Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend me a bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 19:11 - 12 Jan 2006    Post subject: Recommend me a bike Reply with quote

Something along the lines of this big bugger...
https://www.bikez.com/bike/20422/index.jpg

However it needs to be much cheaper, simpler, smaller, lighter and not made by BMW. I am after a bike to go exploring on, which means it needs to cover everything from big open motorways down to tiny dirt tracks, be reliable, simple, as light weight as possible and able to take a few knocks. Budget is not fixed but I'd prefer to spend less than 3 grand on buying something and doing any work needed to make it suitable. So far inspiration is lacking so I'm after a bit of help, suggest something to look into?

Whatever I eventually end up with will also be my steed for a 6/7 thousand mile trip around Europe in a few months time, so it needs to be up to the job. Think twisty alpine roads, muddy Ukrainian forest tracks and miles upon miles of dead straight German autobahn. I need a proper all-rounder...

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 23:42 - 12 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything with less than 100bhp is going to feel under-powered on an autobahn, if you want off-road ability you're going to have to compromise.

Any particular reason for not going for a BM? There's probably a reason why they are very popular over there... every second bike you see in the Alps is one.

I'd be thinking of something like an Yamaha XT600 if you intend doing much off-roading, or maybe a KTM 640 Adventure if you can get one for your budget.

18_stuart_88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what ive looked for it all seems to be BMW bikes that are coming up for touring.

I eventualy found a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, which looks to be able to carry a lot of luggage and also doesnt look to heavy either. Im not to sure if it might be abit to fast for what your wanting it to do with it.

Ive attached a picture of one with luggage compartments attached. Thumbs Up

Stu
Make: Honda NSR 125 R Year: 2004 Colour: Black And Silver - Died on December 18th 2005, Layed to rest December 30th 2005 :(Make: Aprilia RS 125 Year: 2000 Colour: Black And Red - Derestricted Smile Sold!
Make: Suzuki GSXR 600 SRAD Year: 1998 Colour: Red - White - Blue Mr. Green
Pic of My New Bike!!

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt look very suited for Off-Roading unfortunately.

I personally think that the BMW's are great touring bikes, this is of course without ever owning one. Like maurice said, there are lots of them for a reason.

Failing that i also agree that the KTM would be a good bet as they are great offroad. I know this from my Moto-x days, would have killed to have had one back then.

On a side note, ive heard the C90's are good offroad Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:30 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLR650 was always good on road (though max of about 100mph) and could just about handle off road, though a fair bit ladier than it's younger cc relative.
Transalp.

If it was me, I'd be looking at a BMW100GS (not that I've ridden one), presuming I couldn't afford the newer ones which are quite tasty.
The older ones should be pretty easy to fix, not that anything's too likely to go wrong around europe.

How much luggage are you taking?

From people that have them, stuff like the varadero etc can handle a slight muddy trail slowly a bit better than a sports bike- and can handle speed pretty well. TDM might be a bit lighter?

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden a KTM 640 on road (at lowish speeds) in this country and in the desert in Egypt and it seemed a very good all-rounder (not that I'm the best qualified to be commenting in that department). My guide in Egypt said that they regulary take them into the desert for eight hours at a time and never have any problems with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 02:49 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not a huge as a Varadero or V-Strom, those two are much more suited to road-only use in my opinion. The two I've really been looking into are the Transalp and the DR650RS, though that version of the DR seems to be pretty rare. The KLR650 also looks good, but quite a bit more expensive.

Motorway use isn't the main priority, so I don't have any hopes of 100mph+ cruising or anything like that, just need enough speed to get by really. I guess something that could sit at around 80mph would be alright as long as it made up for it in offroad capability. Luggage would need to include camping gear so room for two decent size hard panniers and a space to strap softer kit to at the back.

Things like the KTM 640 and BMW F650 are pretty sweet bikes but out of my price range to be honest.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 03:22 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F650's aren't that expensive if you look around at older ones...

With hard panniers
£1600

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:35 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get KLRs cheaper if you go for older ones as well.

When I got mine that was £1k from a dealer - and no barganing down etc either.

Incidentally, I'd avoid the DR800, from a friend that had one it sounded like it was slower and heavier than the KLR650.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 19:14 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some looking into the KLR today. The US/Canada does look pretty good, 43hp and 152kg, 21l fuel tank... Can't find any over here though and the one we get is 10kg heavier and only has a 14l tank, wtf? Confused

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 14 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about one of these.....£2000 and its yours.....warm ,dry, comfy, lots of space........... Wink

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 14 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
eventualy found a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, which looks to be able to carry a lot of luggage and also doesnt look to heavy either. Im not to sure if it might be abit to fast for what your wanting it to do with it

Or perhaps try the weee-strom dl650 Question Will do 99% of what the dl1000 can and be lighter with it. Or what about the honda xr650 ?
Take a look on https://www.advrider.com/forums/ for good reviews and facts on similar bikes. Awesome pictures too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
The F650's aren't that expensive if you look around at older ones...

yeah thats what I was gonna say, Dan Walsh hs been riding around for ages on one of the dakar versions.... must be alright.

