Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 16 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
You lot really dont know what real cold is Laughing

why do people choose to live in such a place Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooky.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking ... or fresh air.
Quite like the idea of Canada, actually.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 03:08 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
tatters wrote:
You lot really dont know what real cold is Laughing

why do people choose to live in such a place Shocked

Honestly l would rather live in the southern USA and never see cold weather again but the wife would never move. At lest houses and land are still reasonably cheap here when compared to Europe.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:

Honestly l would rather live in the southern USA and never see cold weather again but the wife would never move. At lest houses and land are still reasonably cheap here when compared to Europe.

I would be much happier about cold weather if I could afford to heat my home sufficiently, but when going outside can actually be a threat to your life if you're not careful about stuff, no thanks.

The layered frosts here that were actually looking like it had snowed have all gone Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

The layered frosts here that were actually looking like it had snowed have all gone Very Happy

Same here. Looking more hopeful for riding to Fowlers on Monday morning after a heady day today of 4 celsius. Sun

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Same here. Looking more hopeful for riding to Fowlers on Monday morning after a heady day today of 4 celsius. Sun

*Thinks about it...wrapping up in layers, waddling out to get bike out...go for ride, bike gets filthy with road salt/grit...has to be cleaned straight away in the cold and put away again....Thinking *
Nah, done with all that malarkey - where're the car keys? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much snow and ice yesterday, that I had to ask two random people to help me park my car. Looking out of the window now, I'm not driving anywhere for at least a couple of days.

Lucky me, I don't have to go to work for the rest of the year. So, video games, piano, guitar, beer, rum... festivities. Razz

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 19:14 - 17 Dec 2022; edited 1 time in total

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
So, video games, piano, guitar, beer, rum... festivities. Razz

any game in particular?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Nah, done with all that malarkey - where're the car keys? Laughing

It's a 6 mile round trip. And I might get something fun as a courtesy bike to mess about with that someone else will
have to wash. Had a Duke 690 last time. I suspect it had been tuned down for A2 riders though.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
So, video games, piano, guitar, beer, rum... festivities. Razz

any game in particular?

I'm still not done with The Callisto Protocol (PS5), Gran Turismo 7 got some new content. I might even have a look at Witcher 3 again, as they finally gave it the next gen update (60fps or 30fps with ray tracing). I still haven't finished the Returnal (PS5). I also installed Fallout 76 (PS5) so might have a look what's new. I also play Cities: Skylines every now and then, so might give that a few hours as well.

I recently finished the GhostWire: Tokyo (PS5) which I enjoyed a lot actually.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Lucky me, I don't have to go to work for the rest of the year. ...So....guitar...

Learning or practicing anything good? Smile
I have been working on Led Zep's "The Song Remains The Same" as per the live MSG '73 version. Been working on it for years actually Laughing but found a good breakdown of it on Youtube that should get me advancing nicely. Fingers have been too cold the last few days though!
Not quite sure how I'm going to get myself doing this hybrid picking lark though, might be too late for this old dog to learn such new tricks Laughing

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the most beautiful pieces of guitar music ive heard is Recuerdos de la Alhambra. it amazes me how someone can move their fingers that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iVFncQADvc

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Lucky me, I don't have to go to work for the rest of the year. ...So....guitar...

Learning or practicing anything good? Smile
I have been working on Led Zep's "The Song Remains The Same" as per the live MSG '73 version. Been working on it for years actually Laughing but found a good breakdown of it on Youtube that should get me advancing nicely. Fingers have been too cold the last few days though!
Not quite sure how I'm going to get myself doing this hybrid picking lark though, might be too late for this old dog to learn such new tricks Laughing

EDIT II: Not learning nor practicing, just playing random stuff.

I've started playing guitar about 16-17 years ago. I've been all electric for the most part. Even my first guitar was electric as for a beginner I thought an acoustic guitar was way too loud for people around to tolerate the learning process.

