Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Don't call me white.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Topic moved: from Random Banter to Politics & Current Affairs by G (5 May 2008 - 23:42)
View previous topic : View next topic  
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your whole attitude of 'them and us' and the idea of being 'out numbered' makes you sound like a little racist.

The life experience thing tells us people are pretty much the same where ever you go. Except Reading of course Wink

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:06 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Your whole attitude of 'them and us' and the idea of being 'out numbered' makes you sound like a little racist.

The life experience thing tells us people are pretty much the same where ever you go. Except Reading of course Wink

Oh yes I agree wholeheartedly! Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell this topic contains a load of bullshit.

For those people who say that they hate black / asian / whatever people, did you know there are a fair few people on this forum that are from those backgrounds and you wouldn't have a clue. It doesn't matter as we are interested in the same things and enjoy talking to each other. Their skin colour doesn't even come into it.

However,
Sickpup, there are parts of the country that have more 'ethnic minorities' than the 'locals'. This is just fact. Parts of Bradford (example near me) are like this. To deny it is to deny basic facts.

The problem has nothing to do with skin colour or racial background. It has to do with culture. Just like if someone comes on here and speaks in a different way that no one likes ("Dis iz shiz") then we all complain about it and tell them to fit into the existing community and speak the way the majority do.

What is the difference between a black person moving into Birmingham and going around saying "Dis is shiz"? Is it now ok and part of multiculturalism? What is the difference between saying it in normal life and saying it on a forum?

The bottom line is that people from different cultures are going to have different ways of going about life which other cultures may not agree with or find very irritating and until everyone becomes homogenised into some sort of mono-culture then this will happen.

P.S. Saying "I thought everyone still burnt crosses in Somerset" is on a par with saying "I thought everyone still blew themselves up in Pakistan" - It is judging someone simply from where they live, which is essentially a form of racism.

Oh and by the way, I live in Birmingham in a house with my best mate who happens to be Sri Lankan and my ex-girlfriend was Indian.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay HTFC wrote:

However,
Sickpup, there are parts of the country that have more 'ethnic minorities' than the 'locals'. This is just fact. Parts of Bradford (example near me) are like this. To deny it is to deny basic facts.

I agree but to say people in London or Birmingham are out numbered rather then a few small areas within those cities is rubbish.

Shaane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have problems with any race of people.. Only people i have problems with are people who don't want to work for anything and expect the world to bow at there feet.

I hate it when people have problems with others because of there race/culture/background etc.
EMRA Roadstock #92 - Paperwork Permitted.
Previous: 1992 DT125R
Current: ~ 2005 ZX6R C1H
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 10:11 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

People from Somerset are hugely racist in nature. Seriously when I go back home all I hear about is stuff like "Oh noooess there are 30 new polish workers in the factory down the road, they are taking all of our jobs". No they fucking aren't there are loads of fat lazy cider drinkers who are happy claiming the dole all day long.

Seriously, some of the comments I hear back home would have them killed if they lived anywhere within an earshot of another race.

However this is only down to the fact that immigrants are quite a new thing for the area, it's only over the past 5 years that a lot of rural towns have become "swamped" (that's what they call it) with portuguese and Polish workers and for a county that generally is full of white locals is obviously going to take time to adjust, just like all of the other areas in the country had to do 40 or so years before when the first wave of mass immigration occured.

I remember when I went to the park with a black mate to play football who is completely English and the shit he was getting was unbearable, there is no tolerance for other races in some pockets of the country and it doesn't surprise me that Tutton has that warped attitude to other races.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

I agree but to say people in London or Birmingham are out numbered rather then a few small areas within those cities is rubbish.

Indeed, it is rare for an area to have more ethnic minorities than 'locals' (what is the correct word?!).
The first example I can think of is Leicester where it is expected to go to 50% ethnic minorities by 2012.

I have talked to my mates about all this and they say that 'the browns are taking over' jokingly. (This is when it is me in a room with 8 or so Sri Lankans)
With immigration and everything else, you notice the 'different' ones much more than everyone else.
For example, in this forum people saying "This forum is full of idiots. 50% of the posters are dumb kids" when in fact there are a few people that may be annoying, but they make up a tiny percentage or the overall posting membership - It's just that they stand out from the crowd more and appear to be greater in number than what they are.

Is there anything wrong with thinking that the place you have grown up in is changing so much that it 'feels' like a totally different place? If not, then why do people complain about the Americanisation of our culture? Why do people complain about our bland and identi-kit town centres full of the same shop fronts? Surely these are just changes in our environments, just the same as a changing population is?
It's just that some complaints are seemingly more acceptable than others.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:44 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Re: Don't call me white. Reply with quote

mr_fisty wrote:
...every race colour and creed under the sun on the check sheet but not me.

