BCF: Bike Chat Forums

listening to music while riding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

27yo kid
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:17 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I agree with mchaggis on this one, it does become subconcious after a while, hence people have no problem in listening to music.
All I would say is do be too boy racer-ish (theres no point in having it on full volume, you'll only make yourself deaf!)

Mind you, I'm still changing into too low a gear when slowing down as I dont have a gear indicator on my bike!

Weed
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:41 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried riding with music for the first time today..I have to say personally I found it made me ride easier, I found it easier to go round corners because I was relaxed, and found myself checking my mirrors more becuase i was aware i could only hear out of one ear!

However, in tricky situations and at junctions, i was concentrating so much i ignored it!

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:24 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would the plod be able to prove beyond "all reasonable doubt" (ie-what jury's need to convict you) that it was music that caused your crash in the first place?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

THCi wrote:
How would the plod be able to prove beyond "all reasonable doubt" (ie-what jury's need to convict you) that it was music that caused your crash in the first place?

Hrm, is driving without due care and attention a criminal offence or a civil one? I was about to say that for civil cases they only need "the balance of probability". Meaning they might not find it difficult to convince a magistrate. Juries are only for criminal cases, aren't they?

But anyway, whether they could prove it or not, if there was disputed liability, listening to music at the same time would surely increase your portion of blame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done it a few times. When you are listening the dance music up full blast you tend to go alot quicker, and I was taking corners and roundabouts a lot quicker than I knew I could. Laughing

mbknitrof1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

JodieWodie wrote:
I do listen to my ipod/headphones occasionally...mainly on a Sunday going along lanes, quiet roads..etc...
I LOVE listening my Linkin Park and Lost Prophets Laughing
I don't have it TOO loud though.....I like to hear some of the outside world too...
It is SUCH therapy...on my bike...just me....

I do not, however, play my music in rush hour traffic, on busy days, etc..where I need to concentrate more.

It's like nkd says...try it, see how you get on...everyone has their own concentration level with stuff like this.

JO x

i thought i was the only person that liked ridin on a sunday after noon im always out in the country, its grate fun o ye i always got me cd player on never been stoped but its not a problem, as a honda goldwings had a cd player and intercoms.

kev

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

will this post ever end.......??
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

27yo kid
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:21 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: the reason! Reply with quote

THCi wrote:

hence the reason you dont say it was distracting you!!!

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:59 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, if the copper that pulled you over didnt see you turn it off.. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Reano
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:06 - 08 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

recently after starting my new job (factory work Sad, dull as hell, and a 30 min ride away.) i'd listen to my music on the trip, ive noticed that if i play the band i listen to constantly (nirvana) i get drowsy and have the thirst for booze.......

so now i listen to red hot chili peppers instead Very Happy.

i do think the type of music playing definatly has an effect on how you ride, but for me its never effected my concentration, just my style of riding.

Team_Virago
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 04:38 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well over here in Aus i don't think it's illeagal but a test was run on music and drivers and is said that

the song to cause people to drive faster and get road rage easier was people who liten to the prodigys "fire starter"

so i'd say if you are going to ride make sure it aint that you listen to!

i'm going to give listening to music a try, and see how i go.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3