Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just what, exactly, is the point?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Just what, exactly, is the point? Reply with quote

Are there any govt guidelines or directives on just what is the point of life?

Well duh, isn't it obvious?

Well no, it's not actually, not when the issue pertains to governance.

Without an actual point how can it be possible to form a society and pass rational laws? Answer...it can't.

Which explains the absolute fvckwittery that passes for law & order and associated govt incompetance, nazism and general oppression.

Discuss.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:23 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Personally there is no actual point. We are the result of millions of years worth of chemical lucky breaks.

The nearest thing there is to a point is the continuation of the species. Which happens with very little effort, and the continuation of the species purely for the sake of the continuation of the species is itself pointless.

Beyond that any purpose in life, and hence governance, is purely down to what the individuals want.

All the best

Keith

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Personally there is no actual point. We are the result of millions of years worth of chemical lucky breaks.

The nearest thing there is to a point is the continuation of the species. Which happens with very little effort, and the continuation of the species purely for the sake of the continuation of the species is itself pointless.

Beyond that any purpose in life, and hence governance, is purely down to what the individuals want.

All the best

Keith

You're almost right.

Without any point the point becomes pleasure. That and only that.

The point of existance is pleasure. Every single thing you do is for pleasure.

But you'll never hear any govt espousing that fact. Why? Because the rich and powerful already know it, but to keep the toys and the good-times flowing they have to kid everyone else that there's a grander reason. "Responsibility!"

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:33 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

Don't agree. That might be what many individuals want, and hence is the purpose for many individuals, but it is not what all want. Pleasure is one of the reasons people come up with as their reason for existance.

All the best

Keith

igiyf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a pointttt, its been taken away over time..its still there just few know it,operating systems have been installed instead.

soo pathetically bored of all this government shit coming in from all directions the higher u go the more corrupt it gets no ones got a clue losing my belief in reincarnation as theres no way id of put my self in this joke or perhaps i got lost in the tunnel of light due to taking advantage of the abundant supply of god like dmt and took a wrong turning and landed here blaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

Don't agree. That might be what many individuals want, and hence is the purpose for many individuals, but it is not what all want. Pleasure is one of the reasons people come up with as their reason for existance.

All the best

Keith

You are absolutely wrong. Give me any example you like, personal or otherwise, and I'll show you the pleasure in it.

Don't expect to always find it floating on the surface. There's a difference between eating an ice-cream and cleaning dog-shit off your shoe for instance, but both are motivated by pleasure.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:41 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I haven't claimed that I am not motivated by pleasure. Just that motivation by pleasure is a subset of peoples motivations in life.

Some are driven by the need for power or the wish to inflict pain on others irrespective of any pleasure in it for them. Look at those on death row fighting to continue to live a miserable life.

All the best

Keith

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

I haven't claimed that I am not motivated by pleasure. Just that motivation by pleasure is a subset of peoples motivations in life.

Some are driven by the need for power or the wish to inflict pain on others irrespective of any pleasure in it for them. Look at those on death row fighting to continue to live a miserable life.

All the best

Keith

Need for power, seeking of it, obtaining of it = pleasure.

Inflicting pain on others = pleasure.

Fighting to continue a miserable life (avoiding death) = pleasure.

The root motivation of anything a human does is pleasure.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:49 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Need for power, seeking of it, obtaining of it = pleasure.

Assumption.

Hetzer wrote:
Inflicting pain on others = pleasure.

Assumption.

Hetzer wrote:
Fighting to continue a miserable life (avoiding death) = pleasure.

Assumption.

Hetzer wrote:
The root motivation of anything a human does is pleasure.

You are just tranferring your motivation onto others, assuming that they are driven by the same motives. Pleasure is not the motivation for everyone.

All the best

Keith

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not assumptions Keith, unless you choose to believe that not all electric motors are driven by electricity.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:07 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Afraid you are indulging in a circular argument.

Your argument is effectively that all electric motors are driven by electricity, hence all motors are driven by electricity. A major and totalyl unsupportable assumption.

All the best

Keith

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Afraid you are indulging in a circular argument.

Your argument is effectively that all electric motors are driven by electricity, hence all motors are driven by electricity. A major and totalyl unsupportable assumption.

All the best

Keith

I'm stating that the human brain, like an electric motor, is a given quantity. Sure, there are some electric motors with loose wires or duff coils, but a working electric motor is an electric motor that is driven by electricity.

Human beings are motivated by pleasure. That is what makes them desire life. It can even make them desire death.