I also played Led Zeppelin, obviously. The Immigrant song, Whole Lotta Love, even the now forbiden Stairway to heaven. Then a lot of Van Halen, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Megadeath, Judas Priest, Metallica, even some ZZ Top, classical pieces, flamenco (on a western guitar), blues, jazz... I mean I just heard a cool riff and had to learn how to play it. For instance, I even learned how to play the Drag Racer (BBC snooker theme) song. Laughing

I also played a lot of Kiss and Def Leppard. I used to watch the Def Leppard 1988 Hysteria Tour dvd, playing the full set ''with them'' on my guitar. The same goes for many Kiss songs. I can still play most of the songs well enough. Razz

I also spent some time learing pentatonics, pitch harmonics, tapping, even slide guitar, alternate tuning... and I watched a lot of Paul Gilbert's how to videos, trying to emulate what he did. And that's where I got bored, so I got an acoustic guitar, but I haven't been playing that much. I played songs like More Than Words by Extreme, Wild World by Mr. Big, ... the last song that I took time to learn was Blackbird by the Beatles. Also, cool acoustic riffs: Silent Lucidity by Queensrÿche, Dust in the wind by Kansas, Good Riddance by Green Day, Pinball wizard by the Who and so on.

These days I'm trying to learn how to play a piano. I still can't really read music sheets so the learning process is tedious. Using youtube as a starter point with every song.

EDIT: I also went through the ''I need a pedal board'' phase. Crap loads of money spent on guitar effects, selling them all in the end. Thinking of it, I still do have my Dunlop Crybaby and Boss DD6 pedals somewhere, incl. the boxes. Could be worth something these days. Thinking

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 22:33 - 17 Dec 2022; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
one of the most beautiful pieces of guitar music ive heard is Recuerdos de la Alhambra. it amazes me how someone can move their fingers that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iVFncQADvc

The only such piece (spanish stuff?) that I ever attempted to learn to play was this: https://youtu.be/11KaKhGAa3I?t=19 Paul Gilbert's Flamingo. I found tabs, so tried my best... on a western style guitar. Embarassed

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

I've started playing guitar about 16-17 years ago. I've been all electric for the most part. Even my first guitar was electric as for a beginner I thought an acoustic guitar was way too loud for people around to tolerate the learning process.

I also played Led Zeppelin, obviously. The Immigrant song, Whole Lotta Love, even the now forbiden Stairway to heaven. Then a lot of Van Halen, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Megadeath, Judas Priest, Metallica, even some ZZ Top, classical pieces, flamenco (on a western guitar), blues, jazz... I mean I just heard a cool riff and had to learn how to play it. For instance, I even learned how to play the Drag Racer (BBC snooker theme) song. Laughing

I also played a lot of Kiss and Def Leppard. I used to watch the Def Leppard 1988 Hysteria Tour dvd, playing the full set ''with them'' on my guitar. The same goes for many Kiss songs. I can still play most of the songs well enough. Razz

I also spent some time learing pentatonics, pitch harmonics, tapping, even slide guitar, alternate tuning... and I watched a lot of Paul Gilbert's how to videos, trying to emulate what he did. And that's where I got bored, so I got an acoustic guitar, but I haven't been playing that much. I played songs like More Than Words by Extreme, Wild World by Mr. Big, ... the last song that I took time to learn was Blackbird by the Beatles. Also, cool acoustic riffs: Silent Lucidity by Queensrÿche, Dust in the wind by Kansas, Good Riddance by Green Day, Pinball wizard by the Who and so on.

These days I'm trying to learn how to play a piano. I still can't really read music sheets so the learning process is tedious. Using youtube as a starter point with every song.

EDIT: I also went through the ''I need a pedal board'' phase. Crap loads of money spent on guitar effects, selling them all in the end. Thinking of it, I still do have my Dunlop Crybaby and Boss DD6 pedals somewhere, incl. the boxes. Could be worth something these days. Thinking

Well, if you have been successful at all that lot, you're probably way ahead of me on the technical skills level!
I'm more of a blues and blues-rock player myself, as I find it more accessible (from a listening and playing point of view). So I do more in the way of improvisation than trying to learn pieces by rote, although I'm always on the lookout for something else I think I can get down to add to the arsenal I do have. I do play some slide too.
My main influences are SRV, Rory Gallagher, Hendrix, BB King and many other blues players, and of course The Mighty Zep.

