Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Vulcan to the sky

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
flame220 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 07 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flame220 wrote:

I now live about a mile from RAF Waddington & hope all planes (without exception) get grounded immediately !

Stop your moaning, lol Laughing

You want to try living here for 3 years. ( I shit you not)

https://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/micklivesey/misc/gib.jpg
flame220 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 07 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flame220 wrote:

Yeah but you bought into that Mr Livesey..... & will get the pension eventually !

Nope my dad did.

I was 13 at the time and became a plane spotter for a few years. Embarassed Although I did see some planes propper plane spotters would kill for. Laughing

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 07 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flame220 wrote:
That looks like a block rather than quarters

3 storey married quarters (flats) as shown in this pic. All the 3 storey buildings you can see are married quarters except the part to the right of that tower you can see in the same block I've ringed. Thumbs Up

https://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/micklivesey/misc/Gibraltar2.jpg

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 08 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not moaning I thought it was pretty cool at the time. Wink

And it beats the sound of a chaved up saxo any day, even at 3 in the morning. Rolling Eyes

zaknafien

PostPosted: 01:21 - 08 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flame220 wrote:
a saxo throbbing along the road is comedy

It was funny to laugh at the first few hundred times now you just hope they crash into a wall as they go past to make it funny.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:15 - 08 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flame220 wrote:
Ask those brothers at East Kirkby, they own the Lancaster 'Just Jane' (ex 'City of Lincoln', gate guardian at Scampton). A far more important plane than any Vulcan, the Lanc was an operational plane & the average loss of aircrew life was in the region of 1,250 at most bases that had the Lanc.

The Vulcan was never actually used for its intended role as a delivery device for Yellow Sun or Blue Steel, it was a conventional bomber that only ever got a few minutes of fame dropping 21 iron bombs on Port Stanley runway.

Vulcans, Victors and Valiants were never intended to be used. They were built for one purpose and one purpose only. To make sure that anyone threatning a first strike on the UK would consider the prospect of a squadron of Vulcans armed with Blue Steel missiles descending on their capital city and think again. As such, they achieved their purpose more completely that any military aircraft ever built.

If a Vulcan ever carried out its primary role, they would have been a failure and we wouldn't be sat here discussing it.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:05 - 08 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting fact about the Vulcan is that it could out manoever a fighter. In tests of a dog fight, test pilot vs test pilot, the Vulcan scored 4 hits out of 5. I'm told it only lost one because an engine stalled in a turn. If you're wondering how it won, the Vulcan did carry air-to-air missiles - had to make sure it could get through air defences.

There's also a story of how when it was deamed too old for high level bombing (air defence too good) it was switched to low level attack. There was an exercise in the USA. The Yanks were confident nothing could get through, told the RAF guys so. Response was that they'd been, hit the target and were on their way home. Yank radar didn't even know about it Very Happy

As for the Lancaster I agree it's an impressive sight. As a boy I've been lucky enough to drive past Scampton when the Lancaster in place. I've also seen the City Of Lincoln in the air. Truly awe inspiring when it does a fly past with the bomb doors open. One of the best bits in a film is when the Dambusters fly over an English city on their way out. I've always thought it was Lincoln with its catherdral.

If anyone fancies a bit of a bike ride then may I suggest you go 'New York'. It's actually a small village in Lincolnshire (see here). It makes an interesting story in the pub afterwards to say you rode your bike in New York. Anyhow, New York just happens to be near RAF Coningsby, where the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight is based. So if you went in the week you could pay it a visit (click here for info).

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 17:11 - 08 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If a Vulcan ever carried out its primary role, they would have been a failure and we wouldn't be sat here discussing it.

bravo Thumbs Up

i saw a program (well many, as they repeat them every month or so) on discovery wings about the vulcans and victors, and most of the pilots and aircrew that flew them, were saying that exact thing

they would have considered themselves to have failed, had they ever had to deploy for real

very interesting stuff, proper men of steel those, happy to accept that if the shit hit the fan, they probably wouldnt be coming back, pretty inspiring, proper english gritty stiff upper lip stuff
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

king kong
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:29 - 08 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flame220 wrote:
I now live about a mile from RAF Waddington & hope all planes (without exception) get grounded immediately !

