Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sadiq Khan has gone too far,

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.
But, it's a river so do emissions laws govern there? If they do, where is the boundary because as far as governments are concerned those large smelly container ships don't actually count when it comes to emissions. We're using American biomass in our 'green' power stations and yet it's shipped using stinking bunker fuel and hauled by stinking trains!
Going into a rant so need to stop - really pisses me off does this green energy shite.

Make the light vehicle Thames ferries electric then - they've started doing it with ships now and they're able to carry a lot of battery weight/energy density.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forte I agree with you to a point. The point ends where Mdf starts. i.e at the idea of using electricity to power everybody's car. My argument is that we won't all have cars for personal transport in the future, electricity will be more expensive to produce than it is now and that we won't import bulk goods anymore because we won't have an economic source of fossil fuels to power ships and unload/transport goods.

Mdf thinks that by saying this I am arguing that horses don't need feed, that people can sail up canals in container ships, that we can produce electricity and hydrogen in massive amounts without carbon-based biomass and that everybody will own a horse. He either genuinely misunderstands me or is being mischievous at my expense.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 years ago Mr Ford was very busy, but hey ho... Why spoil the argument with facts....
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cow farts. The world will run on cow farts (aka methane) Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Quote:
Staggeringly, if a report by the UK’s Guardian newspaper is to be believed. According to their story, just one of the world’s largest container ships can emit about as much pollution as 50 million cars. Further, the 15 largest ships in the world emit as much nitrogen oxide and sulphur oxide as the world’s 760 million cars.

The problem isn’t necessarily with the ships’ 109,000-horsepower engines that endlessly spin away 24 hours a day, 280 days a year. In fact, these powerplants are some of the most fuel efficient units in the world. The real issue lies with the heavy fuel oil the ships run on and the almost complete lack of regulations applied to the giant exhaust stacks of these container ships.

Seriously - That is the biggest load of unadulterated hogwash I have ever heard.

Nox and Sox regulations for shipping have been in place for years. We have had exhaust gas monitoring like no car has since about the 90's. Authorities come on board to check emissions when we get into port.

Also ships are changing to burn LNG (methane) instead of diesel to reduce emissions.

The great thing about ships, and barges on canals, is the amount of goods that can be transported for the power consumed,

FFS a single horse can pull a barge carrying up to 70 tonnes of cargo. One with it's own diesel engine will be no more than 50 HP. Compare that with a road lorry.

Yes, a ship might have up to 100,000 shaft horse power, but look how much cargo it is carrying. If you want to cut down on transport pollution, stop planes.

Diggs is right, if we stop using fossil fuels, sail and horse power is perfectly possible. I have sailed a wherry along the Exeter ship canal, it's not that difficult and thats from a very inexperienced sail sailor.

They quite happily sailed ships like this up and down rivers and canals in the past. Of course we could do it again.

https://photos.francisfrith.com/frith/exeter-the-port-1896_38034.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Cow farts. The world will run on cow farts (aka methane) Thumbs Up

They actually did that on an early episode of Top Gear, with a Rover 2...14 (I think).

Polarbear wrote:
If you want to cut down on transport pollution, stop planes.

This. I think Formula 1 in the bad old gas guzzling V8 days used less fuel over a season that a single long-haul flight... not that environmentalists were impressed with that stat.

When they had that volcanic ash cloud the air definitely felt cleaner* and there was less noise pollution.

*I think MPD has said the same thing before... I'm just anticipating any potential mocking Smile

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aircraft stink. Literally. I was close to Newcastle Airport last week - about 2 miles from the runway and OMG I was choking. The air was filled with engine fumes far worse than any paraffin heater. It felt so heavy in the air.
Must be a nightmare around London.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
Aircraft stink. Literally. I was close to Newcastle Airport last week - about 2 miles from the runway and OMG I was choking. The air was filled with engine fumes far worse than any paraffin heater. It felt so heavy in the air.
Must be a nightmare around London.

Considering they sometimes gas passengers as well there's no mystery about the health impact. It's why I don't get the (pro) diesel argument, I can stand behind my motorbike breathing in the fumes fine, yet if I'm behind a bus or black cab at a set of lights I'm coughing my lungs out.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The future of transport is electric, with freight being done on electrified rail lines and on nuclear powered engines for boats (like submarines and some aircraft carriers use today).

Air travel will be reserved for the ultra wealthy.