I've posted this before, but the website www.horizonsunlimted.com has some really well travelled members, might be worth asking what those hardcore 'overlanders' get about on Thumbs Up

The XT600 seems to be a popular choice so I think theres a good market for travel extras, crash bars, extra-large tanks etc you'd suffer on the motorway though.... maybe the bmw 650 dakar is a good compromise.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:05 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
I did some looking into the KLR today. The US/Canada does look pretty good, 43hp and 152kg, 21l fuel tank... Can't find any over here though and the one we get is 10kg heavier and only has a 14l tank, wtf? Confused

Interesting Confused.

For a while they did 'tengai' or something versions - around the beggining of the 90s. I think these were supposed to be styled liked the desert-rally ones. I don't know if they got bigger tanks at the same time, though they were appropriately uglier!

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 11:26 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tengai is apparently the same as the A model KLR but with slightly lower suspension, and that big fugly plastic fairing up front. It's still got the large tank and lower weight though so not as bad as the UK market one in that respect.

If I could get hold of one I'd go for a 1996+ A model KLR650 I reckon, they sound pretty perfect from reading about them. As it is I think it's going to be a DR650, slightly more dirt oriented but also lighter with a simpler engine. There's a few aftermarket large tanks available for them, as well as other bits.

Which year/model DR was your old one G?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:34 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine were around 87 - only the 600.
They came in a bit lighter still at 134kg dry, if I remember, but no electric start, as you know.

MY KLR was definitely a lot more road orientated than the DR, though I suspect the DR 650 will be somewhere in between. Can't remember, but think my KLR had six gears, it definitely had a higher top speed than the DR.

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a bike Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
https://www.bikez.com/bike/20422/index.jpg

However it needs to be much cheaper, simpler, smaller, lighter and not made by BMW. I am after a bike to go exploring on, which means it needs to cover everything from big open motorways down to tiny dirt tracks, be reliable, simple, as light weight as possible and able to take a few knocks. Budget is not fixed but I'd prefer to spend less than 3 grand on buying something and doing any work needed to make it suitable. So far inspiration is lacking so I'm after a bit of help, suggest something to look into?

Whatever I eventually end up with will also be my steed for a 6/7 thousand mile trip around Europe in a few months time, so it needs to be up to the job. Think twisty alpine roads, muddy Ukrainian forest tracks and miles upon miles of dead straight German autobahn. I need a proper all-rounder...

I'm looking into a tour myself but of North Africa and beyond. You share some of the same issues as myself.

Two bikes ive been looking at are the Honda Africa Twin and the Yamaha Super Tenere. Both similar to each other but ive read better writ-ups about the super tenere.

You may not like the BMW's but for what you are wanting they are ideal. I'm keeping them in mind (very high up on the list) as they are quite ideal, except for their one big disadvantage...their size and weight.

I dont know how much off roading you may do, as you mention dirt tracks, but there is some huge differences in on road and off road riding. On road large, powerful bikes are what you want for racking in the miles, but off road, size and power can be huge disadvantages.

Good luck with your descision and i hope you enjoy your planned trip.

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a bike Reply with quote

Korn wrote:

However it needs to be much cheaper, simpler, smaller, lighter and not made by BMW.

Not really along those lines then, is it? Razz Personally I wanted a DR650 a while ago... Still tempted.

Those big BMWs are nice bikes, shame about the £10k+ price tag.

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your choices are really limited, especially with your budget.

The ideal machine would be a F650GS, or possibly a Transalp.

If you need a little more go, and could get by on road orientated tyres then a TDM 850 would be perfect. Don't just mock one if you see it, take one for a test ride. There a cheap, tough, simple, comfy mile muncher. Pig ugly, but I rode my mates and I'm seriously thinking of trading in for one.

Look around P reg or newer. These are the newer shape and are a vast improvement. I did a search on autotrader and found a mint 12500 miler with heated grips, scottoiler, full dealer service history and long MOT for £2450.

Wink

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Yam XT600 or BMW F650.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:32 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Africa twin. You see loads of Germans on them who then proceed to tell you they left Capetown on it last Thursday.

If it wasn't for the pathetic tank range, the KLE500 is pretty useful, hell of a lot comfier for road use.

You can do all sorts of shit on a KLR650, not so good on motorways though. Here's an article about my mates one:
https://www.saddletrampsforums.co.uk/Tramps/images/Bikes/KLR/KLR_OZ.htm

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:41 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 2005 KLE 500.

Don't bother, it's shit. It's shit on dirt, it handles like shit on the road, it has poor accelleration, and the brakes are diabolical.

Please someone buy it off me.

It is quite comfy though. Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:42 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my KLR was ok for motorways. Maybe not flying down German Autobahns, but it would hold 80-85 and I just about saw an indicated 100 on there on the flat - though was having to use a bit of energy stopping the bars flapping.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:04 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of the problem with KLRs at speed are due to the massive, high level mudguard catching the wind. I am sure this could be altered.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 22:03 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.finiziomoto.it/usato/yamaha.jpg

Question
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2