Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

More and more boat migrants

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 205, 206, 207  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dan_flash
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:10 - 13 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
If it's so Allah-awful in Assfuckistan, why aren't they settling in the first European nation that they wash up in?

Because Italy and Malta have run out of fucks to give and just send them back. The migrants/refugees/whatevers all know this.

Brool Story Co; I went to Verona with my girlfriend and two Polish friends last weekend. It was lovely, in case you're wondering.
On the train back there were at least 40 odd refugee/migrant/whatevers and I shard my water with one of them, who didn't even have shoes. He told me he was from Eritrea and going to Germany, they all were.

Now I'm bored of telling this story so I'll just say this: if I were born in some disease-ridden war-torn shite hole like Somalia or Eritrea, I'd risk my life and give everything I ever had for even the remotest chance of having a slightly better life for my family. Illegal or not.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 13 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is Britain has done forced repatriation before.

As the OP stated the Vietnamese boat people.

They let a Dutch container ship dock with 4000 migrants in it.

The British Colonial government let them stay and let them work, which was rather nice of them. Hong Kong was considered to be the promised land. 70000 more arrived in the next year. This increased to 100,000 (consider the HK population then was 4 million) for a short time.

By the mid 80s the colonial government simply interned them and prevented them from working and even stepping on land. A huge death prison camp was built in Tun Mun. They were no longer given the right to work and were not given anything.

This resulted in Anchor babies, where they'd get pregnant and jump ashore just before giving birth. This policy remains today anybody born on HK soil with certain genetic markers is considered a Chinese citizen.

As a result you'd see boats giving rides to people for money Clive James had a show about this where he took a ride with a Vietnamese woman who nearly killed him in the harbour.

By the mid 80s the Colonial government were tired of them and simply made them go away at gun point. Forcing many to return to Vietnam and sending them elsewhere.

Today there are a small community of Vietnamese people in Hong Kong.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:34 - 13 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_flash wrote:
if I were born in some disease-ridden war-torn shite hole like Somalia or Eritrea, I'd risk my life and give everything I ever had for even the remotest chance of having a slightly better life for my family. Illegal or not.

Of course you would. Anyone would. Everyone would. We can't take everyone though.

Was the train full of families then?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 13 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Anyone would. Everyone would. We can't take everyone though.

Which is why the England Scotland border needs to be closed. We can't take all the economics migrants from the wasteland that is Scotland.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dan_flash
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:11 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Of course you would. Anyone would. Everyone would. We can't take everyone though.

Was the train full of families then?

Na you cant take them all, your island is in a bit of a state as it is.
But other EU or EEA members have space and could use some cheap labour, read: settled asylum seekers. Norway? Sweden? The Finns could do with some people, and Germany is always looking for foreigners to do menial jobs for low pay to artificially deflate their unemployment statistics.

What I don't understand - why is there not already the measures in place to deal with the surge of non-EU migrants / asylum seekers? Dublin II (the current system) clearly isn't fair.

And yup - nigh all of them were seemingly families. I'm talking the full monty - women, children, men, even a woman who was pregnant.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:45 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_flash wrote:
other EU or EEA members have space and could use some cheap labour

Sure, but...

dan_flash wrote:
And yup - nigh all of them were seemingly families. I'm talking the full monty - women, children, men, even a woman who was pregnant.

... that means costs. Medical, education, more housing, more utilities.

Europe does have a demographic problem and needs breeders. I'm just not sure whether it'll absorb them or be engulfed by them.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:22 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Europe does have a demographic problem and needs breeders.

A pretty short term solution, making things far worse in the long term. When in a hole stop digging.

All the best

K

dan_flash
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:00 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Correct. And these costs could, in theory, be easily taken care of by some sort of EU institution based in some North West non-Town, like Maastricht or somewhere, who cares.

But in practice that won't happen and the discussion will just go all political because no Politiker wants to lose their ever-so-important Nationalistic supporters and the right-of-centre voters also don't like it when their Man In Office goes all soft and Commy and starts whining on about solutions to the problem of the North African Boat People and ethics and blah blah blah...

Point being: politics plays the key role here, not economics and sociology.

Kickstart wrote:
A pretty short term solution, making things far worse in the long term. When in a hole stop digging.

