Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Police making laws up as they go along - caught on camera!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 11:11 - 29 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cestrian wrote:
I think in UK law the other person needs to know you are recording them.

Based on the telephone recording laws, you don't need the other person's permission or knowledge to make a recording, but you do need their permission if you are going to pass it on to a third party.

It's different for companies, and if you are in private buildings - the whole "can't video my kid's nativity play because I don't have all the parent's permission to film their kids" and filming at the cinema isn't breaking the law, but is breaking the conditions of your allowed presence so can be asked to stop/leave.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 29 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin wrote:
cestrian wrote:

So that means the police regularly break the law....great!
Or did you just make that up?

Are you f'in serious? I said "I think in UK law the other person needs to know you are recording them". I took advice from a solicitor about a troublesome client who persisted in calling me during photo-shoots. I was told that if I intended to record his telephone rants I should tell him that I was recording the conversation and that I would use the recording in a court of law should the matter get that far. I never checked out the law, hence why I think the other party needs to be told of the intention to record the conversation.
Regards[/i]

ETA. After a little reading it seems that one is allowed to record their own conversations without notice to the other person as long the recording is not intended to be passed to a third party, exactly as TheShaggyDA said. In the case of my troublesome client, I only wanted to record the conversation as evidence, thereby assuming the recording would be passed on to a third party ie solicitor, the courts etc. So I needed to tell the guy I was recording the conversation. As it happens, he said "I'm taking you to court" I replied "so the matter is now sub judice and we should only communicate via legal representation, see you in court[smile]", I never heard from him again.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 05 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin wrote:
cestrian wrote:

So that means the police regularly break the law....great!
Or did you just make that up?

The Politicians rammed through a number of Acts to make Police video surveilance and phone suveillance legal, not least of which was the Police Act. Interestingly the Association of Chief Constables didn't want the additional powers and objected.

If you record someone, as a private citizen, you cannot share that with a third party unless the other person was aware you were recording them.

The exception is CCTV which you can use to protect your property as long as it doesn't undully record innocent members of the public.

Theres then a whole load of public domain stuff that allows news crews to film in public.

The law is a mess.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 05 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
You can't expect every Bobby to know every law inside out and back to front so that they can deal with the petty vigalanty anti police filming numpty.

Then maybe they should have checked the facts a bit quicker Wink

Skudd wrote:
Yes the Police did get it wrong but don't you just get the feeling that they were goaded into it

I could almost forgive them if they believed it be law and were then proved incorrect IF they then apologised before leaving.

Skudd wrote:
being obviously filmed by a numpty to make a petty point.

Petty? That'll be the two officers then. What were they really hoping to achieve?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:46 - 06 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to ask the question of why would someone have a camera at the ready to film someone else going about thier business if it wasn't for some petty axe to grind ? The guy was obviously well versed in the small bit of the law he wanted to use/abuse.
I mean my camera is somewhere upstairs and I'm not sure if it is charged up and has film in it. So having one at the ready just for the police ( and he does say he films the police alot ) does seem like he is very anti police. I wonder how many criminal acts by the public he has filmed and handed over the tape to the police to make the solving of crimes easier? Probably ZERO as he probably doesn't think that he should help the Nazi Police State ( that is until someone does him wrong and he will be the first demanding his rights, and will tape it too)
But that voice and tone. It should be an offence. Wink

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 06 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
You have to ask the question of why would someone have a camera at the ready to film someone else going about thier business if it wasn't for some petty axe to grind ? The guy was obviously well versed in the small bit of the law he wanted to use/abuse.

Not something I generally do either, but if it weren't for people like that then cases like the Rodney King incident would never see the light of day. You might see it as petty, but he's perfectly within his rights to do it - just as you can go and fly a kite at your local park if that's what floats your boat.

Skudd wrote:
I wonder how many criminal acts by the public he has filmed and handed over the tape to the police to make the solving of crimes easier? Probably ZERO as he probably doesn't think that he should help the Nazi Police State ( that is until someone does him wrong and he will be the first demanding his rights, and will tape it too)
But that voice and tone. It should be an offence. Wink

Pure conjecture, but I'm inclined to agree about the accent... Wink

willi
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:14 - 07 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLASIC!

wat goes around comes around.

rypt
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:39 - 13 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking about police making up laws, had a bit of an encounter with that recently

Couple of chavs had started a fight with some friends of mine (I was there), and one of my friends got stabbed (not badly, just a cut on the shoulder sort of).

So had the police round, asking questions etc (hey atleast they are doing thier job for once). Thing is, we knew who the chavs were, and we also knew that they'd probably just get a caution or something from the cops for what they did ... so we figured that we'd "take care of them" ourselves

Anyway, back to the part about the police making up laws..

They had everyone there make statements (in a god damn interigation room at the police station), and when I refused to give a statement (because it is of no benefit to us for the cops to pick up the chavs), they started threatening me with holding me in jail WITHOUT charge for 48 days for refusing to give them a statement (I dont remember that being UK law ...)

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 14:14 - 14 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

the police in the vid were clearly planks, and so pathetic at it that i dont think they qualify as bullies

it was lovely when they looked all sheepish and wanted to check to see if filming was against the law, before they walked off

real police bullies, would have confiscated the camera, got in a bit of argy bargy, and then charged the bloke with assault on a police officer, resisting arrest etc

i wouldnt be surprised if they managed to get a conviction either

my sister got convicted of assaulting a police officer after she refused to get down from a wall she was sitting on

personnally i think she should have just done what the bullies told her to and got off the wall

Last edited by colin1 on 00:17 - 15 Oct 2007; edited 1 time in total

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 14 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
my sister got convicted of assaulting a police officer after she refused to get down from a wall she was sitting on

Was that vid online colin? I distinctly remember a post some time ago of a vid with a very similar situation?

RatBlack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:18 - 14 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't suprise me if they were specials. The two clowns on film need to be recalled back for weeks 1-6 of dealing with the public.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:18 - 15 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:
colin1 wrote:

Was that vid online colin? I distinctly remember a post some time ago of a vid with a very similar situation?

i havnt seen that vid, doubt it was her, but would be funny to send it her

have you got a link ?
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 308 days between these two posts...

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 20:35 - 18 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

willi wrote:
CLASIC!

The very definition of irony! Making one's own 'clasic' mistake in giant bright blue font! Excellent work, and well worth resurrecting this old thread to note!

igiyf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 18 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are very caught up in the insignificant aspects of life arent you..it says a lot.

Mister James wrote:
willi wrote:
CLASIC!

The very definition of irony! Making one's own 'clasic' mistake in giant bright blue font! Excellent work, and well worth resurrecting this old thread to note!
:

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 21:16 - 18 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - but they're something of a hobby of mine.

You complaining about me focusing on insignificant things when we are both posting on a motorcycle internet forum that has little or no effect on the world around us would be another form of amusing irony - although one that I suspect is a little too subtle for a frothing-mouthed loony like yourself.

igiyf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 18 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

no im not complaining. if it was not for people posting info on the internet the public as a hole would know very little about the situations we face.offering information so people can become aware is a step forward Thumbs Up

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 21:26 - 18 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad we're agreed - poor spelling and atrocious punctuation are ruining this sceptered isle.

igiyf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 18 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.iue.edu/blogs/barry/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/first-place-blue-ribbon.gif

my poor spelling may say something about me..your constant need to point out mistakes and insult sure says a lot about you.. you win..first place!

Red Mick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 18 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the police ever watch Road Wars? The suspects on that frequently complain about being filmed, only to be told by the officers that 'he is entitled to film in a public place'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2