to do it myself. Oh I did.

Anyway I don’t care what speed you are doing anyone DRIVING a bike or scooter wearing flip flops is a bell end, but I respect their right to be a bellend if they choose to be one.

Would you say someone who rides a push bike in flip flops is a bell end?

I've ridden in shorts flip flops, the last time was because I was running late from a friends BBQ. He lives about 2 miles away on 30s. I could have cycled but my bike was buried in the shed somewhat. Had I cycled the speed difference would have been negligible.

Personally I feel safer on a Motorbike than a Push Bike, does that mean I should wear boots when I cycle?

In fact I actually raced my Finacee to near enough the same place her in a car me on a push bike and I won.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I always wear all the gear.

Only difference is on the hotter days I have a summer jacket that's half leather and textile/mesh panels to let the air through, and I wear kevlar jeans or armoured combats.

Other than that, boots, gloves, etc.. are as normal.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

supZ wrote:
Personally I always wear all the gear.

Only difference is on the hotter days I have a summer jacket that's half leather and textile/mesh panels to let the air through, and I wear kevlar jeans or armoured combats.

Other than that, boots, gloves, etc.. are as normal.

I am an 'all the gear' person too.

I have fell off (I know that sounds impossible) each spill was an unplanned event. Smile

You can get protective gear that is easy to wear no matter what the weather.
The only time I do not have the gear on is when I turn the bike in the road when 'Detailing' it, when stealing a bike or when Baklafing with ma homies.

Not many folk choose to jump out a plane without a parachute of some sort.

The no protective gear brigade are perhaps like the no gloves, ear protection or eye protection brigade.

They cannot wear the stuff coz Personal Ego. Razz

I love this guy.

https://youtu.be/7t7I464Rvyc

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Look, it was a lazy choice of words on my part Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Would you say someone who rides a push bike in flip flops is a bell end?

Whilst I get the comparison in terms of speed, there are some key fundamental differences.

For instance on a push bike there's not in excess of 150kg of steel between your legs (well I hope not) some of which can get scorching hot.

I've had lighter off road bikes fall on me and I can tell you it's not that comfortable, less so in shorts and slops I imagine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4