Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leasehold questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:32 - 10 Nov 2006    Post subject: Leasehold questions Reply with quote

Is anyone able to explain about how collective enfranchisement works?

The property I'm looking at has about 60 years left on the leasehold. That doesn't bother me apart from in the way selling it would be difficult/impossible with less than 60 years if selling to someone with a morgage.

There is an offer from the freehold owner to extend the lease to 99yrs, but that would mean the ground rent would be 25 times more each year than it is if I didn't renew it.

After living there for two years, I'd be able to renew the leasehold with collective enfranchisement which I know very little about, other than what I've read so far and be told in legal jargon so far. Anyone able to explain it in laymans terms? How is the price for renewing it reached, I understand there are valuations done of the property and solicitors involved (bills for all of which go to the leaseholder Rolling Eyes ) but as it's regulated and controlled, how can I get an idea of how much renewing it would cost in 2/5/10 years time?

Also, am I right in saying that the terms of the lease stay the same if renewed with collective enfranchisement, so they wouldn't be able to decide to charge 25 times more for the ground rent?

Any help greatly appreciated. Smile

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 12:45 - 11 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

in short, wouldnt touch it with a barge-pole if i didnt need to

surely you have the flexibility to avoid anything with a leasehold on it?

why would you want to get involved in all those extra costs, ground rent, service charges, etc. bills can pop up from nowhere depending on what works need doing at various times
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 11 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: Leasehold questions Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The property I'm looking at has about 60 years left on the leasehold. That doesn't bother me apart from in the way selling it would be difficult/impossible with less than 60 years if selling to someone with a morgage.

Mate of mine had problems buying a place that only had 76 years left, he was told 81 year minimum for a mortgage by his bank.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:42 - 11 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
surely you have the flexibility to avoid anything with a leasehold on it?

why would you want to get involved in all those extra costs, ground rent, service charges, etc. bills can pop up from nowhere depending on what works need doing at various times

Its being sold at auction "requiring modernisation", normal market value of it in good upkeep and with a long lease should be about twice what the auction guide price is so I'd be intending on moving somewhere else within 2-5 years hopefully making a nice profit on it.

Ground rent is £10 per year which I can live with. But yeah, leasehold is a bit of a headache. Neutral

81 years minimum for a mortgage... would be wanting to sell it on with 99 year lease or very close, am trying to work out how this "collective enfranchisement" thing works to see how to go about it.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 11 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any option to buy the lease?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:43 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well, to renew it. It's offered with the option of renewing the lease back up to 99yrs but doing that would mean the ground was was 25 times what it is without renewing it.

Would also be able to renew it using collective enfranchisement which I understand to be regulated, rather than them just thinking of a number and seeing if the buyer will pay it which is what I've been told the offer to renew when purchasing is. Trying to find out about collective enfranchisement and exactly how the price would be reached but there doesn't seem to be info online about it other than in legal jargon which isn't any use. Confused

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this site:

https://www.lease-advice.org/

https://www.lease-advice.org/cegsframe.htm
https://www.lease-advice.org/cevaframe.htm

Resurrection
Ballast Boy

PostPosted: 09:47 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i have understood this correctly and i think i have then why dont you do what your gonna do i.e get it for the knockdown price with the ground rent at £10 do it up/live it in over a couple of years and see how the market is doing and then either sell it on as is fully explaining or just before you sell it renew it back to 99 years?

Res
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1