BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nerves!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Nerves! Reply with quote

Basically my Girlfriends Step Mam n her Dad have asked me to start working on the Bar, train up tomoz and Thursday in time for Friday night madness! Thing is tho, its been 2 years since i last pulled a sodding pint, im shitting it, i really want to be oki, because its going to mean i see my gf alot more than i used to (4 days a week as opposed to 2) .

Anyone who works on a Bar in Pubs, clubs etc?

Adam.I
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've done it before, I'm sure you'll pick it up again with ease. Myself, I couldn't work in a pub/club. You'll be fine. Sorry I can't give you any advice, but loads will have done it no doubt.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do bitter pouring, thats simple just yank the bastard as hard as you can, if your good you can do it in one pull. Just concerned my Lager is going to have a head the size of Mount Rushmore Heads!

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tilt the glass a bit? Confused They won't mind a bit of spillage, it happens to the best bartenders. Just keep going until you've got about half an inch on top.

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember to tilt the glass when you pour Lager and straighten up slowly.

I did it for a mates wifes surprise birthday party ( he was the landlord ) really enjoyed myself, first time i'd done it aswell.

Edit:Gotta speed up my typing though!

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i always thought that, half and inch top was normal! But gf n sister pour it like they're wanking someone off. And comes with a quarter inch head Shocked Sure ill manage. Find out tomz Laughing Wish me luck, advantage is tho, if its shitty poured i get drink in Thumbs Up

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:40 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

........remembers first night of bar work, plonked behind bar on my own......left.........for 2 hours whilst a boat load of party people flooded in....... Rolling Eyes

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thankfully i wont be............... got my gf and her sister behind bar with me, and dad sat ont corner,like a guard dog Laughing

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 22:18 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do what I did my first night...
tried to get as much in the glasses as possible (no head) had complaints! Embarassed

remember to leave the guinness stand
with lager, tilt glass and move glass a bit further away from the tap if it's a little flat.

and dont yank the ale! pull it sl-ow-ly towards you!

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was assistant manager in a lounge bar for a couple of years.

Tilt the glass and keep an eye on it. When it's nearly full straighten and lower the glass to put the head on it. Pushing the tap back also works. A lot of lagers have a button on the top for the head now. (Chemical crap).

I'm sure they'll let you pull a few practice pints. Thumbs Up

zaknafien

PostPosted: 22:50 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Nerves! Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:
train up tomoz and Thursday in time for Friday night madness!

You're sorted, 2 day's to practice. Thumbs Up

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyones said about the lagers. lol.

With the real ales you want to pull each pump slowly, and leave 1-2 seconds between each pump (after pushing back to stand) to let it catch up. With guiness (it's a bitch. lol) you can either do a 2 or a 3 pour process.

2 pour: tilt glass, let it fill and slowly straighten glass, untill guiness is about 3/4-1 inch from top of glass, then let settle... Once settled, push the guiness lever away from you (lets less gas come through) and fill to top.

3 pour: fill the glass 1/3 way up, then settle, then up to 3/4-1 inch away form top, settle, and top up.

To stop getting big head (on guiness) push the glass up against the nozzle, and have it nearly horizontal and slowly straighten.

Make sure you nice and loud. No point being behind a bar, if no one can hear you! (like one of the barmaids i work with. Evil or Very Mad

Have you changed the optics (top shelf, spirits) before? i can give a few hints on them if you want.

Drummer

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why. Smile

bwfc4eva86 wrote:
Just concerned my Lager is going to have a head the size of Mount Rushmore Heads!

MementoMori
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post's pretty helpful as I'm thinking about applying for a part time job at a local pub. Would be my first job, so no experience at all.

Don't meant to hijack this thread but if anyone has any tips they could offer about what it entails, it would be appreciated.

Is it easy to get the hang of, and do you need any prior knowledge about various drinks, or is it something you learn along the way?

Thanks!

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm now in my 9th month of bar work.

It's fairly easy doing pints (as long as you know where everything is) it just takes time to pour them correctly. (correct head being given:P)

Doing shorts (top shelf) is easy peasy (once u know where they all are) and all the mixers (coke, lemonade(off the pump) and bottles(tomato juice/tonic/orange)) might be hard to get your head over (theres loads of combinations).

But if you don't know a mix ASK either the punter, or a fellow colleague.

Most of it is time, and watching other staff.

Changing optics + Barrels can be left till your comfortable pulling pints.

