Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wrote my car off! What next?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from Random Banter to Dear Auntie BCF... by Korn (10 Mar 2006 - 18:53)
View previous topic : View next topic  

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Quote:
How can you compare that to someone who
Quote:
decided to take a corner too fast in the rain

Easy. You both mis-read the road and crashed because of it.

Maybe he had a greater error of judgement than you. But we're talking about scale, not whether either of you made an error in the first place.

What if the road he was on should have been fine to take at that speed for a normally surfaced road, but the reason that he took it 'too fast' was because of a poor road surface he hadn't seen. Would that be 'ok' in your eyes?

So by driving under the speed limit, and not seeing something that was invisible I made an error??
What a crock of shit. There was nothing in or on the road which would have caused me to take extreme caution. I was driving well under the speed limit. There were witnesses who couldn't see what had caused to car to slide before, and after the crash. I still dont know.
We presumed it was diesel on the road because we couldn't come up with another reason.
There is no way on earth that can be compared to someone who admitted they took the corner too fast!

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 13:05 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you just went too fast round the corner Laughing

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Maybe you just went too fast round the corner Laughing

yes. maybe the 50 signs are there to encourage accidents. Confused

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 13:25 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the difference between Cagiva and you is that at least Cagiva can admit some fault and responsibility for his accident. You on the other hand are blaming your accident on a road where "conditions were good. the road was dry and there were no damp spots or anything." Yeah so it must have been diesel which had dried in leaving absolutely no trace on the road surface Confused

Quote:
We presumed it was diesel on the road because we couldn't come up with another reason

Yeah that was an easy presumption to make,easier that saying you fu(ked up and took a corner too fast for the combination of your ability,the conditions and the state of your vehicle. But I guess you'll come back to tell us that your car was mot'd 20 minutes previously,all tyre pressures were checked, tread was at optimum and tyres were warmed up.

Let me tell you,Cagiva when he gains experience on the road will be a better driver than those who always look for excuses for their act of god accidents,blaming everything from fantasy diesel to bloody earthquakes. This is a young guy who had an accident which he admits is partially his fault, no excuses offered,none required.He comes on asking for advice and some one who thinks he is infallible gives him unjustified stick.

No one was hurt in the accident,and as Cagiva ended up in a field I assume it was not a built up area therefor low chance of him hitting someone.Either give the guy constructive advice or keep your abusive comments and self delusions to yourself.

And just for the record Cagiva said he took the corner too fast in the rain at 50 mph, he did not say he was exceeding the speed limit, and for all you know you are giving a guy abuse who had slowed to below the limit due to conditions.

At least when he came off the road it was wet and raining, You LOST control of your car in dry good conditions. Who sounds like a good driver there Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you crash you are always going too fast, the difference between crashing and not is knowing what is'nt too fast and in the dark and wet the odds start stacking up against you, and once diesel is thrown in for good measure your chances become even less.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:35 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the speed limit is a maximum limit set, it does not dicatate that driving at any lower percentage of it will be safe. Nor does it mean that driving above it will be un-safe.
He may well have been on a national speed limit doing 10/20mph under the limit at the time.

I would suspect his perception before he crashed was probably that he was going at a reasonable speed for the corner.

Are you trying to claim you weren't going to fast?

Maybe it was very hard to see that there was a problem. However I presume many cars had taken that corner that day in similar conditions and not crashed. I'd be willing to bet a 'better' driver would have not crashed in your place.

Maybe you were 'less' at fault, but we still talking about different points on the same scale.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollocks.
I was driving under the limit, on a road I know well. I've drived over the same stretch twice a day for about 20 years.
Its the local bypass. its not even a corner, its a gentle curve, but the adverse camber tends to push all the weight to one side of the car. Thats why I was driving
Quote:
UNDER
the roads limits.
Just to make it clear, I was already driving within the speed limits of the road. I slowed down even more to take the curve.
At no point did I exceed the speed limits.
Yet you compare this to someone who actually decided to drive too fast round a bend in the wet, and then say he will make a better driver because he admits to it?? give me strength. a pound to a penny says he does the same thing again within a couple of years.

Maybe I was a little harsh on him, but if someone says he decided to take the bend to fast, in the rain it sounds to me like he thinks its clever.
A car is not a toy. It is a dangerous weapon.

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 13:51 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think you quite grasp this, YOU crashed therefore you were driving TOO fast. Are you following? Its really quite simple.

Cagiva also crashed, because he was driving TOO fast. Still with me?

No-where did Cagiva say he was exceeding the speed limit. Got it?

YOU BOTH CRASHED from going TOO fast, speed is a factor in every accident. Still here?

OK Cagiva can admit he was going too fast for the conditions,that is called learning from your mistake.

You on the other hand seem to believe that you had no responsibility for the vehicle you were driving leaving the road Confused

Whether you were going 5 mph or 50mph has no relevance,if you crashed you were going too fast . So simple my 3 year old can understand it.

Do You?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for putting that into simple english kwaker. Thumbs Up

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 13:56 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs mate,just to make sure the message gets across Wink

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not taking sides here, but the speed limit does not indicate how fast you can travel along a road due to the conditions of a road.

Making a point that a person is under the speed limit before a crash is totally irrelevant.

