Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How many of you actually use your bikes this time of year?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 14:17 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura wrote:
Quote:
Car!! My bikes just my toy, alough i still take it out in the cold/damp! it's just ice and heavy rain that stops me!

You lie you do not take it out in the cold!

Really because I seem to remember riding in the cold and rain with Ant when we went Colins farm for a gathering. Saying that he had to won't help either because have just stamped his feet and said he doesn't want to go yet until it stopped. Razz Oh yeah there was also the toyr run.

Quote:
I ride my scooter everyday to get to work it will be the same with my bike till I learn to drive and who knows when that will happen may take me a year to pass the theory!

So you ride everyday because you have no other choice.

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 14:21 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
i have to ride my bike i have no chice, brrr its been cold lately but i can take it becaus eim a proper hard biker Cool

(run!)

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 14:22 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:

So you ride everyday because you have no other choice.

I think that's why most people do it. They just disguise their failures as a car driver under a thin veil of 'bloody fair weather biker' hostility. Very Happy

See above.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:35 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
Really because I seem to remember riding in the cold and rain with Ant when we went Colins farm for a gathering.

Pah! That was october. It wasn't cold. I'd only just started wearing my buff again FFS!

I will give toy the toy run tho, that was a bloody cold day.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:47 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got the option of using the car. The route I take in the morning makes no difference whether I am on the bike or in the car. Car only needs filling with petrol once a week, while the bike needs filling ever 3 days.

Advantage of the bike is that I can park right outside work, the petrol bill is less and if I need to go somewhere with heavy traffic (such as the Merry Hill centre just before Christmas, or go home up the M6) then I don't have to worry.

All the best

Keith

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
Laura wrote:
Quote:
Car!! My bikes just my toy, alough i still take it out in the cold/damp! it's just ice and heavy rain that stops me!

You lie you do not take it out in the cold!

Really because I seem to remember riding in the cold and rain with Ant when we went Colins farm for a gathering. Saying that he had to won't help either because have just stamped his feet and said he doesn't want to go yet until it stopped. Razz Oh yeah there was also the toy run.

And yesterday when it was F***ing freezing after running up and down the road to bump it! Crying or Very sad And i only used it the other day! so my bike don't like the cold either!

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 17:46 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used mine over the past 2 winters. Not this time. She cost too much to risk a slide, and as me and Chez work together the car's a much easier option.

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 18:18 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ridden my bike since the end of november and the last time I tried the battery had died Sad . I did however have fun today giving M's bike a run and then taking my mams GPZ500 for a little blast too. I had kinda forgotten how much fun bikes were. Smile

zaknafien

PostPosted: 18:47 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stew wrote:
Not ridden my bike since the end of november and the last time I tried the battery had died Sad . I did however have fun today giving M's bike a run and then taking my mams GPZ500 for a little blast too. I had kinda forgotten how much fun bikes were. Smile

I just took mine for a ride, havent had it out for more than 20 minutes since i finished work for christmas. It's surprising how you forget that it feels so good Smile

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Firestorm pretty much every day, unless my mom has a day off then she lets me take the Clio. I will not be bothered about using the Clio once I get the 250 on the road again, its just that the £10 of petrol every 2-3 days in the Storm is starting to cripple my wallet!

Syfoon
TRUCK!!!

PostPosted: 20:12 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I used my bike I almost hit a shopping trolley which someone had left in the middle of the road.

Which was 2 weeks ago.

Too cold and icy in MK recently to use the bike.

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:30 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

£10 of fuel lasts me 5 - 6 days in my bike, and I'm out on it every day. Since I balanced the carbs, the bike is using less fuel, filled up the bike the day I did the carb balance and still have 3/4 of a tank, and that was on the 31st Dec 2003.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:19 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how many miles do you do though? Rolling Eyes

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:51 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 10 - 20 per day.

This week so far I've done about 110 since I filled it up and I've got just under 3/4 tank left.

Did a 70 mile round trip a few days ago, and that used most of the 1/4.

