Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit negotiations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 27 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
I'm not sure why he thinks we are so dire at that lark, we are world class. And just like any manufacturing base, we have some damp squibs mixed in. What we are though is expensive.

The major problem is that strengths and innovations are not capitalised upon much if at all.

It takes somebody ELSE from outside to capitalise on innovations.

There are some major inventions in British history that important people said oh that's interesting and shoved them into a drawer. For instance the jet engine Frank had a working prototype in 1930. The British higher ups oh that's interesting and ignored it.

Same with the hovercraft.

Hell even in Motorcycle manufacturing. The twin spar frame was developed by men in sheds. The remnants of the British motorcycle industry scoffed at it Honda took some photos and copied it. Or the BMW telelever suspension. It was invented by some bloke in a shed in the 80s. BMW simply waited till the patents expired and copied it.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 27 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blighted by poor management.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 27 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

One story to interest you from a colleague in another field, he works for a company that manufacturers very specific kit and supplies for a certain process, he is very good at what he does. His company entertained visitors from (you guessed it) China.

Showed them the production, the equipment the processes, a little later, alot of patents were submitted for their products, turns out the Chinese had ransacked them using hidden cams Laughing, stolen their ideas and then patented them (apparently not protected, and would it bother the Chinese if they were??).

Probably a lot of half truths in there, but assuming that, who was the idiot?

Just a funny random one I heard.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 27 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Britain's new aircraft carriers are over twice the size of the Spanish carrier. So yes, the UK does a MUCH better job at shipbuilding. Spain's submarines? Oh wait no, they use German submarines. The UK? Astute class submarines are nuclear powered (which Spain can't do) and are by far the most capable submarines in Europe. Destroyers? Britain made it's own, Spain imported all of it's radars and combat systems from the US. Britain wins by a mile, it's a total no contest.

I never said we weren't good at bolting parts together. That's not really manufacturing. The parts are coming from elsewhere. I saw them moving part of the flight deck to the Mersey from the yard. Remarkable thing to see. But, when you're using foreign manufactured goods, because the home grown stuff can't be delivered on time, or to cost...

Another thing, absolutely wonderful having the biggest bestest aircraft carriers, capable of holding 9000 planes. Now all we need is the planes to go on them, isn't it?

Thinking

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:26 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
One story to interest you from a colleague in another field, he works for a company that manufacturers very specific kit and supplies for a certain process, he is very good at what he does. His company entertained visitors from (you guessed it) China.

Showed them the production, the equipment the processes, a little later, alot of patents were submitted for their products, turns out the Chinese had ransacked them using hidden cams Laughing, stolen their ideas and then patented them (apparently not protected, and would it bother the Chinese if they were??).

Probably a lot of half truths in there, but assuming that, who was the idiot?

Just a funny random one I heard.

UK gov definitely needs to take a much tougher line on the chicoms.

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:

I never said we weren't good at bolting parts together. That's not really manufacturing. The parts are coming from elsewhere. I saw them moving part of the flight deck to the Mersey from the yard. Remarkable thing to see. But, when you're using foreign manufactured goods, because the home grown stuff can't be delivered on time, or to cost...

Another thing, absolutely wonderful having the biggest bestest aircraft carriers, capable of holding 9000 planes. Now all we need is the planes to go on them, isn't it?

Thinking

We already have the planes.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

But nothing to say about the rest of it?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 29 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

5 Euros says that Davis quits by Christmas when it becomes clear that Sharia has no intention of invoking Article 50.

That or he needs to start learning French asap Laughing

Quote:
Mr Barnier, who insists on conducting all his negotiations in French, will oversee Brexit negotiations

Anyhow Barnier is experienced professional who knows his way in the City. The probleme here is the other side of the negotiations. What we have here is David Davies, who's been known to cause spontaneous by-elections, Boris Johnson - who ran away when he won the referendum and Liam Fox - a former minister who resigned over shortcomings over his dealings with parliament. How on earth you expect this shambolic trio to achieve something meaningful I have no idea...

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 30 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://news.sky.com/story/all-royal-navys-advanced-destroyers-in-port-10516991

This must be that reliable epic British manufacturing we were talking about earlier.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 30 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be that reliable epic British manufacturing we were talking about earlier.

Boy george probably put off paying service them until after the eu ref and now they're all due
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 30 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:

Boy george probably put off paying service them until after the eu ref and now they're all due

Dodgy engines.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 31 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a collaboration between Rolls Royce and an American firm, all credit to labour gov for going with an unknown quantity rather than the ready to use and already proven set up available, to keep work to the UK. Shame it's at such expense.