Just watch for odd concoctions(sp?) like guinness+cider (Sick) or stella+special brew, or bloody marys Sick

You'll be fine, just relax. People will see that you are new, and your bound to make mistakes.

Though i did break a 1/2pint glass today Shocked, and was practicing juggling bottles Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:04 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll be ok mate.

i hadn't pulled a pint for 4 years and pulled a couple the other night at my mates work (no one else around, lock in type of thing) pulled a great pint, came back to me like i done it the day before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OI!! Stop chatting I'm getting thirsty over here!! COME ON YA BASTAD!!

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well due to muggings here, knocking myself unconcious at other Work (Labouring at Scaffolding firm) i lost grip of a 18 ft scaffolding pole and it fell on my head Embarassed i had to give today am miss.

Ill be working in a Joey Holts pub ( Manchesters Finest ales, and roughest clientelle Laughing ) so dont really have lots of weird spirits, just the regular Vodka, Taboo, Jack D and Brandy.

So basically for lager, just as you would pour acan tilt glass to side, slowly let it fill up to say 3/4 then slowly straighten up? Im obviously going to get trained, and have my gf and sister backing me up. But i really want to make a good impression. So is it really easy then and how long did it take you bar workers to get it nearly perfect?

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me about a month to get comfortable with the job. sound like you got lager sorted.

But expect to pour some bad pints! and if you notice any change in the speed the beer comes out of the line(out the nozzle into the glass) stop pouring and ask someone to check it (as the barrel might have gone)

you'll be fine though. i'm off to work now (fun fun) - More bottle juggling practice Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highlight of the job will be seeing my Bird bend over even more than normal and her sister as well, phwoooooooar ill probably come my pants working with them both Embarassed Laughing

Sure i'll be reet tho, i think the main thing is getting used to using the till really. And serving customers is a piece of piss.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:47 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
With guiness (it's a bitch. lol) you can either do a 2 or a 3 pour process.

2 pour: tilt glass, let it fill and slowly straighten glass, untill guiness is about 3/4-1 inch from top of glass, then let settle... Once settled, push the guiness lever away from you (lets less gas come through) and fill to top.

3 pour: fill the glass 1/3 way up, then settle, then up to 3/4-1 inch away form top, settle, and top up.

To stop getting big head (on guiness) push the glass up against the nozzle, and have it nearly horizontal and slowly straighten.

Sounds like your Guiness pump is in need of a service mate.

Plonk glass under, switch tap fully on. Fill to 2/3 full (If you are good, you can be sorting out any shorts in the round while it fills). Let stand for a minute. Fill to top.

When you can pull a black velvet (50:50 cider and guiness) with less than 1/2pint of overspill, you are sorted (the trick is to pull the cider first and stir all the bubbles out of it)

If you are really struggling with ales/bitter, you can unscrew the sprinkler nozzle from the end, pour most of the pint then put it back on for the last inch to put a head on. Used to do this for new people in my local in Edinburgh on the hand-pull 80'/. It can get a bit lively if you aren't smooth with it and some of them weren't strong enough to pull it all the way up (it is thick beer and they had a deep cellar).

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there really much of a knack to Ales/bitter etc? I mean, i was shown when i first worked on a bar 2 years ago, nice slow and hard tug, and the 2nd shorter pull to fill it up to the top?

Lager the easiest to do then?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:05 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a definate knack to some of the hand-pull heavy ales in Scotland, they use these recirculating pumps. Drip tray is not a drip tray, the beer goes back into the line (which is why you ALWAYS get a fresh glass in Scotland).

You get it going buy pulling a couple of short pumps into the tray then pop the glass under as you fill it 2/3 of the way up in two or three long, smooth pulls with the swan neck right in the glass. Let it stand then top up in one pull (having got it going again), easing the glass off the swan neck as you go to give it a head.

If it is busy, you pull a few in a row and leave them standing while you serve someone else something quick.

Lager is easy if the pump and gas pressure are set up correctly, a nighmare is they aren't

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:
So basically for lager, just as you would pour acan tilt glass to side, slowly let it fill up to say 3/4 then slowly straighten up? Im obviously going to get trained, and have my gf and sister backing me up. But i really want to make a good impression. So is it really easy then and how long did it take you bar workers to get it nearly perfect?

Yeah.

Nearly perfect? My pints were perfect. I make awesome cappochinos too. Laughing

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.warmvomit.co.uk/photoshoppery/guinnesscock_large.jpg

The perfect Guinness?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2