Also I've mentioned on here before (perhaps in this thread) that the UK will be at a major advantage due to it being an island nation. Coastal ares and island nations will survive best.

The UK will also be at a major advantage thanks to the canal network, allowing for continuation of inland logistics to major cities beyond where railroads currently go. Funny how such an archaic thing will someday be extremely useful again in the future.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
The UK will also be at a major advantage thanks to the canal network, allowing for continuation of inland logistics to major cities beyond where railroads currently go. Funny how such an archaic thing will someday be extremely useful again in the future.

I think they'll be gridlocked and overflowing with hipsters well before then Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

I think they'll be gridlocked and overflowing with hipsters well before then Smile

Are you calling me a hipster M.C? Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
M.C wrote:

Are you calling me a hipster M.C? Laughing

I think he meant fossils retired seniors Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant all the newcomers invading your waters cap'n.

https://en.tintin.com/images/tintin/persos/images/haddock.png

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
The future of transport is electric, with freight being done on electrified rail lines and on nuclear powered engines for boats (like submarines and some aircraft carriers use today).

Air travel will be reserved for the ultra wealthy.

Also I've mentioned on here before (perhaps in this thread) that the UK will be at a major advantage due to it being an island nation. Coastal ares and island nations will survive best.

They really really won't have nuclear engines running in general freighters. The security risks are too great - dirty bombs much. Then there's the need to produce fuel for those extra engines and dealing with the waste and decommissioning.

Electrifying everything is all too well but it simply pushes pollution to other places - notice how London has barely any wind turbines around it? I can take you to places in Northumberland (an area of outstanding natural beauty) and look in any direction and you'll see fug ugly wind farms. Wind farms which transmit power to the National Grid which in turn powers London among other things. Londoners are NIMBYs.

Canals? Far too narrow and far too inefficient due to resistive load on moving things. They also go everywhere except in straight lines. Finally, they only go so far north and then give up. We'd be better off with long conveyor belts running on solar. Need a box sent somewhere? Drop it on the conveyor.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:

Canals? Far too narrow and far too inefficient due to resistive load on moving things. They also go everywhere except in straight lines. Finally, they only go so far north and then give up. We'd be better off with long conveyor belts running on solar. Need a box sent somewhere? Drop it on the conveyor.

No, they aren't inefficient, in fact they are very energy efficient. What they aren't is fast. It takes 60 hours non stop to get a boat from London to Birmingham and speed is the be and end all in today's society.

Why have planes? Speed
Why have cars? Speed
Why have lorries? Speed

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It takes 60 hours non stop to get a boat from London to Birmingham

Shocked When I used to take Virgin trains it took 90 mins (iirc) and cost £7 Very Happy

I'm guessing cheap travel is why you don't really get hitchhikers anymore.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, so we base pollution purely on carbon emissions.

Probably explains why tards think nuclear is so good, because no carbon emissions, innit. Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see nuclear as good, I just see it as the a solution if we want to keep going as we're. I don't see wind farms or solar panels keeping up with demand unless they're in every field/on every house

However maybe don't stick nuclear power plants on coastlines susceptible to tsunamis or let the soviets build them Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Probably explains why tards think nuclear is so good, because no carbon emissions, innit. Rolling Eyes

Despite all the problems it's easier to get rid of nuclear waste with no environmental effect that carbon emissions.

It's not going to achieve much saying nuclear might fry your balls when your waist deep in rising sea levels. Laughing

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Despite all the problems it's easier to get rid of nuclear waste with no environmental effect that carbon emissions.

It's not going to achieve much saying nuclear might fry your balls when your waist deep in rising sea levels. Laughing

'All the problems' Laughing nutshell, right there.

I was more concerned about the security of storing said waste, should one of our terrorist friends decide to try and go all Guy Fawkes.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:58 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more concerned about the security of storing said waste, should one of our terrorist friends decide to try and go all Guy Fawkes.

That's the least of my worries Neutral The danger comes from accidents or when nuclear waste isn't handled properly, the security at Sellafield seems to be shit hot.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:43 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

That's the least of my worries Neutral The danger comes from accidents or when nuclear waste isn't handled properly, the security at Sellafield seems to be shit hot.

Yeah, the security at airports and Buckingham Palace is great too. Rolling Eyes

The CND had a slogan, probably still do - dirty, dangerous, expensive. Still remains as valid as ever.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6