But if you think otherwise, give an example of an alternative motivation. Then I'll convert it to pleasure, right in front of your eyes.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:24 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
But if you think otherwise, give an example of an alternative motivation. Then I'll convert it to pleasure, right in front of your eyes.

I already have. You didn't convert them to pleasure, you merely made an assumption and used that assumption as proof that in those situations people were still motivated by pleasure.

Pleasure may well be the motivation for most, and there reason for existing. But that does not mean it is for all.

All the best

Keith

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of life is ego.

Everything we do, however selfless we do because it makes us feel good, this is not to be confused with pleasure though.

Ego is responsible for man's selfish assumption that there is a point to life, the fact is, there isn't, atleast not in any tangible sense. Our existance begins and ends with Kickstart's lucky chemical breaks.

Now that we are here, its down to ego. While necessity is responsible for a great deal of invention, the people who did the inventing did so for kudos, monetary gain or possibly even charity.

Irregardless, it all has it's motivation in ego. Money spells power and success, kudos directly feeds the ego with the adulation of your peers, even charitable acts are inherently selfish in that we do them because it gives us a warm rosey glow, which makes us feel good about ourselves.

Its all about varying shades of egotism, the more egotistical you are the more successful you're likely to be, this is as much true for Hitler as it is/was for any saint you care to mention; the only difference being the outcome of their acts.

Thumbs Up

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

I already have. You didn't convert them to pleasure, you merely made an assumption and used that assumption as proof that in those situations people were still motivated by pleasure.

Pleasure may well be the motivation for most, and there reason for existing. But that does not mean it is for all.

All the best

Keith

You didn't give examples of their motivation, you just gave examples of certain acts. Confused

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:
The point of life is ego.

Everything we do, however selfless we do because it makes us feel good, this is not to be confused with pleasure though.

Ego is responsible for man's selfish assumption that there is a point to life, the fact is, there isn't, atleast not in any tangible sense. Our existance begins and ends with Kickstart's lucky chemical breaks.

Now that we are here, its down to ego. While necessity is responsible for a great deal of invention, the people who did the inventing did so for kudos, monetary gain or possibly even charity.

Irregardless, it all has it's motivation in ego. Money spells power and success, kudos directly feeds the ego with the adulation of your peers, even charitable acts are inherently selfish in that we do them because it gives us a warm rosey glow, which makes us feel good about ourselves.

Its all about varying shades of egotism, the more egotistical you are the more successful you're likely to be, this is as much true for Hitler as it is/was for any saint you care to mention; the only difference being the outcome of their acts.

Thumbs Up

How is "makes us feel good" not to be 'confused' with "pleasure"? Confused

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:30 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
You didn't give examples of their motivation, you just gave examples of certain acts. Confused

I gave examples of acts with motivations which are not pleasure and where the actual motivations are obvious. You have merely assumed that your motivation applies to others and so have tried to manipulate their positions to support that assumption.

All the best

Keith

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

I gave examples of acts with motivations which are not pleasure and where the actual motivations are obvious. You have merely assumed that your motivation applies to others and so have tried to manipulate their positions to support that assumption.

All the best

Keith

Laughing No you didn't! You gave examples of acts with absolutely no corresponding examples of motivation whatsoever!

Go on, run them by me again, just in case I missed some hidden subtlety.

The chap seeking power...what's his motivation?

The chap inflicting pain on somebody, what's his motivation?

The chap seeking to avoid execution, what's his motivation?

Give me a motivation that you think is other than pleasure and I'll break it down for you and show you where the pleasure is rooted.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:47 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
The chap seeking power...what's his motivation?

Power

Hetzer wrote:
The chap inflicting pain on somebody, what's his motivation?

The pain inflicted on others (or possibly the power)

Hetzer wrote:
The chap seeking to avoid execution, what's his motivation?

Living

Hetzer wrote:
Give me a motivation that you think is other than pleasure and I'll break it down for you and show you where the pleasure is rooted.

Try if you want but you have already failed at that because you cannot see beyond your own motivation. This is leading you to make assumptions and then treating those assumptions as proof.

All the best

Keith

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've taken it a bit out of context, let me expand.

Pleasure is but one of many feelings that feeds your ego, pride is another, for some its pain and suffering.

I take your point though, pleasure is a great driving force, but it's only one of many that feeds your ego, as mentioned before; pride, pain and suffering, love, charity, cruelty, hatred.

