Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

**Please help..Maths..simple division etc!**

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 19:25 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: **Please help..Maths..simple division etc!** Reply with quote

Hi

Hoping somone can help us.
My daughter has loads of Maths homework. brought it home tonight, has to be in by tomorrow. I feel it is too much for one night. She has weekly homework that is about a third smaller.
Some of this maths stuff is really complicated, (I can actually help her with that part), some is well.. simple Embarassed

I do division and subtraction in my head. But schools need working out etc... on the sheets
(Example... 18 divided by 3..easy. How the hell do you do that in one of those lil table thingies with a division sign next to it !!?? Or 200 - 38 )

She can't remember how to do it. And it is soooooo long since I ever did it! She can do the adding etc, but the division and subtracting has her confused (and me)
I mean 'borrow from here..and there'
WTF ? Shocked
Anyone help?
If she doesn't do it, she gets kept in tomorrow

Thanks ever so !! Karma

JO xx

Last edited by JodieWodie on 19:27 - 18 Sep 2006; edited 2 times in total

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carry the ten. Thumbs Up

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sssoftware.com/freeworksheets/subtraction.html

https://www.sssoftware.com/freeworksheets/division.html

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 19:37 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.. but don't really understand it
Sad
Numbers are crossed out but I can't figure out why. And the division techniques shown there are what I used to do at school, but she has learned it differently

She is so upset, and I can't help, and that is painful Crying or Very sad

I wish I could help her
It is like most things, if you don't do it a lot, it is like gobbeldy gook

Ork12
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:39 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

200-38 right then gimme a mo I'll try knocking something up in paint!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ork12
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:43 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then, Ill explain first, if you want to take 38 from 200 write it so 38 is below 200. Now you work vertically right to left. So you start with 0-8 (but you don't want a negative number). So what you do is cancel/carry. So put a cross through the 2, and change it to a one.

This gives you ten tens, so put a 1 next to the middle 0.
Now to put a cross through the middle 0 with the 1 next to it and replace it with a 9. This gives you 10 singles to use, so put a 1 next to the right hand side 0, thus making it a ten.

From this you can do 10-8, then the middle one 9-3 and then the 1 stays the same as it isn't having anything subtracted from it Very Happy

Is this any help? do you understand any bits of it/want me to re-explain bits of it?
Cheers
AlexG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtraction look at this page https://www.sssoftware.com/freeworksheets/sub6s.html

Number 1 is 626 - 238

You cannot take 8 from 6 so you add a 10 making it 16. So 16 - 8 = 8. The ten you used now comes from the next line across which is a 2 ( 2 tens ) thats why its showing a 1 in red. You cannot take 3 from 1 so must add a 10 again making it 11. 11 - 3 is 8. Again the 10 youve added must come from somewhere so its the next figure to the left ( hundreds column ) so one away is 5. So 5 - 3 =2. Confused

cheekie monkey
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this

https://www.aaamath.com/div55-div4x2.html
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ork12
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:55 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My way has the Mrs forestor official A2 Level mathmatics stamp of approval Razz But I guess both ways work Very Happy

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 20:00 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help, but we just aren't getting it
We are short of time,... I havent done dinner yet, she is hungry.. I have 2 hours of working from home to do yet, we are both exhausted
I am going to write a note to school tomorrow explaining
It's ridiculous

The DIVISION one is the biggest hurdle
Anyone got a quick solution

JO x
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ork12
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:01 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just work it out in your head n say your clever and working out is below you, tis what me n my mates did for a few years Very Happy

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:05 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You need to be carefull here as if you try to teach here a different way to the school your daughter will be very confused ! Not all schools tech it the same.

There is no point in doing it for her as she need to lean how herself. I would write anot saying she does not know how and neither do you so could not help her and arrange to see the teacher to find out how they teach it so you can help her.

Regards
C

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 20:10 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ask her "if you have 200 monitors and you've drawn on 38 of them, how many are still useable?" Thumbs Up

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 20:11 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Kickstart wrote:
Hi,

You need to be carefull here as if you try to teach here a different way to the school your daughter will be very confused ! Not all schools tech it the same.

There is no point in doing it for her as she need to lean how herself. I would write anot saying she does not know how and neither do you so could not help her and arrange to see the teacher to find out how they teach it so you can help her.

Regards
C

YUP
Already agreed on this point

I am attaching a note to her homework saying she tried her best, is exhausted, and asking how I can help her in future
She needs more help with this stuff (division esp)
She said no-one has shown her recently how to do it, so she is rusty

Ah fak it

Thanks anyway all

Jo xx

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:18 - 18 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of interest, how old is your daughter?(what year is she in?)

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 19 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

JodieWodie wrote:
The DIVISION one is the biggest hurdle
Anyone got a quick solution

JO x

https://www.mathsisfun.com/long_division.html

Never write it that way myself though, but that's good for showing working out. I always just use short division (as below, but has been explained already)

https://www.themathpage.com/ARITH/divide-whole-numbers.htm

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:11 - 19 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll stick my oar in too.

I wouldn't have thought they'd need working for 18 divided by three, you should know that anyway and just write the answer... Unless they don't teach kids their times tables any more, in which case I think I'll have to move to another country before that generation reaches an employable age.

Here's how I was taught (subtraction to follow):

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:34 - 19 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtraction. I still do it this way to work out the mileage for my car expenses.

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 19 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work Stinkwheel. 1 gold star.

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:27 - 19 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Stinkwheel, sadly if they are like our local school they use far more convoluted methods now for both division and subtraction.

Regards
Charlotte

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 19:40 - 19 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really Charlotte? That's how I was taught at Primary about 10/15 years ago. Feck that's ages.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 20:06 - 19 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i can work out, they arent teaching times tables anymore

preferring to opt for getting the kid to draw out dots and then circle them into groups

then count the total number of dots/blobs its the longest winded and most ridiculous way i've ever seen, but thats what they seem to be doing these days

personally i thought there was nothing wrong with learning times tables with weekly tests, once you know up to 12x12 its surprising how much you can work out in your head

ask a kid today was 6x8 is and they will need to draw out dots for you.... Rolling Eyes
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2