Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Terminology Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Odd question time!

I'm having to send a general email to my company due to abusive messages that have been circulating between employee's. Now I need to find a word for people who are abusive towards another religion.

Just like:

People who are abusive to gay people are called homophobic.
People who are abusive to foreigners are called racist.

So what about faith?

Example I caught today "Yeah, still she's a dirty, filthy muslim." This came from a young Hindu guy. Now, I dont give a toss what he does outside of the company, but inside, on my network, that's not on.

So, any ideas?

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenophobia?

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 23:21 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religious bigotry should cover it.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
xenophobia?

Technically, xenophobia is a fear of foreigners.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theophobia?

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, a potato isn't a sex toy but hey who gives a fuck!

Razz

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islamophobia Shocked

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough isn't it!

A mate has suggested "intolerance of religious difference". But hmm, I wanted something one worded with lots of syllables.

Oh, hellkat, what's this about potato sex toys? Your punters getting frisky again?! Razz Laughing

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 23:51 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddeh wrote:
Rofl, a smelly paki twat insulting a sand coon, the cheek, all minoritys should be shot in the face then pissed on.

Starting with trolls? Sure!

Anyhoo, how about Antiallophilic?

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
tatters This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:58 - 15 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.direct.gov.uk/Employment/Employees/DiscriminationAtWork/DiscriminationAtWorkArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=10026449&chk=Co7Ovo

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 12:01 - 15 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That constitutes harassment of religion and belief.

This is covered under the Race Relations Act and Protection from Harassment. Any violation of either within the Public Sector are grounds for dismissal. I think you are right to offer a general warning, and if you see a reoccurrence of the behaviour then a verbal warning would not be overly harsh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 15 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm going to be sending out my e-mail later on today after consulting with HR and the board fo directors.

However, I need to know where I stand with monitoring these things.

Now, like most companies we reserve the right to monitor email. However, the comments Ive noticed have been transmitted between two people using the 'net' command and the windows 'Messenger' service.

Now for me to find these messages I've had to go into the Event Viewer, so I have to access their machine directly. I was viewing it remotely to troubleshoot another problem and noticed all the messages.

I personally would think that comments found like that on a company PC should still be valid as grounds for disciplinary action of some sort?

To put it into some kind of perspective, not only have they made comments agains someone elses faith, but they have made racist and homophobic comments. They have insulted at least 7 other members of the office. I for one think it's not on.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 13:09 - 15 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

LH-ER5 wrote:

I personally would think that comments found like that on a company PC should still be valid as grounds for disciplinary action of some sort?

I think you're correct, particularly if you have a company IT policy regarding the use of company computers. Indirect harassment in this manner is just as serious as direct harassment. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 13:33 - 15 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

LH-ER5 wrote:
However, I need to know where I stand with monitoring these things

You're pretty much fine monitoring traffic as much as you like, I'm assuming you've got a an acceptable use policy which all employees have signed.

However, I'd still go for the quiet word option first. Give 'em a chance at least, cos in the overly PC world we live in now any HR dept is going to come down like a ton of bricks on any perceived religious/racial intolerance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 13:48 - 15 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:
Paddeh wrote:
Rofl, a smelly paki twat insulting a sand coon, the cheek, all minoritys should be shot in the face then pissed on.

Starting with trolls? Sure!

Anyhoo, how about Antiallophilic?

A philia is the love or obsession with a particular thing or subject. The suffix -philia is used to specify the love or obsession with something more specific.

It's usually meant to refer to unhealthy sexual practices/desired (cocrophilia,necrophilia), so I don't see how anyone could have a sexual desire triggered by anti-Allah rhetoric.

a

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 15:15 - 15 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allophilia is having positive attitudes for a group that is not one's own. I came up with antiallophilic, as someone who does not have positive feelings. Nowt to do with sex, nor Allah.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 15:39 - 15 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:
Allophilia is having positive attitudes for a group that is not one's own. I came up with antiallophilic, as someone who does not have positive feelings. Nowt to do with sex, nor Allah.

I said "normally associated with".. to the average joe in the street, philias are often associated with sexual stuff..

i know that's not the meaning, but it's an association.. and I can see a letter sent round a workplace with a "philia" mentioned, will cloud their understaning.

as for the allo/allah bit.. my misunderstanding.

a

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 15 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Technically, a potato isn't a sex toy but hey who gives a fuck!

Razz

The potato!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:06 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

LH-ER5 wrote:
Oh, hellkat, what's this about potato sex toys? Your punters getting frisky again?! Razz Laughing

Don't ask me.
The potato was Toby's idea.
He's the pervy one, not me Very Happy

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:02 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't send an email and don't escalate the issue. Have a word with them face to face and explain emails are monitored and if it continues you'll have to do something about.

No need to get people in the shit over flipant emails, surely?

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:08 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, getting them in grief for this would be outrageous. Have you thought about being a traffic warden?

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:11 - 16 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and something else, your bosses and your organisation do not give a fuck about you. It's US against THEM.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 17 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, not to worry. Seems I'm not the only person who has spotted these. This other guy is a 'team leader' so I'll let him take the flak. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2