White, english.

Closest I could find was White European!...

Just come across this thread so sorry if my comments already covered (I did skip read the posts).

Choice is an admin response so to make the form shorted, otherwise you'd have to include White - Polish, Non-white Polish, White Serbian, White Lithuanian, Non-White Non Christian Serbian, etc, etc, etc.

FWIW there's usually a choice of Other, a good catch all. You could enter your choice in that, although I guess the downside in this stereotypical society we have of labelling people is someone, somewhere at sometime is bound to think you have BNP sympathies.

I think my family tree goes back far enough and I have been known to put Scandanavian extraction on some forms or other. Even though I guess that was way back in the 9th or 10th century, I'm not really telling a lie.

Just my thoughts Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 12:11 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What EVERYONE seems to be missing is that you don't actually NEED to declare your ethnicity.

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, a heated debate.

The racism card is over-played, its not so much an issue of whether a certain word is not fit for use, more a case of over sensitivity with those listening. Ironically, the people who tend take the most offence are not even in the ethnic group being maligned.

We're all to busy tiptoeing around worrying about what we can and cannot say, why bother? Is it not enough to say your going to the shop, does the nationality of those running it have to be explained?

Racism is an issue only when realisable physical damage or monetary loss is incurred, if someone is assaulted only for being from where-ever then yes, throw the book at the perpetrators.

We really need to have a look at how society deals with 'offence,' we seem all to be so coddled these days by the nanny-PC-state that the smallest mithering about where a person comes from becomes an issue of massive and sometimes violent debate.

Why do we even care and why do we give those that do have hardline racist views the attention they so obviously crave but really don't deserve, is it because we're now taught to be so overly sensitive that we wail uncontrollably when some low-foreheaded arse utters something everyone knows to be utter shite (and isn't even aimed out our enthnic group) when we should just pat them on the head and say "there there, off home now with you..."

Going back to the OP (in a vain attempt to stay on topic lest someone be offended Wink ) Why should any of the boxes need to be ticked, is it not best to decide on skills, experience and suitability for the job? Do you really care if you buy your couscous or marloboro lights from an Indian or a Lithuanian?

If the government want to ban something worthy, they should ban box ticking and pidgeon-holing because that in itself is divisive.

Possibly the longest post I've ever made...

Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:58 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozzypop1 wrote:
What EVERYONE seems to be missing is that you don't actually NEED to declare your ethnicity.

I dont think anyone wanted to leave it blank.

The guy who started the thread, simply said he wanted to pick one that he thought applied to him.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 03:07 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

He just said outnumbered he didnt say whether in a large or small area.

I am outnumbered in my street, but I prefer it that way, as poor asian people are decent folk, while the white people who live in a neighbouring street are truly chav scum.

Very noisy, squabbling and fighting amongst themselves, petty vandalism, attempts at theft etc

In my area, my racism amounts to suspicion of anyone with a white face. I know this isnt fair on the decent white folk in my area, but they seem to be a quiet minority, so they dont get noticed much.

A pole has now been installed for a cctv camera by the police, and we are now getting patrols from the police community support officers.

I reckon its families that got chucked off council estates for being troublesome.

If I move to another area with cheap affordable housing, I will be looking for an all asian area, with none of those nasty white people and their anti-social ways.

pigmo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:31 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I move to another area with cheap affordable housing, I will be looking for an all asian area, with none of those nasty white people and their anti-social ways.
Colin1

I hear it's pretty cheap in Pakistan Rolling Eyes although you might find their stonings a little antisocial Rolling Eyes

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 11:53 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

I dont think anyone wanted to leave it blank.

The guy who started the thread, simply said he wanted to pick one that he thought applied to him.

Is that how you perceived it?
Thinking I would have thought if that was the case. White, European would have sufficed.

mr_fisty wrote:

I've just filled in a job application form and it asked for my ethnic background. It had absolutely every race colour and creed under the sun on the check sheet but not me.

White, english.

Closest I could find was White European!

Not even British and white was on the list. Are we being phased out or something?

I dont consider myself european, im English ( British at a push ) tis getting beyond a joke.

How long has it been that the Scottish, Irish and Welsh have had to tick the 'British' box? Even when there has been 'English' listed. Then you have the 'black Irish' and 'Black Welsh' Not Technically 'black' but Olive skinned with Dark hair and eyes. Where would these fit?
Maybe they should start using a colour chart, where you tick the box that is the closest shade? And on another page, a world map where you could add 'markers' to the areas you know you have ancestors from? It wouldn't work would it?
Fact of the matter is that we are all such 'Mongrels' that a tick box doesn't really encompass who we are and where we came from.