I live on the South Coast (Lancing Sussex) and there is absolutley no military air traffic whatsoever, so when I see or hear a fast jet I get a tremendous buzz and envy you living near Waddy.
In fact I'm so sad that a highlight of a weeks break in Scotland was standing at access raod at the end of the runway at RAF Leuchars and seeing the Tornado F3s' take off, momentary loss of hearing was well worth it though.

flame220 wrote:
I thought this forum was about bikes ???

I think you'll find the section 'Current Affairs' is a bit of a clue as to why this topic is here Wink But i do value your comments though Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 11:28 - 09 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaah guys i missed this one!

That's a shitter, i remember when i used to go to Fairford with my dad every year without fail, we saw the flying wing, the harrier, the jaguar (doing an impressive near stall manouvre) and then i went off with him to look for souvenirs....
Then i heard it.... Shocked WTF?
I saw it coming over the tower and then it flew passed, i was almost sick, it felt like the sound was compressing me into the ground and i shat my pants. I was only about 15 at the time and my favorite plane was the A10 because it was a silent killer.
From then on i talked about that Vulcan and the time it made me feel ill.
I LOVED IT! Razz Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a few Vulcan parts in the early 80's at Bae systems in Chadderton. (or British Aerospace as it was then known).
I saw it fly a few times at the woodford airshow. Fantastic sight. I'll never forget the sound of it as it came in to land, touched the wheels on the runway then applied full power and shot up into the sky. The ground just shook, it was awesome!

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 05:30 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive only seen one on the ground but it was an impressive fearsome looking aircraft.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flame220 wrote:
Owdamer wrote:
I'll never forget the sound of it as it came in to land, touched the wheels on the runway then applied full power and shot up into the sky. The ground just shook, it was awesome!

That is called 'circuit & bumps'
a regular passtime of the raf, I bet they dont pay nearly a quid a litre !!!

I'd pay a quid to see it again!! Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up
I wish I lived near an RAF base, all we ever see flying over here is airliners & the police helicopter. Sad

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Vulcans fly when I was a kid and went to loads of airshows, they are loud Shocked

I alwsys remember the anticipation as it would approach for a low flyby and then be hit in the chest with the ground rumbling pain as the jet engines passed.

There is (or used to be a static one) at Southend Airport, just down the road from me in Essex. Every so often they would fire t up and take a trip down the run way.

The only time that I've been up close and perosnal with one is at Hendon RAF muesum in London. You could walk around, stare into the bomb bay and touch it Embarassed

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 12:07 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used to do those fly by's when I was a kid at Swanton Morley.

Awesome, has to be experience to be believed. I was a bit of a plane spotter, but even my Mum can remember what a Vulcan is. Kinda thing you don't forget.

Getting one flying again would be awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
An interesting fact about the Vulcan is that it could out manoever a fighter. In tests of a dog fight, test pilot vs test pilot, the Vulcan scored 4 hits out of 5. I'm told it only lost one because an engine stalled in a turn. If you're wondering how it won, the Vulcan did carry air-to-air missiles - had to make sure it could get through air defences.

There's also a story of how when it was deamed too old for high level bombing (air defence too good) it was switched to low level attack. There was an exercise in the USA. The Yanks were confident nothing could get through, told the RAF guys so. Response was that they'd been, hit the target and were on their way home. Yank radar didn't even know about it Very Happy

As for the Lancaster I agree it's an impressive sight. As a boy I've been lucky enough to drive past Scampton when the Lancaster in place. I've also seen the City Of Lincoln in the air. Truly awe inspiring when it does a fly past with the bomb doors open. One of the best bits in a film is when the Dambusters fly over an English city on their way out. I've always thought it was Lincoln with its catherdral.

If anyone fancies a bit of a bike ride then may I suggest you go 'New York'. It's actually a small village in Lincolnshire (see here). It makes an interesting story in the pub afterwards to say you rode your bike in New York. Anyhow, New York just happens to be near RAF Coningsby, where the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight is based. So if you went in the week you could pay it a visit (click here for info).

HTH Thumbs Up

I live in Tattershall which is right next to Coningsby and just down the road from New York Map

So i get to see a lot of planes, the Lancaster, Hurricane, Spitfire and a Dakota i believe fly directly over our house at about 100 Feet very regularly during the summer.

Plus we get a lot of Typhoon activity and some of those pilots are nutters Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4