Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

General Election: 8th June 2017

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that government paper is what? All those councils I listed are lying? My mums a pensioner, obviously I have the income. It's a stupid policy to discourage people from working by charging them well over what most people would consider reasonable. That's actually the opinion of everyone I know when they ask how much I pay (to live at home).

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it free when someone in the house is paying for it? Question
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:29 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
cos I live at home

Everyone lives at home. Neutral

M.C wrote:
I told Mpd he had no idea about my circumstances, and you don't, you don't have an f'ing clue

Well, I do now, sort of.

M.C wrote:
My mums a pensioner, obviously I have the income. It's a stupid policy to discourage people from working by charging them well over what most people would consider reasonable. That's actually the opinion of everyone I know when they ask how much I pay (to live at home).

I still honestly have no idea what your cause for complaint is. If the property is sub-standard and you're paying private market rate, why aren't you moving to a nicer one in the private sector?

Can you run the numbers by us? That might help to explain it.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 20:46 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
So that government paper is what? All those councils I listed are lying? My mums a pensioner, obviously I have the income. It's a stupid policy to discourage people from working by charging them well over what most people would consider reasonable. That's actually the opinion of everyone I know when they ask how much I pay (to live at home).

Interesting you have chosen to criticise me for various choices I have made in my life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
If there's a working adult living there, why should the state pay all the rent?

They shouldn't, but the working person shouldn't pay (most of it) either. A kid getting there first job earning 16k (which's what I started on with my job), would have ~30% of their income going to the council/government, affordable's meant to be below 35% so I guess they're scraping through with that one Rolling Eyes

Not only are you discouraging people from working, you're ignoring why most people live at home (to save money), for a deposit to buy/rent a place. The policy only makes sense when you have more children living at home/working, for a single child it makes no sense.

Rogerborg wrote:
Well, I do now, sort of.

We've discussed this a few times, I've always said I paid a lot to live at home (in a council house).

dodsi wrote:
Interesting you have chosen to criticise me for various choices I have made in my life.

What? I said you spend a fortune leasing a Skoda, which you do. Why does this seemingly torment you so much?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tory manifesto is out: https://www.conservatives.com/manifesto

It's priceless!

No really it's priceless.

All this talk of Labour needing to cost all their pledges. Then what do the Tories do? Fire out an 88 page novel that nobody will read, and it's priceless.

Someone else gave it a good read than had a rant. Here it is:

Quote:
The most extraordinary thing about the Tory manifesto is that you can read pages and pages of it and not come upon a monetary value put on anything. Figures are extremely few and far between indeed, and where there is a cost placed on something there is normally no indication given at all of where the money is coming from.

You have to get to page 14 before you come across a single figure at all. Then it tells you that by 2020 they will increase the personal tax allowance to £12,500 and increase the higher rate threshold to £50,000. But it places no value at all on the next cost of this tax cut, or how it can be afforded.

You have to go through six more pages of waffle before you get the next figure at page 20, a National Productivity Fund of £23 billion. Again, no indication is given of the source of this funding, perhaps because it is very much an old recycled announcement.

Perhaps the most remarkable instance of lack of clarity on funding is the promise of £8 billion extra for the NHS. Again no indication at all is given of where this money is coming from. The only indication of an extra funding source is a levy of £450 per head on overseas students for use of the NHS. That will raise only about £50 million and is just a chance for an attack on a group May particularly hates – and a bone to the racists.

It is impossible not to contrast the complete absence of prices on 95% of the proposals in the manifesto, and the complete lack of explanation of the source of funds on almost all the few items that are costed, with the huge media onslaught on the fiscal detail of the opposition parties’ manifestoes. A completely different standard is being applied to the Tories.

The BBC as usual wheeled out the Institute of Fiscal Studies, the “independent” body representing extreme neo-liberalism. The IFS has been lyrical for hours these last few days giving instant judgements on why the Labour manifesto had holes in it, repeating continually the corporate propaganda that if you increase taxes on the super-rich, they will pay less. But when invited by the BBC to comment on the finances of the Tory manifesto, the IFS merely replied that they would be presenting an analysis of all the manifestoes next Tuesday.

The Tory manifesto is literally priceless – it puts no price on anything. But we all know it will carry a disastrous cost for our public services and for the most vulnerable in our society,

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 21:05 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

dodsi wrote:

What? I said you spend a fortune leasing a Skoda, which you do. Why does this seemingly torment you so much?

And other automotive related mega bants...

I'm not tormented, I'm merely very gently pointing out that before questioning anybody else's choices, take a look at your own.

You could say... people in glass (council) houses... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:

I'm not tormented, I'm merely very gently pointing out that before questioning anybody else's choices, take a look at your own.

No it's more off topic butthurt. If you truly believed in your choices you wouldn't be upset, it's just that we spent pages and pages (remember that?) discussing leasing where you couldn't even prove a Micra was cheaper.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 21:19 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
dodsi wrote:

No it's more off topic butthurt. If you truly believed in your choices you wouldn't be upset, it's just that we spent pages and pages (remember that?) discussing leasing where you couldn't even prove a Micra was cheaper.

