Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nsr Longrange touring tested

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 17:03 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Nsr Longrange touring tested Reply with quote

Over the last 4 days ive taken the nsr on 2, 128mile runs my findings surprised the hell out of me.

My bike is fully derestricted with standard can 2001 model, my side fairings are removed.

In 6th gear the nsr can happily cruise at 90mph until the tanks empty reaching 95-100 depending on elevation of the road and my mood Smile, even with the fairings removed she is quite stable when switching lanes.

As for comfort depends on your height, i am a touch under 6ft and all i got was a slight back ache from my fully loaded back pack and arse ache that cleared withing 10 seconds of getting off the bike. note my backpack is quite large and not aerodynamic so higher speeds might be gained without backpacks.

The tanks capcaity results in refueling being abit of a weakness, with 60miles being covered in 40 mins taking 1/2 the tank.....

matt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RFT
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:21 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's basically what I found a couple of weeks ago (though my bike's restricted and therefore the actual speeds are slower).

What surpised me most was the comfort of it- I did about 250 miles in a day and felt no more knackered when i stopped than if I'd done it in the car...

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 17:30 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

derestrict as soon as you can, its like riding a totaly diffrent bike
much smoother especily after carb as well

0-60 time is insane in comparison to restricted

matt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mole
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:25 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I bought Milo's 2001 NSR in February as Matt knows (Hi Matt by the way) and it's fully derestricted, took my test on it last week and passed, so have been looking around for something bigger. Waste of time, cos for the comfort and economy and just sheer good fun to ride, the NSR125 is grate value. All the 400's around are mainly imports, and are between 5 and 10 years old, condition is crap, they were dificult to service when new, (God knows what service are spares are like now) and the asking price is stupid !!

Unless you find the money to buy a late bike in mint condition, or the Japs lose this obsesion with big girl's blouse custom bikes, and start to produce mid range sports bikes again, it hardly seems worth changing.

Enjoy your NSR it's grate value for money

Mole
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

oi! i beat you with the range test yonks ago! 200 miles to huddersfield with a 70litle backpack, not the puny lil 30 litre one you've got!
in my finding it's better to have a racy stlyed bike if you've got a heavy pack on your shoulders. that way the weight isn't pulling you back because it's balanced better Smile

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 18:32 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mole on the 400 thing. I too am looking for a bigger bike, but remain unimpressed on whats on offer in the 400's for the money that i have to spend.

Apart from the £9 bottle of oil every 300miles, i would be almost tempted to stick with the NSR until i finish uni next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PostPosted: 18:39 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did over 300miles the over weekend with no problems. the only ache I had was sore 'bollocks' on one of the day because one of my mate had a good idea of takeing short cut home. which turn out to be the bumpest road I had ever been on. on this this road was a hump back bridge which i hit at about 70mph from a down hill. i went up and came down on the tank. but a part form that, it has been super. it was one of the main resons for geting one was that it was so good when it sat on one last year. I have nearly done 6,000 miles on it and it not even a year old.
You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch! a bottle every 300 miles? my old bike (brought from new and fully serviced) did about 500 on a bottle with normal riding or about 400 on the motorway high-reving.
ok, show off time again! my GPz550 costs me 5p a mile to run or 7p around town. compare that with the NSR's 7-9p per mile, then add to that the cost of oil!
heh heh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:47 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: saddo Reply with quote

This saddo has actually worked out how much it costs per mile.....

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 18:49 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinder important to us students mate Smile for a guy with a bike that doesnt run in neutral with the side stand down thats a little harsh

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not hard mate. but some cars run more economically than the NSR!
look at the pump next time you re-fuel, work it out from there. if you wanna know something then you work it out, well i do anyway!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:52 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

Hehe, sorry, I just don't like the sun of a gun. If I ever see him.....well....you don't wanna know.

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloody hell, i thought bikers were meant to be nice people. well i live near croydon if you wanna know :)

Mole
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:59 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam

You were on target with the 2T consumption, only topped it up once since I'v ad it, done about 700 miles since exiting dobles! By the way ow U doing mate ?

Mole

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 19:00 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now now boys!
Play nicely!!

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeha, I'm all good mate. Just got back from dorset as you've probably read. had a good few days of eating badly, riding around and lazy mornings.
Bike's got a strange problem at prolonged high speed where it seems liek the throttle's jumpy. could be carb problem. next time i fill i'll get some good fuel in there and some redex to hopefully get the carbs clear. if not then they'll soon be a thread by me.
any luck with the new bike hunt? I'll pop into dobles tomorrow to have a looky for ya

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 19:06 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm croydon, the armpit of london, you might have read in the daily mail about a month ago 12 year old girl knifed for her mobile phone at 5pm in the town centre......

i feel scared out at night in full body armor!

matt

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 19:16 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: hmmmm Reply with quote

any way back to the topic subject.......

i do around 200miles every sunday (if its sunday) and at the end of the day i have trouble standing so i dont think the nsr is good on distances its fairly comfy but at around 90mph it vidrates soooooo much that your numb from the waist down after 10 mins lol

Mole
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:54 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam

If you are ever about during the day gis a call, I work from home so can fit in my time as I please. I would like to C your bike, and have a general chat. Went up to Bat Motorcycles today to ave a browse, very nice people but the bikes are very expensive, and look tatty, they look like bikes that have been left out in the rain!

If your spending £3,000-£3,500 I would at least expect the bike to look clean! Some of the bikes in this price range are as old as "F" Reg.

Trouble is I've been spoilt by the condition of the NSR

Mole

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try to keep my old NSR in good nick.
but yeah, I'm off tomorrow so i'll prob give you a ring in the morning sometime. i've only got your mobile number ending 66, hope you haven't changed it! have your tried boxhill motorcycles? they do more racy styled 400's than anything else but it's not too far if you're bored. I keep hearing lamba motorcycles mentioned but not prefectly sire where it is. I'll try to find it one day!

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 20:33 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but have you seen their prices. Boxhill may have loads of sporty 400s but I would never be able to afford a bike from there!!

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

me neither, that's why i went for a 13year old bike that was half the price, style and about another 10-15hp than the sport 400s. in the ned i've got a bike that could cane most (all?) 400s for half the price. it's 65hp, i think the 400's are about 45-55? yeah, i am heavy being a 4-cylinder beast but it means i can give it loads before the thing tries to wheelie

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 20:44 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about being able to beat all the 400s Razz
But the GPZ's are always at bargain prices, but in my opinion look a little dated. My VFR on the other hand still looks and performs like a modern day bike even though its 12 yrs old. And the gear driven cams whirr, along with the V four make a beautiful sound.

And I think it makes about 55 bhp (not certain), but the Kwak ZX4-R makes 60bhp.( again not 100%)

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i did like the VFR and i was gonna get one for about 3k but i couldn't get the credit :( in the end i traded my NSR for a GPz. It's more than a little dated but it does the job :)
also the good thing about having the larger inline4 is the fuel economy. larget engines (up to a an extent) generally use less fuel because of the increasesd torque.
another option was the VTR250, import. i loved the look and sound but it was about 2.5k it was 33hp so perfect for the UK laws but again, i couldn't afford it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:55 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

most newish 600 4s make 55-60hp... the GPz should have a better range of tourqe than the 400s but be a fair bit heavier.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2