Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scottish Nationalism

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 26 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Nothing wrong with a decent haggis. Amazing how we baulk at what the Chinese eat when haggis, blood pudding and faggots* are top tier stuff Smile

*Mr. Brain's

Until,.......gout! Shocked

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:09 - 26 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it's far from the worst trigger, it's mostly oatmeal. Depends how much liver they put in.

In fairness, the Mcsween veggie haggis is very nice too.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 26 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Although it's far from the worst trigger, it's mostly oatmeal. Depends how much liver they put in.

So is the Simon Howie veggie haggis. I'm a fan of his dry cured bacon too.

Also Stornoway black pudding FTW.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:13 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

So is the Simon Howie veggie haggis. I'm a fan of his dry cured bacon too.

Also Stornoway black pudding FTW.

Bury black pudding knocks anything out of the park.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to drag it back to the thread topic but I was reading this comment on Australian compulsory voting:

https://www.abc.net.au/religion/bonotti-strangio-australian-experience-of-compulsory-voting/13531720

I think I'm right in saying the SNP are regularly elected on low voter turnouts so one might wonder what the political landscape north of the border might look like if everyone chipped in.

But then I recalled the Oz reaction to Covid Sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:32 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Sorry to drag it back to the thread topic but I was reading this comment on Australian compulsory voting:

https://www.abc.net.au/religion/bonotti-strangio-australian-experience-of-compulsory-voting/13531720

I think I'm right in saying the SNP are regularly elected on low voter turnouts so one might wonder what the political landscape north of the border might look like if everyone chipped in.

But then I recalled the Oz reaction to Covid Sad

There's no slightly right of centre option in Scotland. The Conservatives are a poison chalice for many and will be until Gen X are no longer voting. So people with that political leaning tend to just stay at home.

I suspect the low turnout is more a comment on lack of confidence in any of the political parties rather than voter apathy. You have to wonder if there was compulsory attendance like they have in Australia, if there would be many more votes cast. Remember it's not actually compulsory voting in Australia. You are entirely at liberty to vote for nobody. The number of spoiled ballots in Australia is 17 times higher than in the UK, running at about 5%. Many people turn up and draw a cock and balls on their ballot paper. I suspect Scots would be even more inclined to do that.

Turnout Stats: 57% average turnout for Scottish parliament elections compared to 64% for UK parliamentary elections in Scotland over the same period. 66% turnout in the UK as a whole for parliamentary elections over the same period.

85% turnout for the independance referrendum, 67% for the Brexit referrendum and 60.4% for the devolution referrendum in Scotland.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
So people with that political leaning tend to just stay at home.

Madness. I can never figure this "my candidate can't win so I won't bother voting for them" attitude. Polling stations are usually open quite late and AFAIK purposely located in convenient places so that's no excuse. Even a protest vote is valuable. Incumbent wins with a massive majority "everyone loves me, crack on!" slim majority "oh shit, better pay attention."

One would hope anyway.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
So people with that political leaning tend to just stay at home.

Madness. I can never figure this "my candidate can't win so I won't bother voting for them" attitude. Polling stations are usually open quite late and AFAIK purposely located in convenient places so that's no excuse. Even a protest vote is valuable. Incumbent wins with a massive majority "everyone loves me, crack on!" slim majority "oh shit, better pay attention."

One would hope anyway.

Dreamer. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:50 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

One would hope anyway.

Assuming there's a candidate standing you would be prepared to vote for. I've been in that position in a Scottish election before. Labour, nope, the SNP candidate was a far leftie waste of space. Tory Nope. No liberals standing and the only other option was BNP who I put as a protest.

Thing with the STV system with list candidates is a large protest vote has a tendancy to get candidates elected. Look at the Greens, who are mostly harmless in fairness, but it could backfire and you land up with an extremeist SMP.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose when it comes right down to it if you can't have what you want i.e. representative democracy you'd at least know what you don't want: tyranny.

Given even Hitler got voted in initially the SNP should be no surprise; democracy only works up to the point the nutters get in Sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:17 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SNP fulfill two roles. They're the single issue nationalist vote and they're the default "Not labour or Tory" vote since lib-dem disappeared up their own arse. Which is a shame, because there were some good lib-dem politicians in Scotland who actually represented their local area rather than playing the party politics game.