I remember pages and pages of you not reading anything correctly and arguing somewhat random non thought through arguments, looks like history repeats itself.

Butt hurt as you say I am not, I'm purely pointing out it's interesting who you choose to challenge.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
How is it free when someone in the house is paying for it? Question

Because doleys are given the money to pay the rent as part of their universal credit, doofus.

Where does it say MC is a doley, Donk?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
I remember pages and pages of you not reading anything correctly and arguing somewhat random non thought through arguments, looks like history repeats itself.

Like my theoretical example of how much it cost to run a car, which I then purchased and backed up with receipts? Eh?

dodsi wrote:
Butt hurt as you say I am not, I'm purely pointing out it's interesting who you choose to challenge.

So pauper should be quiet? I am in awe of your rented Skoda and interest only mortgage actually.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:59 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

You could put Tony Bliar's grinning skull at the top of that and nobody would bat an eyelid.

M.C wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

They shouldn't, but the working person shouldn't pay (most of it) either.

Why on earth not? We seem to have a complete disjoint in expectations about who should pay for things.

M.C wrote:
A kid getting there first job earning 16k (which's what I started on with my job), would have ~30% of their income

£14,161 take home = £1,180 a month = £354 a month in rent?

Did you say you lived in London?

M.C wrote:
going to the council/government

You might think of it as £354 a month that a taxpayer isn't being rinsed in order to pay for the roof over your head in addition to what they already have to pay for the one over theirs. I know I do.

We're talking abstracts here. If the facts are persuasive, can you just tell us how much you're paying, and in which area?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

You could put Tony Bliar's grinning skull at the top of that and nobody would bat an eyelid.

M.C wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

They shouldn't, but the working person shouldn't pay (most of it) either.

Why on earth not? We seem to have a complete disjoint in expectations about who should pay for things.

M.C wrote:
A kid getting there first job earning 16k (which's what I started on with my job), would have ~30% of their income

M.C wrote:
going to the council/government

You might think of it as £354 a month that a taxpayer isn't being rinsed in order to pay for the roof over your head in addition to what they already have to pay for the one over theirs. I know I do.

We're talking abstracts here. If the facts are persuasive, can you just tell us how much you're paying, and in which area?

He said that's what he started on, not what he's on now.

Don't be doing a bnp72 on us. Mr. Green

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Just so I'm clear on your perspective, 16yr old kid doesn't want to be a doley like mam and dad, goes gets a job but then the (Tory) government decides they should pay most of the rent when they're trying to do the right thing? Or in my situation, should I tell my elderly mother to go get a job and stop being a sponging pensioner?

Quote:

Slightly higher but this is a national (as in England) thing, are people in cheaper shithole areas feeling like they're getting a good deal?

Quote:
You might think of it as £354 a month that a taxpayer isn't being rinsed in order to pay for the roof over your head as well as the one over theirs. I know I do.

See my above points. They're punishing people who want to work, which going back to the point which started all of this, shows the Tories aren't about working people. Attacking and vilifying the poor sure.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:20 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you arguing that he's now paying substantially less than 30% of income in rent? Thinking

The actual cost and the area would be informative. Let's see if it's over what most people would consider reasonable.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Are you arguing that he's now paying substantially less than 30% of income in rent? Thinking

The actual cost and the area would be informative. Let's see if it's over what most people would consider reasonable.

Makes about a 5% difference (27% vs 32% (I think)). I'll happily play but we're massively off topic, unless this election's being fought on the issue of my housing costs (bloody should be Folded arms)?

Last edited by M.C on 22:37 - 18 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqasdgg76523q7f/unstrong-unstable.jpg?raw=1

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Average weekly social housing rent where I live is £80 for a 2 bed semi. The biggest employer in my local area pays NMW at the highest age category for the basic proles on a 40 hour week. Works out at about £13,900 after deductions?

Yearly rent is £4,160 @ £80*52. That's round about 30% to me. If you consider the council tax, call it £20 a week, that's closer to 40%. Doesn't sound all that good to me.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 06:56 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'll happily play

Then what's the actual cost and the area?

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 07:13 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

So pauper should be quiet? I am in awe of your rented Skoda and interest only mortgage actually.

I feel inverted snobbery is at play here, and now you are extending that perception out onto other things. What would make you assume that I would have an interest only mortgage? Because I lease a car?

Should I extend the same assumptions on you? Let's try...

I am in awe of your dads 'Cor Blimey' trousers and profession in the sanitary and waste disposal services.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:01 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can remove an individual from a company or a business.

You cannot however remove an individual from an economy.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:55 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
You cannot however remove an individual from an economy.

China-China-China does it all the time.

Austria is making noises about removing up to 100,000 Turks.

It's a matter of determination.

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
I'll happily play

Then what's the actual cost and the area?

Gone all coy?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 21 of 69