Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorbike Mechanics Salary - Not so good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 16 Nov 2006    Post subject: Motorbike Mechanics Salary - Not so good? Reply with quote

I was reading 'the grim reaper's' bio yesterday and the following bit stuck out
Quote:
I'm a trained bike mechanic but the crap wages mean that I am staying in my job as an electronic engineer.
But.. why are the wages crap? I've just been looking at some motorbike mechanic jobs on the web and the salary normally starts around £17k and reaches 25k (that was in London, so may differ else where) that seems pretty reasonable in my opinion. Also for example the local bike mechanic seems to do quite nicely for himself, nice brand new Audi parked outside, owns numerous off-road bikes, generally a friendly/reliable person ( he charges £45 per hour for labour, don't know if thats considered high...well thats how much he was charging last time I went it.)

But on the other hand I've spoke to a few people who are very competent in the working of bikes and they said they prefer to work on bikes as a hobby rather than a job because of the workload and crap pay Confused

Anybody else know why bike mechanics are paid so low? Or why the opinion differs so greatly in regards to their salary?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 17 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

£25k per annum in central London? Poor bastard must live in a complete sh*t hole or live in Yorkshire and commute!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:13 - 17 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: Motorbike Mechanics Salary - Not so good? Reply with quote

£45 may be what someone charges (seems a bit high to me, even for a shop) - however in most cases, most of that will go straight to the shop with the spanner-man only getting a small cut.

£17-£25k may not seem too bad, but when you've got rent to pay or possibly even a family to feed in the future we're not talking so comfortable.

Engineers in other fields can get lots more if they put the effort in to progress their knowledge and career.

EllioTT_GiXXeR
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 01:01 - 17 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here its around £800 per week

befdelta7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:05 - 17 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
£45 may be what someone charges (seems a bit high to me, even for a shop)

45quid is the going labour rate for motorcycle garages around merton.

scoota bk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:48 - 17 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

£25 p/h is the shop price round here. I know a VERY good bike mechanic, been working on bikes for like 50 years but he had to close his shop a few years ago. During the summer he was mobbed with work, but then in winter it became completely dead, so it was unsustainable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:15 - 17 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup during the winter many bike shops let their mechanics go,

and just cus a shop charges 25-45/h doesn't mean the mechanic gets that , its just the overheads divided by the number of man hours to get this cost.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 17 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make more money working as a courier than I ever did working on bikes. Less hassle and less stress as well.

Leggy_Girl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 17 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boyfriend is on naff wages, but that's because he's not finished his apprenticeship yet. He has just under 2 years left i believe? He's hoping he'll get up to £18k ish to start with, once he's fully qualified, because he's no where near that at the moment.

Poor thing works so hard and gets not a lot in return, but at least he's working towards something Smile

The shops may charge £45 an hour or more, but if the mechanic is working for someone else they don't decide how much of that hours work pay comes their way. It more often than not lines the rich shop owners pockets Sad

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 02:48 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leggy_Girl wrote:
The shops may charge £45 an hour or more, but if the mechanic is working for someone else they don't decide how much of that hours work pay comes their way. It more often than not lines the rich shop owners pockets Sad

The going rate here is 45-50% for the mech & most shops charge at least $75/hr

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 03:17 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:

The going rate here is 45-50% for the mech & most shops charge at least $75/hr

It's a much better system in the US.

Over here I know aprentices on day release from Merton who are getting £100 a week for working 5 days in a shop and 1 at college.

£9 an hour is about the going rate although a few places pay more but not many.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 05:58 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure beats the 10quid/week I was getting as a Jag apprentice back in the day....

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 19 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get about £300-400 a week for being an apprentice. I could of gone full time on level 2 but I decided to stick it out and do level 3. I don't really get treated as an apprentice at work mainly because the boss says im better than some of his full time mechanics. Will be on 23k a year next summer and get my own van, can't wait.

I feel sorry for mechanics who have to work in crappy dealerships working by shit set times. Luckly where I work is relaxed and they care more about the quality mainly because it's looking after their own bikes and not customers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1