If you want to quantify the meaning of life with a feeling it would have to be satisfaction, it covers all input into the ego (including pleasure) and encapsulates the ideal human condition, (which is entirely relative to the individual.)

I suppose, in a sense, the point of life is to assuage our ego. Which is a wee bit sad, but there you go. Rolling Eyes If there was no ego, there would be no war, jealousy, hatred, pride etc etc etc. But there would also be no human advancement because its largely driven by the same things.

Thumbs Up

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what does the achievement of power give? Pleasure.

What does inflicting pain on others give? Pleasure. Maybe in the act itself, or for something obtained by it (information, revenge etc).

Living, to be able to continue experiencing what small pleasures are left while imprisoned.

This is not just my motivation Keith, it's everyones motivation. You, clearly, haven't even scratched the surface with your analysis. Think deep, and stop assuming different peoples brains work differently at fundamental levels. Your motivation is everyones motivation, at the root. Think about it and stop confusing acts and achievements as an end to thekmselves. How could they possibly be so, if they were nobody would do them. Seek power, simply for the sake of power? Where's the motivation in that?! Go for a drive in the country, simply for the sake of it? WTF?! Laughing

Pa-Broon...

Pride = pleasure.

There is sometimes a direct correlation...eating an ice-cream, direct simple sensory pleasure.

Cleaning dog-shit off your shoe...the pleasure of having a clean shoe.

Pleasure inhabits a wide spectrum, from very simple to deeply complex. But it's the root of all human motivation regardless. Every single thing we do is motivated by the search for pleasure. Physical, mental, spiritual.

You do really have to THINK about it to see it. And not by observing and questioning and analysing others. All you have to do is think about why YOU do something, then apply what you find to every other human being. It's hard-wired, it can't be different from person to person. It's not something that varies from person to person, it's hard-coded in the physical structure of the brain. Without it no person could function.

Try it, as an experiment...every time you do something, ask yourself "why am I doing this?" If it's not a first-level act/motivation go to the next level. Then the next, as necessary, until you find the root. It'll be there, you'll always find it. Pleasure.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:21 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

No. You are making assumtions again. You have proven nothing.

I am afraid it is you have not been able to see beyond your own motivations to analyse others.

You can keep coming back with assumptions but they worthless on their own.

All the best

Keith

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

No. You are making assumtions again. You have proven nothing.

I am afraid it is you have not been able to see beyond your own motivations to analyse others.

You can keep coming back with assumptions but they worthless on their own.

All the best

Keith

Then instead of erroneously describing power as a motivation in and of itself, describe the reason why somebody would seek it.

"You seek power?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because I want it."

"Yes, but why do you want it?"

"So I can be powerful."

"Why do you want to be powerful?"

"I just do."

You see where your line of reasoning goes Keith? It goes nowhere.

Now let's try mine.

"You seek power?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"So I can be powerful."

"Why do you want to be powerful?"

"So I can do stuff."

"Why do you want to do stuff?"

"Because it makes me feel good."

PLEASURE.

Using the same technique Keith, outline how your reasoning goes. Prove me wrong. Not just by repeating the same mantra ("assumptions") but with something concrete. If you're unable to do that you lose the argument. Unless that's another "assumption". Wink

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:53 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

You see where your line of reasoning goes Keith? It goes nowhere.

Mine goes nowhere because, based on my first post, there is nowhere for it to go except what the person has as their motivation. Similarly yours goes nowhere, just you have decided that pleasure is the where you will stop bothering to look. No different to stopping at power or anything else. Just again you have made an assumption and are using that assumption as proof.

Come back when you can come up with a coherant argument without relying on assuming that others have the same motivation as yourself.

All the best

Keith

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

hetzer wrote:
If you want to quantify the meaning of life with a feeling it would have to be satisfaction, it covers all input into the ego (including pleasure) and encapsulates the ideal human condition, (which is entirely relative to the individual.)

You talk about pleasure which is fine, relative to you and your set of beliefs. When Keith said:

kickstart wrote:
You have merely assumed that your motivation applies to others and so have tried to manipulate their positions to support that assumption.

Ironically, it is a matter of powerful egocentricity to assume that all other people believe the same things you do, so much so, that it never enters your head other folk might think something else.

Which is odd, because in other areas, you seem able to think on several levels and lots of different directions. Its interesting to see your unable or unwilling to do so when it comes to matters of humanity. Wink

Pleasure might be one of the fuels, but ego is the engine and its definitely a hybrid.

Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12