BCF: Bike Chat Forums

This new particle-accelerator thing they're about to turn on

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

igiyf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

may be funded by a rockefella type front.

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid any confusion:

All that is going to happen on the 10th of September is the first attempt to circulate a beam.

The first high-energy collision isn't scheduled to be attempted until after the official unveiling of the LHC on the 21st October.

So I'm afraid you'll have to put up with all this 'Doomsday' nonsense for at least another month yet.
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lukamon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

damnit insomnia you got there first! Laughing

tomorrow, the thing wont even get up to energy levels exceeded by other accelerators, its a test run.

awesome thing when you read about it, its at ~ 271 deg c so the magnets are cold enough to become superconducting, this makes it the coldest ring in the universe, as long as an alien civilisation hasnt built one already, of course Laughing its also the most complete vaccuum ever, since the ring has to be empty of ANY particles.

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry luc Smile

Also, to put some of your minds at ease (In case any of you think the Earth is going to be sucked into a black hole);

When a star begins to die, it expands and becomes.. well.. huge. Once it's run out of energy, the entire mass of the star is pulled into it's centre by the force of gravity. A small star, like our sun, will be condensed into a small (relatively), but incredibly dense celestial body known as a white dwarf.

If the star has enough mass, the sheer force of the implosion of the star creates something so dense in such a small area of space that it becomes what we call a black hole.

So, to summarise, simply put if we wanted to create a black hole capable of sustaining itself, we'd need to be messing with quantities of mass that exceed that of our sun.. Which clearly, we aren't Smile
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed...

You'd need in excess of 9 times our sun's mass to do it... Only remember that from astronomy club, plus type1 and type 2 supernova... Type 1 I think forms new nebulae and type 2 tend to be more massive and collapse in on themselves...

I remember something about the Chandrasekhar limit but it escapes me...

This chat about it being the coldest ring and the most complete manmade vacuum makes it sound like a household appliance, it'll do the sitting room carpet as it chills your beer...

I wonder if it plays CD's??

Thumbs Up

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, but it could fire a CD around the ring at 266 million mph Thumbs Up

HTH

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:
Nope, but it could fire a CD around the ring at 266 million mph Thumbs Up

HTH

Cool...

Could it light a cigarette? That would be a hell of a boast. Laughing

Thumbs Up

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 12:14 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, it will take months to get up to full power and years to analyse the data, so dont expect anything before christmas.
Anything that comes out of it will be too complicated for 99.9% of the population to understand anyway, including me.

Mate, i am working on these machines, and even i do not think they represent good value for public money.

Fair enough you get the odd technology spin-off such as MRI scanners and really high capacity memory in your ipod, but no where near the sort of output you would get by investing in these technologies directly.

Words spoken by a friend who has just returned from cern, he is doing phd in particle tracking.

If anyone (hetzer) wants to ask him anything about it, he will be happy to answer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:35 - 11 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColdInsomnia wrote:
Sorry luc Smile

Also, to put some of your minds at ease (In case any of you think the Earth is going to be sucked into a black hole);

When a star begins to die, it expands and becomes.. well.. huge. Once it's run out of energy, the entire mass of the star is pulled into it's centre by the force of gravity. A small star, like our sun, will be condensed into a small (relatively), but incredibly dense celestial body known as a white dwarf.

If the star has enough mass, the sheer force of the implosion of the star creates something so dense in such a small area of space that it becomes what we call a black hole.

So, to summarise, simply put if we wanted to create a black hole capable of sustaining itself, we'd need to be messing with quantities of mass that exceed that of our sun.. Which clearly, we aren't Smile

going to sound terribly geeky here but I always thought it was density rather than mass.

In that objects become black holes once they are smaller than their schwartschild radius, therefore if you managed to compress the earth into a peanut it would become a blackhole according to Wiki (I did physics at college about this about 12 years ago now oh man i sound old), thus the mass is only important for 'naturally' occuring black holes as the gravity needed to compress it is provided by the mass.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Moonie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 11 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really haven't got time to read all that, but afterwards it can be used in the JET project, which with enough development could realistically solve all our energy problems.

So Hetz the thing you said about why aren't they finding new options, they are, eventually Rolling Eyes

I would like to add I don't think that this is why they funded the LHC, but it is useful.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2