Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Im looking to do my 1st trip this summer-Anyone up 4 it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:45 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to but- in Embarassed I have done loads of touring (a few years ago !)
Tips and thoughts
I think you are making a very big mistake to try and do 600 miles in a day.

Always allow plenty of time for riders of different abilitys to ride in a safe manner.

Always take CASH , many service stations still do not take cards (if the link is down, ),Last year we tried six different cards in a un-manned station >none worked, we had to wait over a hour for a local to turn up and put his card in to operate the pumps(yes we did give him the cash Thumbs Up

Many Formula 1s do not need to be pre booked , simply enter you card details in a machine, it will then issue you with a entry number and thats it (room usually takes 3-4 people). Always handy if you are delayed on you journey

Can i suggest you learn some very basic French ? ie Can you please help us to find ??????? BLAH .

Most important is go to the post office for a e111 ( unless that has changed as well)

It entitles you to treatment in Hospital in all EU countries (best to be safe- ok)

Travel insurance is around £35.00 for ten days, DO NOT TRAVEL WITHOUT IT !

I am more than happy to help with any other advice or tips if you need it

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 19:54 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate, great tips Mr. Green Mr. Green

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:25 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a "rough" guide Idea

If you travel @ -90 mph your average distance covered is around 60 miles.

This is a good average when riding in groups.

Every time you stop for fuel (average) tank is 115-125miles, (2 hours ) travel at 100mph+ tank range around 100 miles so therefore if a stop takes 10 miniuts (fag and drink) etc, Thinking this works out it is better to ride at slightly slower speed to travel a further distance over time Confused

BTW Le-Luc is a great place with nice roads , the bonus is their is a nice little circuit that is used by many track -day companies Thumbs Up why not check that out Wink

Keep all you documents (originals) in a bumb bag (passport/insurance/e111/vehicle reg and mot)

Take photocopies of all of these and lock them under the seat in a plastic bag.

MAKE SURE TO TAKE A SPARE KEY (keep it taped in a secure place on the bike, I keep mine cable tied under the bottom yoke

BIG BIG TIP Sat-nav !!! why not get a Garmin off e-bay , buy it between you (make sure it is loaded with the correct maps) and then sell it when you come back, loss nothing, gain=a massive saving in time and fuel.

Have a designated lead rider (with the sat-nav) .

Have a tail-end-charlie (usually my job Rolling Eyes ) this person should be the most experienced rider with the bike with the longest tank range.

He/she also acts a the mobile tool carrier(others need not take tools etc but share his luggage).
Essentials are cable ties, nuts and bolts. gaffer tape, tie downs(for towing) Tire gum, chain lube and toilet paper Very Happy Embarassed Take a first aid kit containing headache tabs and Imoduim, shit happens

Ok i know this all sounds a bit anal for a 1300 mile trip but bike shops and services are few and far apart in France.

Very Happy its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it Thumbs Up Good luck and all come back in one piece and ride safel, OK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 17:04 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotta say I don't think trying to do the 600 mile trip back to the ferry in one go is a good idea.
We would need to allow 10 hours to do it, and that won't include any time to get lost. We would also need to be at the ferry terminal for a set time, so any time spent getting lost would be a very bad thing. Also, once over the channel, some of us would have at least another 3 hours ride on this side. So that would be 13 hours in a day to cover well over 800 miles (for me and MrsHippy any way) - I'm afraid that is a very bad idea.

From what I recall, we have the villa from Sunday to Saturday (is that right Niff?) - if so, what I would suggest is travel to Dover(ish) area on the Friday evening and stop at the Travel Lodge (£20 a room or there abouts) for the night, then get an early ferry on the Saturday morning. That would give us a whole day to ride 350 - 400 miles south and to find somewhere to stop (pre booked or not). Then an easy 200 miles or so on the Sunday to try and find the villa. For the trip back, I would suggest leaveing at a 'reasonable' time on the Saturday and doing the 350 - 400 mile stint, then if we book a ferry for early afternoon on the Sunday, it will leave us about the same sort of milage the next day.

We have to remember that this is supposed to be a holiday - I'm sure no one wants to get home and need a week off to recover from it Shocked

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 19:28 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair shout,

the villa is from Saturday night to Friday night though psyco. So we have plenty of time to amble back. (Im in South Wales so also have a fair old trc once nack in the UK).

Dont know if people can get the friday off work as that would give us plenty of time to amble doen too. If not we'll have to come up with a plan B Mr. Green

No dramas though eh. Mr. Green

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 14:01 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

niff5855 wrote:
Dont know if people can get the friday off work as that would give us plenty of time to amble doen too.