Correct. But in this case, the hole will keep getting deeper anyway. So you may as well at least determine what shape the hole will be.
And by that I mean; set up a resettlement programme for the Asylum Seekers which spreads the burden over all EEA States, resettle the Asylum Seekers where they will be of most value and function to society, and eradicate choice for them (don't just resettle them in the country where they made their application, instead consider the above criteria and pick a suitable EEA member state thereafter).

And having just read my reply again, I think I'm being rather naive and idealistic now Confused
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:07 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Such a settlement plan is rather different to hoping for immigration to continually come in to support an ageing population while ignoring that it is just adding to that ageing population.

We have had a more traditional system of dealing with an ageing population of shipping them off to Spain to retire Wink

All the best

K

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_flash wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Correct. And these costs could, in theory, be easily taken care of by some sort of EU institution based in some North West non-Town, like Maastricht or somewhere, who cares.

But in practice that won't happen and the discussion will just go all political because no Politiker wants to lose their ever-so-important Nationalistic supporters and the right-of-centre voters also don't like it when their Man In Office goes all soft and Commy and starts whining on about solutions to the problem of the North African Boat People and ethics and blah blah blah...

Point being: politics plays the key role here, not economics and sociology.

Kickstart wrote:

Correct. But in this case, the hole will keep getting deeper anyway. So you may as well at least determine what shape the hole will be.
And by that I mean; set up a resettlement programme for the Asylum Seekers which spreads the burden over all EEA States, resettle the Asylum Seekers where they will be of most value and function to society, and eradicate choice for them (don't just resettle them in the country where they made their application, instead consider the above criteria and pick a suitable EEA member state thereafter).

And having just read my reply again, I think I'm being rather naive and idealistic now Confused

I think you are as well. Laughing

The only way to sort it is to make their country a better place to live but look what happens when 'we' go into other countries to sort it out.

There is no nice kitten cuddling answer and once it stops being news we can send he warships back to port and let them carry on drowning as sea.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

All the best

K

Unless you use the never let them settle method. As with most Asian nations you invite them to work for the prime period of their lives.

Then once they get a bit older and are past their prime they are immediately deported at gunpoint.

This happened all the time in the British Empire, the moment they show any signs of illness and being past their prime deportation with a life time ban on ever entering the country even as a tourist.

The UK government did something similar with the Ghurkas and also the Iraqi/Afghan translators. Once they were no longer deemed useful they were pretty much left to die.

Last edited by Itchy on 13:45 - 14 Jun 2015; edited 1 time in total

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Anyone would. Everyone would. We can't take everyone though.

Which is why the England Scotland border needs to be closed. We can't take all the economics migrants from the wasteland that is Scotland.

The actual Scottish aren't so much the problem, it's iScotland's desire for a virtual open border that concerns me most.

Kickstart wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Europe does have a demographic problem and needs breeders.

All the best

K

Indeed. We need to reward educated people for having children, not reward immigrants and child benefit seekers or having children.

Vincent wrote:
Most of the refugees I've seen being interviewed say the same thing - that they just want to go back to their homes and live in peace.

They should be given a flight and a ban from returning.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not be migrantist.... what about these ones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syyl0gfNDRE
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:23 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Let's not be migrantist.... what about these ones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syyl0gfNDRE

Doesn't look like fleeing refugee families to me.

Surely some mistake. There was this train, see...

dan_flash
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:41 - 16 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I'd love to know why you think the illegal immigrants in Calais are all nice, law abiding, model citizens, who will only benefit the country.

Personally, I'd prefer it if we could chose which people to let.

Well according to this, which in this case is Asutria-centric but still uses EU law as its' frame of reference, countries actually can, believe it or not, choose who they let in and who they don't (above link is mega lefty NGO fodder by the way, designed to help the boat people on humanitarian grounds or something maybe).

And given the above, it's a wonder why Britain doesn't just enforce its' borders better using Dublin II as a means to sending the boat people back south. It is perfectly feasible, apparently, according to the above.

Becuase I was on a train back from Ita

Rogerborg wrote:
Surely some mistake. There was this train, see...

Oh nevermind.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 18 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or we could troll them like this Dutch truck driver trolled them:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=196_1434573615
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 354 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 205, 206, 207  Next
Page 4 of 207