Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just what, exactly, is the point?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no examples Keith. You lose.

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:
@Fawbish.

I gave an example some time ago (just before Hetz started posting from a motivational poster with the dolphins...)

It involved a dying man in the desert, he finds water. Does he drink it for the pleasure or to survive?

What is his motivation? Is he thinking if I drink that, It'll be pleasureable or is he thinking if I drink that, I'll survive. (The pleasure then being incidental to the main motivation; that being: to survive.)

Hetz skimmed over this earlier, I forget where, I think he was commuing with Blue Whales... Wink

Thumbs Up

What will he feel when he has survived the ordeal?

"I survived. I am happy I survived. Otherwise I would not have drunk the water. Also, when parched in the desert, drinking that water felt so good!" Pleasure on both counts, I reckon.

Necessity < Survival < Pleasure ...maybe? *shrugs*

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:
Fawbish wrote:
Could anyone cite an example where pleasure is not the motivation at the end? Just want to see if anyone can actually provide something to that end?

Im quite interested in seeing if lots of examples can be boiled down.

Mark?

I think there is a confusion being made between motivation and conclusion. While the conclusion in many cases (possibly most, but definitely not all) is pleasure, the motivation can be a range of things.

The distinction needs to be made between the two.

Also, I have a problem with use of language and the interpretation there-of. For example (and this is relative to the individual) Relief for me doesn't mean pleasure, it means an absence of trouble, pain or awkwardness.

The same with Satisfaction, it means I'm satisfied with the results, no more and no less. Again an absence of dissatisfaction but no pleasure.

Hetzer can argue against this until he's as blue as Papa Smurf, but since these are my personal views they can no more be disproved or quantified with logic than my hatred for brussel sprouts. Why don't I like the way they taste? I just don't... And so begins the endlessly pejorative and ultimately pointless circular argument of which Keith speaks.

Thumbs Up

If a feeling is feel-good it's pleasure.

Satisfaction, relief, solace, many other words, they all denote feel good, which is pleasure.

I don't see how anyone could possibly argue against that. What are the alternatives? They feel bad? They feel nothing?

You barely even have to think about. C'mon! Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:05 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

Examples given. You have choosen to ignore them. Probably as you have no real basis for your argument.

Keith

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:
pa_broon74 wrote:
@Fawbish.

I gave an example some time ago (just before Hetz started posting from a motivational poster with the dolphins...)

It involved a dying man in the desert, he finds water. Does he drink it for the pleasure or to survive?

What is his motivation? Is he thinking if I drink that, It'll be pleasureable or is he thinking if I drink that, I'll survive. (The pleasure then being incidental to the main motivation; that being: to survive.)

Hetz skimmed over this earlier, I forget where, I think he was commuing with Blue Whales... Wink

Thumbs Up

What will he feel when he has survived the ordeal?

"I survived. I am happy I survived. Otherwise I would not have drunk the water. Also, when parched in the desert, drinking that water felt so good!" Pleasure on both counts, I reckon.

Necessity < Survival < Pleasure ...maybe? *shrugs*

Exactly. Pleasure on more than one level. The pleasure of assuaging the thirst, the pleasure of surviving, the pleasure of having got one over on death (temporarily or otherwise), the pleasure of having been smart enough to go in the direction that led to the discovery of the water (merited or otherwise).

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

Examples given. You have choosen to ignore them. Probably as you have no real basis for your argument.

Keith

Multiple examples from me, ignored none of yours, you refuse to back up your arguments with continuing examples, you lose.

Give us one example of something YOU did that wasn't motivated by the desire for pleasure. Would that be simple enough for you to do Keith, or will you ignore that yet again and give more waffle?

You lose.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:19 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Multiple examples from me, ignored none of yours, you refuse to back up your arguments with continuing examples, you lose.

I have given several. You have ignored them

Hetzer wrote:
Give us one example of something YOU did that wasn't motivated by the desire for pleasure. Would that be simple enough for you to do Keith, or will you ignore that yet again and give more waffle?

I have never claimed I am not motivated for a desire for pleasure. And I have stated that several times in this thread. The issue is your claim that "The root motivation of anything a human does is pleasure". I have no issue with 99% of things a human does being motivated by pleasure (and I agree that drinking dirty water when you would otherwise die of thirst would almost certainly trigger feelings that could be easily called pleasure), as I have said many times. I have an issue with the idea that 100% of peoples actions are motivated by pleasure. And no amount of examples will prove your 100% theory. While any single example (which have been given) disproves it.

Keith

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
I have an issue with the idea that 100% of peoples actions are motivated by pleasure.

Give me an example of an act not motivated by a desire for pleasure.