Well, I'm off from the Tuesday, so myself and MrsHippy should be able to go down on any day. Also riding the long part of the journey on the Friday will mean less problems getting petrol. Thumbs Up

BigChris
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:08 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Re: Im looking to do my 1st trip this summer-Anyone up 4 it? Reply with quote

niff5855 wrote:
Dont know where, when etc......not bothered really, am open to suggestion. But I'm definitely off for a few weeks this summer. Was thinking of going up to Scotland but after reading the forum I might get a bit more adventurous and go to Europe.

Never been on a bike trip before...in fact, never been to Europe before Embarassed

Anyway, would rather go in a group or at least with someone else, but as none of my mates are bikers I thought I'd see if theres anyone on here up for it.

Cheers !!!

By the way, I'll be going on a ZX-6.

Under normal circumstances I would be up for this, but this year i've got something special - touring Malaysia.

Maybe a bank holiday or a short hop perhaps...

matty8887
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:25 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoHippy wrote:
I've gotta say I don't think trying to do the 600 mile trip back to the ferry in one go is a good idea.
We would need to allow 10 hours to do it, and that won't include any time to get lost. We would also need to be at the ferry terminal for a set time, so any time spent getting lost would be a very bad thing. Also, once over the channel, some of us would have at least another 3 hours ride on this side. So that would be 13 hours in a day to cover well over 800 miles (for me and MrsHippy any way) - I'm afraid that is a very bad idea.

From what I recall, we have the villa from Sunday to Saturday (is that right Niff?) - if so, what I would suggest is travel to Dover(ish) area on the Friday evening and stop at the Travel Lodge (£20 a room or there abouts) for the night, then get an early ferry on the Saturday morning. That would give us a whole day to ride 350 - 400 miles south and to find somewhere to stop (pre booked or not). Then an easy 200 miles or so on the Sunday to try and find the villa. For the trip back, I would suggest leaveing at a 'reasonable' time on the Saturday and doing the 350 - 400 mile stint, then if we book a ferry for early afternoon on the Sunday, it will leave us about the same sort of milage the next day.

We have to remember that this is supposed to be a holiday - I'm sure no one wants to get home and need a week off to recover from it Shocked

Think this is the best idea imo. If we all go down to dover on the friday then travel over to france on the ferry and find somewhere straight away once into france and stop the night, that then leaves saturday morning/mid-day to travel down to the villa where we can all just fall onto the beds lol.

Im thinking about a meet-up on the 28th may to meet people and make sure evrything is organised, if everyone who is going can put up there locations i will select a location which is best for all of us Thumbs Up

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 16:39 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in S.Wales Matty.

i think Mr and Mrs Psyco are near Bath.

As for the travelling, we'll have to set off on the Friday, the only question is what time?? Or rather what time ferry will be catch??

matty8887
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:45 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier the better, well i would say something around 9/10am, will take me 2/3 hours to get to dover from wolverhampton which is west midlands. Probably a 2/3pm ferry, will only take an hour on the ferry and then a hour or 2 for travelling to a hotel etc

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 19:23 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niff is correct, we are just outside Bath, so about an hour from Niff. I think I am off for the 28th, but I'm not sure. If so, I am happy to meet up then.

As for location, four of us are fairly close (within 90 mins), but Illusion is of Peterborough somewhere. I have a spare bed and some floor space if you want to use it, there is also a nice bike meet at The Red Lion in Avebury which we could go to Smile

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 23:28 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've finally had my leave approved - I'll be off from 30/08 - 12/09, so I will have a few days spare either end of the trip Thumbs Up

The schedule as I see it at the moment is something like:

Evening of Thurs 31st Aug: Meet in the Dover area (Travel Inn or similar?)

Fri 1st Sept: Get early ferry across to Bolonge and ride 350 miles or so, stop the night in some cheep hotel or hostel (to be arranged). Get slightly drunk in the evening.

Sat 2nd Sept: ride remaining 250 miles or so to the villa - getting lost a few times on the way, aiming to be at the villa some time in the evening. Get drunk again Very Happy

Sun 3rd - Thurs 7th: Do what ever, go where ever - get drunk again Very Happy

Fri 8th - Hand in keys to Villa and head north. Do about 350 miles taking in some sights and stop somewhere cheep for the night (to be arranged). Get slighty drunk again Very Happy

Sat 8th - Ride remaining miles to Bologne and get ferry back across to Dover. Those that want to can push on the extra miles to get home, those that don't can stop at the Travel Inn for the night.

Sun 9th - Life returns to normal Sad

matty8887
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:35 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have hit it on the head there mate.

That seems like an excellent plan to me, you all agree?