For acoustic, again it's largely blues, some folk and an interest in celtic-style tunes, although I'm limited on that too - just haven't put in enough time on it I suppose. Mostly fingerpicking, but again, not my strongest point!

I did mess around with a mandolin for a while, looked at bluegrass and other folk styles, but wasn't using it enough to stick at it. I was in a little acoustic trio for a while and was hoping the singer/second guitar player might brush up a bit more on his guitar skills to let me get it in there, but he never did before we folded. Always loved the sound of a mandolin paired with an acoustic guitar.

Never been a kit head - give me a decent guitar, amp and some basic effects and I'm happy. I had the Jim Dunlop wah, can't remember what happened to that, could use a replacement.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

The only such piece (spanish stuff?) that I ever attempted to learn to play was this: https://youtu.be/11KaKhGAa3I?t=19 Paul Gilbert's Flamingo. I found tabs, so tried my best... on a western style guitar. Embarassed

Cavatina is another excellent piece of guitar music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izNxtsC1b4k

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:51 - 18 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Well, if you have been successful at all that lot, you're probably way ahead of me on the technical skills level!
I'm more of a blues and blues-rock player myself, as I find it more accessible (from a listening and playing point of view). So I do more in the way of improvisation than trying to learn pieces by rote, although I'm always on the lookout for something else I think I can get down to add to the arsenal I do have. I do play some slide too.
My main influences are SRV, Rory Gallagher, Hendrix, BB King and many other blues players, and of course The Mighty Zep.

For acoustic, again it's largely blues, some folk and an interest in celtic-style tunes, although I'm limited on that too - just haven't put in enough time on it I suppose. Mostly fingerpicking, but again, not my strongest point!

I did mess around with a mandolin for a while, looked at bluegrass and other folk styles, but wasn't using it enough to stick at it. I was in a little acoustic trio for a while and was hoping the singer/second guitar player might brush up a bit more on his guitar skills to let me get it in there, but he never did before we folded. Always loved the sound of a mandolin paired with an acoustic guitar.

Never been a kit head - give me a decent guitar, amp and some basic effects and I'm happy. I had the Jim Dunlop wah, can't remember what happened to that, could use a replacement.

What helped me a lot, apart from TABS, was to learn the pentatonics and scales in general. It really teaches you what strings/frets sound well together and in sequence. Improvising a solo, or learning how to play music is then somewhat easier, as ''everyone'' uses the same techniques, just like chords for instance. Once again, Paul Gilbert gave me the idea.

It's been awhile since I played my guitar properly. The techniques and notes are there, but the speed is long gone.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 18 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

What helped me a lot, apart from TABS, was to learn the pentatonics and scales in general. It really teaches you what strings/frets sound well together and in sequence. Improvising a solo, or learning how to play music is then somewhat easier, as ''everyone'' uses the same techniques, just like chords for instance. Once again, Paul Gilbert gave me the idea.

Chords and scales I'm good with. The fun part for me is where you can go outside of them, push some boundaries. I'll rarely ever use just the blues scale in blues for e.g., but will mix it up with major, and use chords and partial chords in lead work to create a fuller sound. Long lines of single notes bore me! As does playing repetitive patterns (as do most of the speed merchants as far as I can tell).

Quote:
It's been awhile since I played my guitar properly. The techniques and notes are there, but the speed is long gone.

Time to get into blues, and make expression your watchword! Smile

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 18 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/gFt0fk5.jpg[/img]

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 18 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Call of the Wild last night.
A bit of snow in that. Wink Thumbs Up

Also a bit of Harrison Ford's naked chest, hoorah.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 18 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all gone warm and wet here today. constant rain since around 9am. and forecast for the next few days.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

S'no more snow here.

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 04:34 - 22 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
What is a 120 ton?

Roughly 90ton machine with 30ton container hanging off the front of it.

Fun fact:

We see a 5ton tank as 'light'. Laughing

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 16:25 - 23 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also have to work outside in this weather, The wind chill is the worst part without wind its not too bad.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/tatters_weather.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/rtu_tatters.jpg
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3