And while you're at it give all the ones you claim I've ignored.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:52 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

Those already mentioned include those motivated by power (which you asume is just a way of gaining pleasure). The situation of putting a pet down, which causes pain and in my position having the cat put down certainly did not reduce that pain. Another example. How about those performing suicidal acts of "bravery" in war. No pleasure when there is essentially a 100% chance of death.

You are also counting out Fawbishs example. You said "I would argue that he was either already mentally abnormal (a functional sociopath) or became abnormal as a result of facing ruin", yet it is still a motivation that affects a human, which counts out your claim of The root motivation of anything a human does is pleasure.

Keith

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

Those already mentioned include those motivated by power (which you asume is just a way of gaining pleasure). The situation of putting a pet down, which causes pain and in my position having the cat put down certainly did not reduce that pain. Another example. How about those performing suicidal acts of "bravery" in war. No pleasure when there is essentially a 100% chance of death.

You are also counting out Fawbishs example. You said "I would argue that he was either already mentally abnormal (a functional sociopath) or became abnormal as a result of facing ruin", yet it is still a motivation that affects a human, which counts out your claim of The root motivation of anything a human does is pleasure.

Keith

Ooh, ooh, a raft of assumptions! You assume power for powr's sake! You assume pain with no gain. Prove it! Do as I did to prove the opposite and give examples.

No, you can't. You lose. Hoisted on your own petard matey. Laughing

Fawbish's example...read it again. I mentioned discluding it, but went ahead and encompassed it anyway. Clearly you missed that bit, eh?

Hetzer wrote:
But if he could be described as normal, while doing such a thing ( Confused ) the pleasure would have been denying his creditors their pound of flesh and the world/other people his wife and daughter (possessions). An act of revenge/denial. "Ha! I WIN!"

Engines out, wheels off, but Keith's riding that bad boy all the way to the ground. Laughing

Kickstart wrote:
How about those performing suicidal acts of "bravery" in war. No pleasure when there is essentially a 100% chance of death.

Yow, more assumptions? From Keith? You assume in every case they knew they were going to die? "100%" eh? How many ways shall I cut that lot to pieces Keith, eh? Shall I not bother and spare you your blushes?

Let's assume they knew. Indulgence of rage (pleasure). Being seen to do the brave thing by comrades (pleasure through ego). Saving comrades' lives (pleasure through satisfaction/relief).

Or whatever. To put it more basically, an advantage is sought, and if achieved = satisfaction (pleasure). It costs the individual his life, and he knew it would? Clearly he already calculated the cost then, but proceeded anyway...seeking an advantage (survival of comrades). Advantage achieved = satisfaction = pleasure. Might not achieve it, but the attempt was motivated by the anticipated pleasure in success.

Advantage sought. If achieved = pleasure. Or maybe you think a person would feel no positive emotion from gaining the advantage they'd sought.

"Oh, but the person's going to be dead, and knows it". Pleasure experienced beforehand from knowing an advantage will be attained, or at least attempted.

I can show pleasure in every act Keith. The only possible defence you could offer, as previously mentioned, is that the pleasure in every/many/some acts is coincidental, but I've already dealt with that. A coincidence cannot be a 100%-occuring event, because if it occurs 100% it can longer be a coincidence, it becomes a rule.

If it's not coincidence what else can it be? Ah yes...the motivation.

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

A soldier rustled to war in the 1st world war. Called up, signed up, weapon slapped in hand and he is forced to go to war.

He doesnt want to be there, in the trenches. He doesnt want to die for his country. He doesnt want to go "over the top" but does so and is shot. He dies.

Pleasure anywhere there? I must admit, I'm struggling with this one.

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the same as the water in the desert anology. Its the difference between motivation and outcome, the motivation isn't pleasure, its just a by-product of the outcome.

In the case of the soldier going off to war, I know exactly what Hetzer will say, nobility or pride begets a feel good factor ergo, pleasure. But the whole premise of his argument is wrong.

Human motivation is not for pleasure, it is to survive. Pleasure is just an outcome of that motivation (Assuming you did in fact survive.) I still maintain (and no one has been able to disprove it.) A man dying of thirst is not driven by the pleasure of drinking water, eh's driven by the fact that if he doesn't, he'll die.

That logic is infallable and it hasn't been refuted or properly disproved by anyone.

The idea that if you're not feeling pleasure you must be feeling pain and vice versa is again, highly subjective and depends on the individual. If this was the case, surely it would mean that you were bipolar.

The human condition isn't black or white or on or off, its all grey. Thats why this argument is so circular, Hezter is trying to 'prove' human behaviour and you just can't do that, its why there are only theories in psychology and no rules. (Unlike physics where you have formalae to explain the world.)

