Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Corbs Vs May

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
Labour actually closed more than Thatcher.

However, overall from a total of 1,250 pits in 1947 to the present day, 522 mines were closed throughout the UK by Labour and 728 by the Conservatives, including several hundred small licensed mines.
https://www.healeyhero.co.uk/rescue/individual/Bob_Bradley/PM-Closures.html

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/historical-coal-data-coal-production-availability-and-consumption-1853-to-2011

Wilson closed over 200 in 5 years. Thatcher 154 in 11 years.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
M.C wrote:

However, overall from a total of 1,250 pits in 1947 to the present day, 522 mines were closed throughout the UK by Labour and 728 by the Conservatives, including several hundred small licensed mines.
https://www.healeyhero.co.uk/rescue/individual/Bob_Bradley/PM-Closures.html

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/historical-coal-data-coal-production-availability-and-consumption-1853-to-2011

Wilson closed over 200 in 5 years. Thatcher 154 in 11 years.

I'm not arguing when there are stats (assuming they're correct). Also the guy adds:
Harold Wilson closed 253 pits as against Margaret Thatcher’s 115, more than twice as many. However because there were fewer pits left it is without doubt that Yorkshire was decimated by Thatcher in the ratio of about 1 Labour closure to 10 Conservative.

The one who closed the most pits in one 6 year term from 1957 to 1963 was Harold Macmillan with 246, and ‘nobody noticed’, not even me until I researched the figures
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine that most of the Macmillan/Wilson pit closures were probably due to genuine exhaustion or poor geological conditions.
I believe that most of the Thatcher/Major pit closures were almost certainly done out of spite.

Last edited by Raffles on 23:51 - 01 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
So manual workers like plasterers were the upper class, society controlling Illuminati then?

As I keep saying, with you still living with your mum, I have doubts as to your adult experience of 37 years ago.

When did I say I was alive in 1980 genius?

mpd72 wrote:
I barely remember the 70's. Apparently it was shit.

Oh I see you're giving us first hand experience of the 70s (and then berating me? Eh?). I barely remember the 80s, I do remember how poor we and everyone else I knew was. But yeah let's pretend the Tories are the party for ordinary working people Rolling Eyes

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
But yeah let's pretend the Tories are the party for ordinary working people Rolling Eyes

Who do you reckon is the party that represents 'ordinary working people'?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:33 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
M.C wrote:
But yeah let's pretend the Tories are the party for ordinary working people Rolling Eyes

The ones that have the most amateurs standing rather than career politicians who've oozed their way up the greasy poll all their life.

UKIP, Greenomentals, essentially.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we'll actually hear the sound of mpd72's blood vessels bursting echoing around the country if May doesn't win.

In other news: Conservative candidate Craig Mackinlay has been charged over 2015 election expenses.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:35 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Raffles wrote:

The ones that have the most amateurs standing rather than career politicians who've oozed their way up the greasy poll all their life.

UKIP, Greenomentals, essentially.

https://i.imgur.com/xbNRe8A.jpg

https://www.voteforyourself.co.uk/

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:01 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
https://www.voteforyourself.co.uk/

David Icke Party wrote:
Aimed at independently furthering the objectives of:

issues such as climate change, animal rights; Greenpeace; Friends of the Earth; united national campaign against austerity, cuts and privatisation in our workplaces, community and welfare services

https://systemchangenotclimatechange.org/sites/default/files/scncclogocolour_1.png

If you're going to vote for a bunch of ecoterror-communists, the Greens are already on many ballots.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:
When did I say I was alive in 1980 genius?

Err, here?

Really?
M.C wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
I barely remember the 70's. Apparently it was shit.

So were the Eighties unless you were wealthy, and the nineties until New Labour came along.

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:

I barely remember the 80s, I do remember how poor we and everyone else I knew was. But yeah let's pretend the Tories are the party for ordinary working people Rolling Eyes

Do you know what I was on about with the "Loads of Money" character? The crass plasterer waving wads of cash about?

I suspect your childhood, growing up to non working parents in a council estate in Londinium, may not be representative of the 80's as a whole. It was a boom time after the early recession in 81.

Quote:
After recovering from 1981 recession, the UK experienced a long period of economic expansion. Towards the end of the 1980s, the growth rate reached record post-war levels (over 2% quarterly growth – equivalent to 8% 12 month growth).

That's funny, because if you talk to people they'll say Tory policies made it unattractive to work, there's a saying "can't afford to work". Labour at least acknowledge this and have policies that encourage people into work, the Tories think you'll be shamed into employment, which isn't the case when everyone's in the same boat.

Interesting graph: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unemployment_in_the_United_Kingdom#/media/File:UK_Unemployment_Rate_Time_Series.png

Unemployment looked pretty bad in the 80s and 90s to me Thinking

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

M.C wrote:

I barely remember the 80s,

That was after, do try to keep up. You said:
mpd72 wrote:
As I keep saying, with you still living with your mum, I have doubts as to your adult experience of 37 years ago.

After I made a reference to the 80s. You do realise that spans a decade right?

mpd72 wrote:
Record disability living allowance applications.

Oh yeah the Tories did a much better job with their housing benefit cuts, which encouraged long term benefit claimers to go on the sick.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:04 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:
When did I say I was alive in the 80's....... I barely remember the 80's

So you're saying you weren't alive in the 80's then?

Come on, changing what he said when putting it as a quote is really plumbing the depths. You appear to have just added the bits in bold to make his comment on not being alive in 1980 apply to the whole 1980s.

All the best

Katy

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
So you're saying you weren't alive in the 80's then?

No wonder your recollection is sketchy at best! Laughing

^ What Kickstart said.

mpd72 wrote:
Err, no, the Tories introduced re-assessing those who Labour pushed into claiming a bad back, removing many fakers from DLA.

It was quite a bit news story at the time.

It was the Tories who introduced housing benefit caps, meaning people either had to move into a bedsit or come up with some BS medical condition. It moved people from a cheap(er) benefit to an expensive one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10