Shame Rolls Royce didn't seem to realise it either. You'd have thought someone between the two companies would have picked it up. Rolling Eyes

It is the intercooler specced to the engine that's the issue.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 01 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
In a collaboration between Rolls Royce and an American firm, all credit to labour gov for going with an unknown quantity rather than the ready to use and already proven set up available, to keep work to the UK. Shame it's at such expense.

Shame Rolls Royce didn't seem to realise it either. You'd have thought someone between the two companies would have picked it up. Rolling Eyes

It is the intercooler specced to the engine that's the issue.

Who was the American firm and what was their part in this?

Northrop Grumman (?) and RR led the engine spec.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 01 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already said that. The thing is, the intercooler will be designed to suit the engine. With specs provided by RR.

'in collaboration'

So RR will also have a responsibility in checking the specs too, just like we do when we get miscellaneous bits and pieces in to suit what we offer.

Either way, no problems with the European supplied engines, is there? Laughing

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 01 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are people from each firm who are responsible.

I'll just point out that the tried and tested systems already available, which the UK chose to overlook, were foreign. Wink

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 01 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LM2500 was the alternative tendered, available from GEC.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 04 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoE cut rates to 0.25%

The actual bad news is The Bank of England has also slashed its growth forecasts, following the UK referendum vote.

It now expects growth of just 0.8% next year, down from 2.3% in its May forecasts.

I am pretty sure I have told you long time ago all this antics with the referendum and Cameron "negotiating" are bad for the UK and for the business.

Scaremongering some said. We will be fine. No we are not fine if the growth is slowing down more then after the 2007 crisis.

And the pound at some point today has reached levels from the 80s, much lower then the 2007 crisis.

Note this is happening whilst the UK is still in the EU and it is questionable when and if the UK will trigger Article 50 and actually get out of the the EU.

Pretty sure that there will be no Brexit negotiations and triggering of Article 50 now.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 04 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
BoE cut rates to 0.25%

The actual bad news is The Bank of England has also slashed its growth forecasts, following the UK referendum vote.

It now expects growth of just 0.8% next year, down from 2.3% in its May forecasts.

I am pretty sure I have told you long time ago all this antics with the referendum and Cameron "negotiating" are bad for the UK and for the business.

Scaremongering some said. We will be fine. No we are not fine if the growth is slowing down more then after the 2007 crisis.

And the pound at some point today has reached levels from the 80s, much lower then the 2007 crisis.

Note this is happening whilst the UK is still in the EU and it is questionable when and if the UK will trigger Article 50 and actually get out of the the EU.

Pretty sure that there will be no Brexit negotiations and triggering of Article 50 now.

I'm pretty sure the remain campaign were saying that interest rates would soar following a leave vote.

I'm not sure that many people will be down in the dumps about their mortgage payments being any cheaper.

Oddly you don't look at the countries in the EU that are struggling, like Spain and Greece. Being in the EU is not a guarantee to success, far from it.

Can we now stop with the butthurt and move on?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 04 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Val wrote:
BoE cut rates to 0.25%

I'm pretty sure the remain campaign were saying that interest rates would soar following a leave vote.

I'm not sure that many people will be down in the dumps about their mortgage payments being any cheaper.

Oddly you don't look at the countries in the EU that are struggling, like Spain and Greece. Being in the EU is not a guarantee to success, far from it.

Can we now stop with the butthurt and move on?

I care what will happen with the UK. Not much concerned what will happen with Greece for example or Portugal for that matter.

If the future events prove me wrong I will be more then happy.

To be honest I do not give rat's ass who will govern. What I would like to happen is the UK to have strong economy and the pound to worth more so that I can get more euros when on holiday.

The whole referndum antics so far is doing the oppoiste.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 04 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Considering the low base, an interest rate increase of any significance was going to send it 'soaring'. The difference from the last recession to this one (if it goes that way) will be that we had 5% or so to play with and go backwards from the last time around - where are we going to go from .25%?

For reference - my mortgage (like the vast majority of people's) isn't going to get any cheaper as I'm fixed rate (and those on SVR are unlikely to have their free gift passed on by the bank); conversely my savings will now not be accruing the rate of interest they were prior to the cut, so I'm worse off (like the vast majority of people who have savings).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 4 of 56