Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Solution to the Afghan poppy wars?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 11:23 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Solution to the Afghan poppy wars? Reply with quote

I'm not the first to come up with this idea, but I've seen it suggested a few times now, and I'm stunned that it hasn't been seriously debated in Parliment.

First, read this story from yesterday in which a senior Police officer suggests providing prescription Heroin to addicts, in an effort to reduce the cost to society that they represent. Apart from shooting junkies (I'm not even too stressed about that, but it might run into a few stick HR problems) it seems to be the most elegant way of cutting burglary and shoplifting. The article suggests that your average junkie steals £45,000 worth of stuff per year to fund their habit, plus whatever police/court/hospital resources they waste.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/23/ndrugs223.xml

But, you ask, where are we to find the money to buy the heroin to provide this service?

How about Afghanistan? Our troops are becoming deeper embroiled in a conflict that is fueled by drugs money, and it is only a matter of time before they are forced to move against the poppy growers, who are just normal Afghans trying to make a living out of the stupid white people back home.

It's estimated that it would cost £500 million to buy all of the poppy crop each year in Afghanistan, which provides almost all the heroin for the UK. Why not pay a few farmers in government controlled areas to grow the crop, while subsidising the rest not to, just as in the EU. That way, if we find unauthorised poppy crops, we can eradicate them with a clear conscience, knowing that we have already paid for it.

We get control of the heroin coming into the country, more control over addict-crime, and remove a massive group of potential Taliban supports by flooding them with English money, just as in the Empire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would seems common sense (from an economical and crime perspective) but I feel it is short-sighted socially and psychologically.

There has been no mention of who will be prescribed diamorphine or what will happen to them (in terms of getting off the drug completely) when they are on the substitute.

The vast majority of heroin addicts are addicts for a reason i.e. to escape and numb the pain of their lives/past. I've yet to meet a heroin addict who enjoys their lifestyle.

If such a system is introduced and not managed well it may simply acts as an advert for those with low incomes/deprived backgrounds etc. to become heroin addicts, after knocking over a few grannies they'll be given the free stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:47 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be against the idea. However I am now for the idea and I think it would make hell of a change to society today.

Turf wars would go down somewhat as it is usually forced by drugs. However I do only see one problem. What happens when it is "legal"? How do people go about weaning people off the drug? Confused
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if it's labelled "Fair Trade" though...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:20 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

byke95 wrote:
If such a system is introduced and not managed well it may simply acts as an advert for those with low incomes/deprived backgrounds etc. to become heroin addicts, after knocking over a few grannies they'll be given the free stuff.

Holland has a similar system where its given on prescription to addicts. In the UK the average age of heroin addicts is dropping whilst in Holland the average age of addicts is going up. That shows quite nicely which system works and which is a complete failure.

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Holland has a similar system where its given on prescription to addicts.

NNOOOOOOO It's bad enough trying to get an appointment at the doctors now!!!

Just put large "smack bins" in police stations and the like and let them help themselves.

All of it.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 14:45 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the people against prescribing heoin, due to ill placed social and moral reasons.

We currently prescribe heroin addicts with methadone, which, in in the eyes of doctors and junkies alike is a harder drug to come off of than heroin.

We already prescribe opiates as a substitute and have the infrastructure in place to supply junkies. It seems logical to give them a safer replacement than methadone.

Further more, I seem to recall stinkwheel pointing out there is actually a morphine shortage in this country. The Afghan poppy could be used to fix this.

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good idea in theory but in practice I don't think it would work. If the UK or EU were to buy all of the poppies in Afghanistan, it would result in the illegal supply being grown elsewhere, like Chechenya. The criminals who 'push' heroin will source their supply from these places as well as Thailand or Laos where it's still also grown.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:35 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Another point. At £500m or so it would be fairly easy for the middle men to outbid the official UK buyers.

Although personally I am generally for legalising drugs.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1