Last edited by Ian (GPX) on 23:54 - 04 Jan 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:53 - 04 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So between 50 and 120 miles. Smile

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:02 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank on the GPZ400R is not very deep, so I don't know how well the fuel gauge works, but from the results of the last few days, it seems as if the bike is using less fuel to get from A to B and back to A again.

I'll have to run the fuel down to allow me to switch to reserve (never been that low yet) and then fill it up and do another run to see how many miles I get to a full tank.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 00:07 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

110 miles and you've got 3/4 of a tank left? Christ thats 440 miles to a tank, your bike must be producing petrol instead of using it Razz

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:31 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
110 miles and you've got 3/4 of a tank left? Christ thats 440 miles to a tank, your bike must be producing petrol instead of using it Razz

I wish Rolling Eyes

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:35 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got told that the RS50 does about 150-200miles to about £10. Not sure If thats right but mine lasted a fairly long time.

Also is it true that a derestricted 50 uses less fuel than a restricted 50? I got told that but sort of can see it's true and sort of see it's not.
Having it restricted means it wouldn't be at it's full power therefore drink more but a derestricted one not drinking more because of the full power etc.
But wouldn't you think that a derestricted engine would drink more fuel because it's working at it's full potential?

If someone could answer these I'd be grateful. It's been bugging me because I don't know. Question

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:38 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The Bandit manages 3 trips to work and back on a tank (165~170 miles), with a little to spare. The Divvy is slightly better on petrol but has a smaller tank, but still just about manages 3 days worth.

All the best

Keith

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:42 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BeefMeister wrote:
I got told that the RS50 does about 150-200miles to about £10. Not sure If thats right but mine lasted a fairly long time.

Also is it true that a derestricted 50 uses less fuel than a restricted 50? I got told that but sort of can see it's true and sort of see it's not.
Having it restricted means it wouldn't be at it's full power therefore drink more but a derestricted one not drinking more because of the full power etc.
But wouldn't you think that a derestricted engine would drink more fuel because it's working at it's full potential?

If someone could answer these I'd be grateful. It's been bugging me because I don't know. Question

My random slightly educated guess would it will do more miles to a tank when it is de-restricted as it is running more efficently and how it was designed to run. However I might be wrong Smile

If I remember correctly as well, engines at at thier best efficency when at about 3/4 throttle in top gear.

The ZX6R used to do about 130-150 miles to a tank. Had been known to once do 190 to a tank. It now does an indicated 140 miles to the tank and the gearing has been changed quite a lot so I think thats actually about 110-120 miles

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:59 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

An 4 stroke petrol engine is at its most efficient on full throttle at peak torque. However at that speed the wind resistance / rolling resistance will make the bike rather ineffificient at that point.

All the best

Keith

exxon-jen
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 3 years with various bikes being my sole form o' transport before i passed my driving test.........and i remember it being soul-destroying how cold u used to get! Unable to release fingers from throttle grip to brake.......clutchless gear-shifts.

But the worst bit was always the constant chillblains i had all over my feet and ankles, and kness that ached for hours when they had warmed up..........i still remember it like yesterday - and its been 12 years since!!

i love having a car available for all those days when its either sub-zero arctic conditions or 90 degrees with blistering sun (just getting into your leathers is enough to give you heatstroke - be like boil in the bag!! Laughing )

Can't beat having a choice!! Perhaps im just getting old (and lazy!)

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady

PostPosted: 19:25 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank on the hippys ZZR lasts for ever - now I have the fuel hungry and small tank V raptor he takes every opportunity to tell me that!

Ian (GPZ400R) wrote:
About 10 - 20 per day.

This week so far I've done about 110 since I filled it up and I've got just under 3/4 tank left.

Did a 70 mile round trip a few days ago, and that used most of the 1/4.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

190mile outa yer ZX6R, that must have been really running on fumes by then. I did 182 to a tank once when i was late getting to the Ferry at Portsmouth. When i filled up i put 16.8litres in, so i dunno how much further it would have gone? Not very far i think its fair to say!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3