While I agree that much of what a human does is to gain pleasure (a trait unique to humans??) It isn't our main motivation, our reason de etre. That is far more elusive and certainly could never be measured or proven, perhaps if you do that, it'll spell the end of the race...

In terms of the man seeking power for example, do you think a man with power would ever give up looking for more? The outcome of getting that power and all its trappings is undoubtedly pleasure, his motivations on the other hand for seeking it are impossible to predict.

This is where I disagree with Hetzer, its the distinction between Motivation and outcome, they are not the same thing at all.

And as far as I am concerned, no one has adequately refuted the man dying of thirst in the desert thing. Cool It has stood the test to my way of thinking. I don't doubt after he's drunk it, he'll be thinking "golly, that was nice." But as he's approaching it; he can't swallow for the dryness in his throat and the cramps in his gut, can't think properly due to the dehydration, the crippling headaches... Almost able to feel his vital organs shutting down one by one...

He's not thinking, "Hoots mon! I'm going to enjoy this..." He's thinking, "Mummy! I don't want to die like this..." (Much like your soldier going to war I imagine...)

Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:53 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
How about those performing suicidal acts of "bravery" in war. No pleasure when there is essentially a 100% chance of death.

They do it out of a sense of duty. IE they would have mental pain if they feel they hadnt done their duty.

From my point of view throwing away your life is stupid, but there is a bigger picture.

Someone doesnt join up to die, they join to be respected and to belong and to have status and money. Part of the deal is you have to be willing to give up your life if necessary. Its about honouring that deal.

In the same way that our genes give us pleasure and pain so that we serve them to reproduce, society has also evolved ways of giving individuals pleasure or pain to serve society.

So someone who doesnt raise kids, can gain satisfaction from helping society and being a helpful citizen. For example doing pics of xmas lights and helping in the workshop section of bcf.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all the examples above, ask yourselves how the person might feel if he didn't commit the acts. Sense of personal failure? Despair? What's the balance between doing something and not doing it in terms of emotional response? How about the path of least resistance vs possible reward. Best reward for doing it or for not doing it?

In all cases human beings seek the best possible outcome, the best advantage, even where all possible options are bad (the least of all evils). In a worst-case scenario, where the best possible choice is still shit, the end result will be a rationalisation "Well, it could have been worse." Solace, consolation, relief, best of a bad job. Some sense of satisfaction at having handled an impossible situation as well as it could have been handled.

I think you chaps are applying too gross a definition on the idea of 'pleasure'. It's far more subtle than that, even abstract in some cases. But it still comes down to the same fundamental thing, a person will seek the best possible outcome, and if that is achieved it will give some measure of positive feeling, satisfaction, relief. And all of those words are ways of describing pleasure, of quantifying it.

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:
Dictionary.com says... wrote:
sat·is·fac·tion Audio Help /ˌsætɪsˈfækʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sat-is-fak-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. an act of satisfying; fulfillment; gratification.
2. the state of being satisfied; contentment.
3. the cause or means of being satisfied.
4. confident acceptance of something as satisfactory, dependable, true, etc.
5. reparation or compensation, as for a wrong or injury.
6. the opportunity to redress or right a wrong, as by a duel.
7. payment or discharge, as of a debt or obligation.
8. Ecclesiastical. a. an act of doing penance or making reparation for venial sin.
b. the penance or reparation made.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1250–1300; < L satisfactiōn- (s. of satisfactiō) a doing enough, equiv. to satisfact(us) (ptp. of satisfacere, equiv. to satis enough + facere to make, do1) + -iōn- -ion; r. ME satisfaccioun < AF < L, as above]

—Related forms
sat·is·fac·tion·al, adjective
sat·is·fac·tion·less, adjective

—Synonyms 2. enjoyment, pleasure, comfort. 5. amends, expiation, atonement, indemnity, indemnification, requital, recompense. 7. repayment, remuneration.
—Antonyms 2. displeasure, discontent.

Your personal views dont change what has been decided by many to be the meaning of a word. Wink

I see where youre coming from though.

Using words to describe how a person feels is always going to be a sticky proposition because my idea of satisfied (regardless of what is said on dictionary.com) is always going to be unique to me

Its why philosophers, authors and song writers are in business. Wink

Still, no one has refuted my thirsty man anology... I rather suspect, because you can't. Cool

Thumbs Up

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, this is a bastard hard one.

Youre saying that Dying > Drink Water > Survive > BYPRODUCT: Pleasure

Whereas I really cant help being inclined to believe that

Dying > Drink Water > Survive > CAUSE: Pleasure - as hetz says, in a significant and non-obvious way, but its still there.

To be honest, what the fuck stops pleasure being the root cause AND the by-product?

What if the by-product is needed to produce the cause?

