Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Claiming tax back (this probably applys to you to!)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Claiming tax back (this probably applys to you to!) Reply with quote

I had a brain surge this morning and realised I'm owed a lot of money by the tax man. When I told the GF she realised she was also owed quite a bit. The chances are, you're probably owed too.

So heres my example and how I worked it out. A couple of years ago I was working for a company earning £12k/year before tax, thats £1k/month.

Of that 1000/month, 200 of it was tax & NI.

Now here's the important bit, you don't pay any tax on your first £5k earnings of the year. BUT to stop you having unexpect tax on your pay slip after £5k, they spread the cost of your expected total tax bill over the whole year.

So, I only worked at this company for 8 months, and so earn £8k. however I should have only paid tax on 3 of the months, not 8 (because of the £5k = 5 months tax free).

So, in theory, say £150 of the £200 I paid out/month was tax, that means I'm owed 5 x £150 = £750.

But also I realised Tax & NI should work out about 22% of your income.

So from this Ive realised they are again taxing me on the basis of £12k/year and not taken into account the 5k tax allowence.
So they should be taxing me 22% of £8k/year not £12k.

which works out I was paying an extra £54/month (for the full 8 months).

so, £54 x 8 = £432

Total owed to me: £750 + £432 = £1182.

Not bad for a mornings work Smile

Here's a question for you lot, If I was unemployed for 2 months (but didnt bother to claim). Could I claim those 2 months unemployment benefit back? (hey I dont want any moaning about claiming unemployment, I pay NI just like everyone else and thats whats its for!).

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and to claim this back, apparently I need to get the employer to send them the p60.

Why they didnt do this anyway I don't know. I would have thought it just happens automatically. Just goes to show that if you don't look into these things, they get away with it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Arfdog
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:46 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Queen.

There is nothing more satisfying than making the taxbastid pay up.

Well, not many things anyway...

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Re: Claiming tax back (this probably applys to you to!) Reply with quote

cqueen wrote:
Now here's the important bit, you don't pay any tax on your first £5k earnings of the year.

5k? Where did you get that from?

It was about £3850 last year.

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Re: Claiming tax back (this probably applys to you to!) Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
5k? Where did you get that from?

It was about £3850 last year.

https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 12:17 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll only get a differential and amount to claim back in the following scenarios:-

1) you weren't in work for the enitre tax year
2) you're on 'emergency' or BR tax code at the end of the tax year

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

your assumptions are wrong , you don't pay 22% tax you pay 33% , remember 11% NI for anything above the 5035Personal allowance ,

the important thing is to every month check your pay slip , and ensure there isn't BR or M1 on it , if there is either give the IR a call ,

income tax is unimportant it is refundable , NI isn't , it is non refundable on PAYE for self employed who accidentally pay way over the odds it is kinda,

just phone them up provide a P45/P60 and it should take 9-36 months to get your refund back , just to provide some perspective 2 K owed to me from last year took 7 months.

this guy who is my client they held on to his refund since 2001 (it was over 200K).
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

your calcs are wrong too

12K b4 tax =

5035PA
2150 10% band = 215
4815 22% band = 1059.3

=1274.30 Income tax
=331.52 NI

(X1.5 for NI) -£10 (a week mainly because my calculation cheats) = your tax lib.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I odnt really understand much of that, how much do they owe me do you think?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much were you paid (gross) and how much tax did you pay?

Arfdog
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:23 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queenie,

Normally you would write to the TaxBastardOverlords, and send them a copy of your calculations, as well as a letter telling them that you have calculated that they owe you money, and request them to have a look at the accompanying calculations.

They then do their own calculations, and write back to you telling you how or why you aren't getting even a pence back from them.

Thats the way it usually works, i believe.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

for 12000 gross salary your take home pay should be er

208 a weekish

thats IF you got the full 12000

if you missed two months ie 10K

£180 / week ish as said I use an auto NI thing

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 8 months of £1000/month.

Each month £200 was taken for tax & NI

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

8000 for 05/06 ?

feg it I'm fast

4895PA
3105 taxable
2090 10% = 206
1015 = 22%

short cut = 33% for NI purposes

334.95+209

8000/yr = 7456.05 take home pay if done correctly

you had 200month of which 1/3 = NI (not really true but its quicker) 133 back each working month about

1066.66 vs 500 = £500 refund backish

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, not quiet what I expected, but still £500 which I didnt know about!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phone them up and ask for it back using a FAX machine to send in P60s to your local tax office ,

the IR is clogged up to hell (me and my month of tax returns) and will take months ,

telephone calls / faxes shorter time ,

address letters to the tax inspector you are dealing with over the phone = faster, as said my £500 is only an estimate they will give you a calculation if you ask.

I can't use the company computer systems to work it out exactly for you nor would I Wink

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I phoned them they said I need to get my said employer to send them a p60.
So I phoned the said employer but the accountant isnt back till monday.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cqueen wrote:
When I phoned them they said I need to get my said employer to send them a p60.
So I phoned the said employer but the accountant isnt back till monday.

That's bollocks. Your employer doesn't even legally have to keep a copy of your P60, never mind send it to anyone else. Can you give us the name and office of the person you spoke to, as they obviously need re-training (or training in the first place).

Before you go planning what to spend your money on, what did you do for the 2 months of the year you didn't work for this company? Didn't you go self-employed last year? In which case all of this will be dealt with when you send in your self-assessment form.

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:

Can you give us the name and office of the person you spoke to, as they obviously need re-training (or training in the first place).

It was the Norwich Inland revenue 0845 number, I dont know who I spoke to, a woman, she sounded.............not english.

babyyam wrote:
Before you go planning what to spend your money on, what did you do for the 2 months of the year you didn't work for this company? Didn't you go self-employed last year? In which case all of this will be dealt with when you send in your self-assessment form.

Well I left my job to go self employed but I didnt earn anymore money for the remainder of the year.

Very complicated this tax business.

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I dont need to get a p60 from my employer, what should I do?

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your case, as you were self-employed at the end of the tax year (are you still) it's not complicated at all. You fill the form in, send it to the taxman, (you can do this online now, very easy) and he sends you a cheque or credits your bank account.

You can do this any time after the 5th of April, the deadline if you want them to work all the numbers out for you is to get the form in by the end of next week (30th Sept) but if you prefer to work it out yourself yu have til 31st Jan to do it.

You might even get more back than you thought, because you will have set-up costs for your business even if you didn't earn anything no? And they should be deductible against your profit/income for the year. Have you got a book-keeper or accountant? Sounds like you need one........

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, have you even registered as self-employed? Are you paying Class2 NI?

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cqueen wrote:
So if I dont need to get a p60 from my employer, what should I do?

You should already have a P60 or a P45 from your employer. He doesn't give you a P60 if you left before 5/4, but you should have kept part 1A of your P45 when he gave you that.

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business is no longer running (I got offered a good job elsewhere). I was registerd as self employed and I have just sent off my tax return.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to do anything else then. Have you calculated from your return how much you are owed? As the Taxman has until 31st Jan to tell you, but if you've worked it out yourself you should be able to hurry them along a bit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2