If a person crashed it was due to inappropriate speed. If you crashed at 30 in a 60 you are still going to fast.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if i was going to fast, then how is it I could stand and watch cars all day long, going about 20 mph faster and not crash?
Perhaps they're all better driver than I am?
If I turn around now and say, its my own fault, I was driving to fast, will that make me a better driver too having learned from my experience?
No. it wont. because I still dont know the cause.
What am I supposed to do? drive around everywhere at 10mph because I dont know the full facts about every inch of the road at any one given moment?
the only similarities between me and whatshisname is we both crashed. I looked at the road and slowed down, he looked at the road and didn't slow down. He could have slowed down, he chose not to. his choice. in my opinion it was a reckless choice.

One more thing. May 2005. Cagiva mito say he went through a speed camera at 60-65 in a 50 zone. he knows it was wrong but he's learnt from it....
After this I'd say maybe he hasn't.

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 14:23 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

???? Where in Cagivas post did it say he didnt slow down for the corner? He said he took a corner too fast,completely different statement than saying
Quote:
he looked at the road and didn't slow down

Quote:
So if i was going to fast, then how is it I could stand and watch cars all day long, going about 20 mph faster and not crash?
Perhaps they're all better driver than I am?

Yeah that is a possibility.Glad you are at least questioning that now. Could also be that their cars are more roadworthy,that they were more alert,that in any given accident there is an element of chance and circumstance(commonly known as luck).

My point to you is don't give a guy abuse and wish him bad karma when he is being honest with himself and others,even if he only sees it in hindsight. Also actually read and re-read his post until you know what he has said,don' t fill in the details the way you think it happened. Even on the above post you are still saying he was reckless.

Well my point now is that IF he WAS reckless he is less likely to be so again. As you say you were not reckless and still can't understand why/how you crashed (have you dropped the must have been diesel as cant think of anything else theory?)then makes you,both then and now a different ous, starting with danger.

I think it is time you take responsibility for your actions, as you have been driving 24 years and only had this one accident I suggest you probably had a moment of distraction and were not fully concentrated on the task in hand. And whether you chose to admit it to yourself or nor,deep down you know you were a factor in your accident and subconciously HAVE learned from it.

Give this guy a chance,reread his posts and stop looking to be contoversial and abusive to him.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:33 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:

the only similarities between me and whatshisname is we both crashed. I looked at the road and slowed down, he looked at the road and didn't slow down. He could have slowed down, he chose not to. his choice. in my opinion it was a reckless choice.

He didn't say he didn't slow down. I think it can be taken as fact that both of you didn't slow down enough.
As if either of you had slowed down more the probability is you wouldn't have crashed.

If other people didn't crash doing the same speeds on the same day as you did, then we can presume that there was either something on the road you didn't see that caused you to lose traction or it was a mechanical problem with your car.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if something was wrong with the car the crash must have fixed it. I had the car put in for repair the day after the crash. They checked the chassis alignment and it was straight. the tyres and wheels where ok so that rules that out. The car was a 5 year old run of the mill mondeo estate, not some souped up max power shitheap. If someone admits to that driving too fast caused an accident then i'm afraid i'm going to assume they're a knob head. its all very well saying he's learnt his lesson coz he's admitted he did something stupid.
If I go out and punch someone, then apologise does that make everything ok? I dont think so.
you got your opinions. I got mine. looks like they're always going to differ on this.

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 14:50 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
If someone admits to that driving too fast caused an accident then i'm afraid i'm going to assume they're a knob head.

You should never Assume anything, it just makes an ASS of U and ME Laughing Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Wrote my car off! What next? Reply with quote

Cagiva Mito wrote:
What next?

Learn to drive.

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 14:16 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to believe the same person wrote both of these Shocked

"I got done for 87 in a 40 and got away with a fixed penalty. 3 points & £40 I think it was. The copper who stopped me said there wasn't any other traffic & I looked to be in full control but he couldn't let me off as it was over double the speed limit. I think I was doing about 105 when I first spotted him.
I thanked him for the ticket and I meant it."

Quote:
With a bit of luck you will be arrested and then banned for dangerous driving, and hopefully your insurance wil be declared invalid due to your reckless driving and you wont be paid out.
What if there had been someone walking along the road when you lost control?? would that just have been "One of those things"????
Knobhead.

There but for the grace of God Karma

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 14:24 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwaker6r wrote:
YOU BOTH CRASHED from going TOO fast, speed is a factor in every accident. Still here?

Of course it fucking is, two parked cars can't crash into each other, they have to be moving at 'a' speed, that is a completely retarded statement.

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, this guys having a bitch fit and moaning about him not killing someone. And for having a near identical crash too him!

Owdamer you are a tit. Think before you speak!

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwaker6r wrote:
Hard to believe the same person wrote both of these Shocked

"I got done for 87 in a 40 and got away with a fixed penalty. 3 points & £40 I think it was. The copper who stopped me said there wasn't any other traffic & I looked to be in full control but he couldn't let me off as it was over double the speed limit. I think I was doing about 105 when I first spotted him.
I thanked him for the ticket and I meant it."

There but for the grace of God Karma[/quote]

Yes. I got done for speeding.
I was a knobhead and I got points and a fine for it.
That was about 12 years ago and I've not been done since.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2