Difficult to seperate which of the two they are. I suspect they'll stand on a single nationalist ticket in the next election.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I dont really know what my trigger level is but the attack last year was so bad that apart from some chicken a couple of times a week ive ditched meat almost completely.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I suppose when it comes right down to it if you can't have what you want i.e. representative democracy you'd at least know what you don't want: tyranny.

Given even Hitler got voted in initially the SNP should be no surprise; democracy only works up to the point the nutters get in Sad

What, you mean "here have democracy, vote in the people you want... No no no no no, not THOSE people!!!!"?

I'm a huge fan of the STV flavour of PR - it messes up party politics and gets the people that do the most good elected. We have it for local authority elections and it's booted out some previously unshiftable stinkers. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The SNP fulfill two roles. They're the single issue nationalist vote and they're the default "Not labour or Tory" vote since lib-dem disappeared up their own arse. Which is a shame, because there were some good lib-dem politicians in Scotland who actually represented their local area rather than playing the party politics game.

Difficult to seperate which of the two they are. I suspect they'll stand on a single nationalist ticket in the next election.

Our local MSP is one of the good Lib Dems. Our Lib Dem MP can fuck right off - he sold out for party power.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The SNP fulfill two roles. They're the single issue nationalist vote and they're the default "Not labour or Tory" vote .....

and within this target electorate ... what percentage are the .. unwashed .. ill educated .. workshy .. addictive personality .. urbanites ?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
The SNP fulfill two roles. They're the single issue nationalist vote and they're the default "Not labour or Tory" vote .....

and within this target electorate ... what percentage are the .. unwashed .. ill educated .. workshy .. addictive personality .. urbanites ?

Non-voters I'd suspect.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
What, you mean "here have democracy, vote in the people you want... No no no no no, not THOSE people!!!!"?

Well yes, the US is particularly afflicted by that mantra at the moment.

It used to be that Labour represented the working man and the Tories the professional classes with nationalism just a sideshow for either. Now with neither being even vaguely representative nationalism has turned into a solid meal ticket. Kinda hints there needs to be a similar push in England. Maybe from the Right this time seeing how the Left's attempt at nationalism failed so dismally Thinking

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

It used to be that Labour represented the working man and the Tories the professional classes with nationalism just a sideshow for either. Now with neither being even vaguely representative nationalism has turned into a solid meal ticket. Kinda hints there needs to be a similar push in England. Maybe from the Right this time seeing how the Left's attempt at nationalism failed so dismally Thinking

That cant really be true given the working classes massively out number the white coller professionals. There's always been a lot of blue coller torys, thats how the Tories have been in power more frequently than the left. That and on the right theres a very high turnout of those whos interests lay in the Tories being in power. The left suffers from a split vote across several parties and often poor voter turnout amongst those who the left seeks to represent. It would be interesting to see what difference compulsory voting would make.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:26 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Tory voters are the elderly.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voting Labour does seem to be something you grow out of.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/inlineimage/2019-12-18/How%20Britain%20voted%202019%20age%20crossover%20new.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Non-voters I'd suspect.

. Your thinking the young end of the demographic.... In this incidence the other end does vote... Because they are angry.. feeling betrayed by the closures of heavy industry and have the time to vote ..... And piss their liver away..

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:

Well yes, the US is particularly afflicted by that mantra at the moment.

The US has always been afflicted by that mantra. Remember when democracy came about in the Lebanon with open elections? The US were over the moon about it. Then they voted for Hezbollah and the cries of "no no no no no no not THAT sort of democracy" were deafening. Laughing

To be honest, independence for Scotland and the removal from Westminster's sphere of influence can't come soon enough.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
To be honest, independence for Scotland and the removal from Westminster's sphere of influence can't come soon enough.

Much like Brexit, once you’ve got rid of one tier of worse-than-useless yet entitled rulers you’ll find what you’re left with with is pretty hopeless too, yet we’re unlikely to get the opportunity to fix ‘em.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Islander wrote:

Much like Brexit, once you’ve got rid of one tier of worse-than-useless yet entitled rulers you’ll find what you’re left with with is pretty hopeless too, yet we’re unlikely to get the opportunity to fix ‘em.

I'm a tad more optimistic than that.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:22 - 27 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

I'm a tad more optimistic than that.

It's a real feature of the Scots despite out dour appearance. You just need to look at sports events. Scots supporters turn up to every event believing we MIGHT win.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 177 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 23 of 48