Lozzypop1: Someone who has traced her family tree back to 1809 and is looking for the 'Somerset, Catholic, Irish Gypsy' box. Wink

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 08 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like foreign people in one way, because I can't understand what they say. Got no problem with them stealing jobs/beating people up/etc etc as alleged because the scum of this country do that just as much.

By foreign I mean anyone who doesn't speak what I'd call normally, which is what we speak down here in kentish lands, received pronounciation with a bit of rough talk. I go to london quite a lot, and I still find it occasionally hard to talk to proper londoners, as they seem to have a language of their own, and then additional dialect on top of that.

Accent and mannerisms of places is hard enough for me to understand from people of england, (scotland isn't soo bad cause mother is scottish) welsh, pah, Irish nah.. Throw in an accent coming from another language altogether and I'm fecked Very Happy

The only time it's been a real problem was trying to sell my bike to a polish fella after he won it on ebay, I just had to say to him, sorry mate I can't understand you over the phone, I'll email you all the stuff.

Pyro
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

Didge
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:16 - 08 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
sickpup wrote:

He just said outnumbered he didnt say whether in a large or small area.

I am outnumbered in my street, but I prefer it that way, as poor asian people are decent folk, while the white people who live in a neighbouring street are truly chav scum.

Very noisy, squabbling and fighting amongst themselves, petty vandalism, attempts at theft etc

In my area, my racism amounts to suspicion of anyone with a white face. I know this isnt fair on the decent white folk in my area, but they seem to be a quiet minority, so they dont get noticed much.

A pole has now been installed for a cctv camera by the police, and we are now getting patrols from the police community support officers.

I reckon its families that got chucked off council estates for being troublesome.

Because there are no antisocial Asians about, are there. Only white people can be racist and/or antisocial.
Do you not read the news? Or is this a classic case of yet another poor brainwashed soul, who has been taught to hate his own race?
I've seen too many news reports of white victims who have been 'enriched' by the blameless souls of Asian or black backgrounds.

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 08 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
A pole has now been installed ... by the police

Ooh they'll have all our jobs in the end they will, mark my words... Whistle

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 09 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well work this ut for equality.

I filled out an application for sainsbury's a while ago as a baker, the bit where you had to tick the boxes for origin, there was a box marked " Irish Traveller" .

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 09 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_guvnor_1_uk wrote:
" Irish Traveller" .

Is that the one you ticked? Wink

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 09 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeR wrote:
the_guvnor_1_uk wrote:
" Irish Traveller" .

Is that the one you ticked? Wink

I actually used to live in a caravan for a while.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 10 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, i hate having to fill out forms and declaring "other" and then filling in south east asian. There seems to be no option for that, since "asian" is often classified as being indian/sri lankan/pakistani or bangladeshi. Very seldom do i see the option for far eastern/oriental - it's either chinese or asian other Rolling Eyes. I'm gonna put from now onwards " other - YELLOW!" since it's what i'm most comfortable putting down, as a piss take, but if ethnicity is going to be defined by colour, it's probably the most accurate description.

Also to dispel this myth of racism etc, i work in scotland of all places who I thought resented people who came south of the border, let alone overseas, and in my work place, i'm probably THE only foreign person as in non-white there, but i don't get any hint of racism - usually racial based banter, but it's all good. I'm actually associated as a cockney geezer at work which is probably more appropriate and what i'm normally associated with (only applies if people hear my voice before seeing me). I kinda feel cool that i'm the only oriental probably within 10 miles of the power station. Anyway, I digress.

I guess just to make life simpler and dispel any prejudice and instigate discrimination, they should leave a blank space and put it to yourself to describe your ethnicity as you see fit. It's for a job, so i feel that it's much better to see the person as a whole before trying to assume their identity and create presumptions about the individual. English won't get discriminated, neither would blacks, nor would the poles, nor would middle easterns or the "asians" or the orientals. You wouldn't feel the need to associate yourself with a band that you wouldn't feel fit to describe yourself as.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Didge
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:45 - 10 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing is a complete farce anyway, just to pander to the cultural Marxism (PC) brigade, so that companies can show how 'diverse' they are.
Jobs should go to the best applicant for said job, not to someone purely on ethnic grounds just to make up token numbers, so that the feeble minded, brain washed managers of these spineless companies can pat each other on the backs.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to admit though that some breeds of humans are uglier than others.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

And some are better looking than others.

Look at Yun Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4