Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scambusters - what's doing the rounds today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 23 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Very sorry, you must pay for the "re -direct" the amount of 0.23£ (What countries put the currency symbol after the numbers?!)

Yeah I've had that one, and it was exactly that which made me go ... "WTF, wait a moment! Currency weirdness." and reverse myself out.

Cos I really was waiting for an important-ish parcel I thought I had missed and I nearly fell for it.

Then I decided to wait it out and surprise surprise the parcel turned up under its own steam 5 days later, slightly later than the event it had been bought for but no major drama.

Mad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 23 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one which I fell heavily for (and have only just finished paying off) - was the one that advertises with something like "Martin Lewis recommends this training" and which ends up with a substantial commitment to a huge rip-off on a trading platform for the extremely stupid (i.e., me).

I got very lucky on several counts that I didn't get in deeper shit than I did (how much deeper than £25k do you want to go? I've heard of people losing over £100k on these scams, I think I got away lightly, if you can call it that(!), thanks to the timely admission of my problem to the Military Type, who kindly coached me about how to get out of it (as best I could) literally days before he returned to live abroad.

I'm still - and always will be - chapped about the stupidity of myself at falling for/losing so much - and I still get phone calls from people trying to re-engage with me about the damn thing. I basically tell them politely that if they don't fuck off and remove my number from their list (pointless request, I know, I know) - that I will call the police : also probably a pointless threat but it makes me feel better.

Because of my total mug-fulness in that little misadventure, I now get a daily call from an 0843 number with a recorded message about thank you for my call, one of their agents will get back to me. Just Fuck Off! Rolling Eyes ... Nowadays I just tag them with a title like "Twatbag call#1/2/3" etc. and ignore them.

Unexpected "normal" callers get unintentional short shrift as a result.
The other day I fucked off some lady who was trying to get me to do the Lung Health Check (perfectly legit) but she made the mistake of being quite vague in telling me that my GP had requested it.

But because I am so fed up with wanky callers over the last year or so, I fucked her off out of it quite rudely by telling her I worked for a hospital (I declined to mention it was the same hospital as the one she was calling from, as I recognised the telephone/switchboard number Laughing Laughing ) ... and that if I wanted my lung health checked I would go to a colleague and ask. She tried to get me to listen whilst she read out some disclaimer but I was standing on Piccadilly at Green Park Station with traffic roaring in my ears and didn't have the patience to listen.

I'm not especially addicted to having my phone on me at all times these days, and its quite refreshing to not have to put up with these inane callers.

Brick Wall

Last edited by hellkat on 00:35 - 24 May 2024; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 23 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those crypto scams are bad. I was watching one on TV, which I presume was the same as yours HK, where someone invested £200 and somehow it turned into a huge loss that he was liable for. Madness.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:31 - 23 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the pig butchering scam. Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_butchering_scam

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 23 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

That sounds a lot like wot I dug my father-in-law out of Thinking

hellkat wrote:
Unexpected "normal" callers get unintentional short shrift as a result.

Whoops! A girl rang me and started reeling off disclaimers about calls being recorded. "No thanks, you haven't even said what company you're calling from!" Turned out to be Peugeot head-office following up on my complaint about their use of wet belts in engines Shifty

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:31 - 24 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

That's not how it happened.
Parts of that description fit, but the initial engagement was nothing like that. I kick myself daily for allowing myself to fall for it.

Certainly it *sounded* viable but I was foolish, conceited - more like a prize bullock with a ring through its nose. But my ego was too big to admit it felt dodgy.

When I eventually started to get cold-enough feet to back out, the scammer went garrity, yelling and screaming at me.
That was what finally raised my suspicion to a level that brought me to my senses. The woman dropped her visage of "professionalism" and swore at me - big mistake.
... I became a bullock digging its heels into the mire I found myself stuck in Laughing
*I can laugh at myself now but at the time, I was sick to my stomach for weeks when I realised what had happened.

For some reason (because I had told nobody what I had done) ... I admitted it to the Military Type, and he helped by talking me into backing out - at the risk of losing what little was left. Which is exactly what happened.

I started to research other similar scams where people had lost 5 times more than me - so I just battened down the hatches and concentrated on cutting back on outgoings.

On top of this, I parted company with the boyfriend I had at the time (who had no idea what I had done) and my mother excommunicated me for some minor filial misdemeanour, so it was a pretty bad moment in life.

I was smoking a lot of weed back then, and "it seemed like a good idea at the time", yea right.

I continued smoking weed for a few more months, feeling mightily sorry for myself but eventually I pulled up my socks, talked very harshly to myself and quit the weed pretty much cold turkey. I do miss that lovely stoner feeling of being hazily wasted - but I miss the money more. I could have had several nice long holidays with that money.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2