Who says we work in one direction? Hmm?

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

fawbish wrote:
Right, this is a bastard hard one.

Youre saying that Dying > Drink Water > Survive > BYPRODUCT: Pleasure

I'd say, dying of thirst > urge to survive > search for water.

If you find it, a by product is pleasure in finally being able to drink. But the urge to surive drove you to it so was there-for your motivation.

If under the circumstance the chap found a glass of warm yak's piss, would he not drink it cause it wouldn't be pleasureable?

fawbish wrote:
What if the by-product is needed to produce the cause?

I think in some cases it probably is, adrenaline junkies risking there lives for the pleasure of possibly dying.

I think though, instinctively, (wo)man's main reason for being is to survive, everything else is incidental. Even when we don't survive, we've made up a world of make believe so that we can somehow be alive after death...

Religion makes alot of people feel better, but its there because we can't stand the thought of being dead and not surviving in some shape or form.

Thumbs Up

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then, whats the why behind surviving?

I know, it can vary a hundred thousand times over for the individual, but if you look at the "why" behind survival, I reckon you'll find some form of pleasure 99% of the time.

Ergo: Im dying of thirst, but theres a bottle of water here that will enable me to survive.

But wait. Why do I want to survive?

Well, I havent had kids yet. So I cannot carry on my species.

So you want to have kids to carry on your species. Why?

It is ingrained in my genetic system to reproduce.

Ok. So what will you feel if you survive, and can accomplish this goal?

Well. I'll feel good I suppose. BANG. Pleasure. AND I took the long way around, taking into account parts where you could just say "thats it" when really...you cant just say "thats it" because we wouldnt be having this discussion otherwise.

*shrugs* < I like shrugging. I do it too much though.

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think survival is the most basic of instincts, it needs no 'why' or 'what for.'

Asking what's the 'why' behind surviving is like asking why are we here at all.

If someone was pushing you towards the edge of a building and you knew that with minimal opposite force you could stop yourself from being pushed off, do you: a) Let yourself be pushed off or b) Stop it.

I'll assume you'd do B, but why? Avoidance of pain? Thrill of nearly dying? An affirmation of life?

Ask yourself the same question but assume your being attacked by someone of equal power, so no gaurantees you'll be able to stop it from happening. You do B again, but are the why's still the same?

Mmm... I've got myself shrugging now... Confused

Thumbs Up

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:
I think survival is the most basic of instincts, it needs no 'why' or 'what for.'

Asking what's the 'why' behind surviving is like asking why are we here at all.

Isnt that the question this thread is about? And we're all curious about it arent we?

Why are we here?

Pleasure? Wink

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's about pleasure, it's just genetically hardwired into us to reproduce. Like the way baby turtles immediately leg it to the ocean as soon as they hatch. It's in our dna to want to carry on the species....I think pleasure is more of a by product than the why.

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do you think reproducing is just another function of the basic urge to survive?

I ask because I don't feel the need to reproduce on any level that I can identify. Perhaps its more programmed if you are female. Confused

Thumbs Up

fawbish wrote:
Isnt that the question this thread is about? And we're all curious about it arent we?

Why are we here?

Pleasure? Wink

Heh! You're not sneaking that in. Laughing

We are here because of an entirely random set of circumstances. Why are we here? There is no why, we just are, you make you're own why.

I suppose you could say, we are here now because of our inbuilt survival instinct. If we didn't have that, we'd have been eaten by tigers something...

I think...

Thumbs Up

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:
Perhaps its more programmed if you are female. Confused

That's why they get "broody" when they get to a certain age. Less so now due to careers and what not.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:
Okay then, whats the why behind surviving?

I know, it can vary a hundred thousand times over for the individual, but if you look at the "why" behind survival, I reckon you'll find some form of pleasure 99% of the time.

Ergo: Im dying of thirst, but theres a bottle of water here that will enable me to survive.

But wait. Why do I want to survive?

Well, I havent had kids yet. So I cannot carry on my species.

So you want to have kids to carry on your species. Why?

It is ingrained in my genetic system to reproduce.

Ok. So what will you feel if you survive, and can accomplish this goal?

Well. I'll feel good I suppose. BANG. Pleasure. AND I took the long way around, taking into account parts where you could just say "thats it" when really...you cant just say "thats it" because we wouldnt be having this discussion otherwise.

*shrugs* < I like shrugging. I do it too much though.

You're the man. Thumbs Up

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution has made pleasure the motivation to survive because it is the most effective method. Think about it. The best possible reward for doing something that gives the best possible chance of survival is pleasure.

As sapient beings we have subverted it to our own ends. The subversion of it has given it an abstract nature in many cases but it's still the same animal.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12