Its all coming together now!! Very Happy

You still up for meeting end of may sometime?

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 23:39 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

matty8887 wrote:
You still up for meeting end of may sometime?

I'm good for the 28th, but won't be able to ride far as I will have been working nights on the 27th Confused
Can do the 29th as well.

matty8887
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:47 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right few things i have thought of.

Arrow Do we need to have a european style reg plate or a sticker on the bike saying we are from GB?

Arrow Should we take any snacks/water or just buy it as we go along? could be expensive?

Arrow Best way to attach all luggage? As im on a sportsbike i havent got the most room, would those vacuum bags be any good?

Arrow Is it best to take a lot of cash with you or are most places card friendly?

Meet up can be 28/29/30th for me if everyone agrees a date i can sort it.

Who is deffo coming on the trip then, so far confirmed are

me
Niff
Psychohippy and his Mrs
Illusion???
Method???

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 19:59 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im up for a meet. Any days good for me as long as I have reasonable notice. - well, a few days hahaha.

Illusion seems to be up for it, and I've pm'd Method to let us know the crack.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you're going to the riviera! sounds like a cool trip Thumbs Up

your uk cards should be accepted everywhere without problems, france was aheads of us with those machines where you pay by entering your pin and they seem to take everything.

One thing I would say is don't expect too much from Marseille, its actually a bit rough, bit of a crime capital of the area, so watch out Thumbs Up

Antibes is a really pretty little town with some nice beaches (and great crepe places) that is worth a visit. The roads behind it (around grasse) are amazing as well, as soon as you get away from the coast the roads start climbing steeply into the hills and mountains so they're nice and twisty. Since you're near, you have to head to the Gorge du Verdon (I know I've said this a few times), the roads there are great and the views fantastic Thumbs Up

The deep cliffs of the Gorges du Verdon are unique in Europe and are one of the greatest tourist attractions in the Provence. Up to 700 m deep, the 21 km long canyon varies in width between 6 and 100 meters at the bottom and 200 meters to 1500 meters at its rim. The gigantic cliffs of calcareous rock are the result of the erosion of the Le Verdon river.
Although much smaller than Arizona's Grand Canyon, Les Gorges du Verdon are deep, compact, wild and beautiful. From Castellane to the village of Rougons, Le Verdon river flows clear and swift, and the road follows along the banks.

pic below is best I can find of the view when you approach but honestly, doesnt do it justice, when you come round another sharp mountain bend and see that so far below....

not sure how long your trip is, but don't forget ferry's to Corsica are pretty reasonable from Nice, takes 3 hrs if you get the fast one and the roads there are unbelievable.

good luck for the trip Thumbs Up

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 21:29 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers mate, looks lush !!!!!

matty8887
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:51 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a very nice ride!

Think we will just ride out to places but it wont be planned, probably a planned trip the day before lol.

Hoping to see alot of the area and ride on some nice twisties Twisted Evil

illusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:33 - 13 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just come back off holiday so catching up with the thread. It all sounds good to me, and I'm still up for it Smile

rockshaven
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:43 - 13 May 2006    Post subject: Euro trip Reply with quote

There are currently 9 of going to France on the 13th July and plan to be back on the Monday night(17th). We will be riding down to Grenoble then a day down to Monte Carlo and venture back via the Alps.
The more the merrier!!!

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 22:18 - 13 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having another poke around for prices to get over there. The cheapest ferries are definitely with the company I posted earlier, but for £10 more we could take the tunnel meaning a reduced crossing time and easier getting on/off. however, this would mean getting an early on over and a late one back - that doesn't worry me, but it might some.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 14 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going over 13th of July, theres a good chance I'll be around. I had an interview for a job down there on friday and it seemed to go well, my girlfriends looking for flats as we speak... so if you fancy let me know nearer the time if/when you're around the Antibes/Nice area and I could try and meet up, maybe show you round some local attractions Thumbs Up

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 10:59 - 14 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye tidy Keen. I think its the 1st week of September we're going, and my geography isnt great, but that sounds good.

Psyco, sounds ok to me mate, I'm up for that.

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 15:59 - 14 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

niff5855 wrote:
Psyco, sounds ok to me mate, I'm up for that.

That is something we can talk about when we meet up.
On that subject, we need to sort something out or time will catch up with us. Like I said before, I am OK(ish) for the bank holiday weekend, but I am working Saturday night, so won't be go for riding far on the Sunday. The Monday I should be fine.

In fact - if everyone wants to come to my place on the Sunday, we can go to the bike meet at Avebury in the afternoon and then come back here for beer and BBQ. There will be beds/floor space available should it be needed Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9