Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Donnington 20th Nov (I fell off)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 20:46 - 20 Nov 2006    Post subject: Donnington 20th Nov (I fell off) Reply with quote

What not to do no your first track day

It rained overnight, so the track was wet when we first set out. The guys I went with were riding in Inters and Advanced, so went out first. They came back in saying it was really slippery.

The first session for novices is a no-overtaking session lead by an instrauctor just ot get used to the track. I had a couple of slides and wobbles on that session, but nothing too bad and came back in grinning like a loon.

By the second session out the track had started to dry a little. I remembered the advice given in the briefing, and went extra easy for the first few laps. I was building a bit of confidence and starting to feel the track flowing, so built up the pace a bit (well, quicker than I had been going anyway)

Coming out of craner heading towards old hairpin the back slid out, then gripped again, big tankslapper then
ground-sky-ground-sky

Huge thanks to everyone else there who helped me bodge enough repairs to get back out for the afternoon sessions Thumbs Up

So, anyone got SV650

Right footpeg
Right mirror (yes, I know I should have taken it off)
indicators
right bar end & grip?

(trashed the exhaust and brake lever as well, but sorted replacements already)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 01:44 - 21 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky mate hope it hasn't dampened (err) your spirits towards trackdays.

Definitely best to get straight back out there and not to let it get you down.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:50 - 21 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you get it fixed alright.

Last day I did was at Donington on the GP circuit, in the wet. Coppice and the Melbourne Loop were dodgy for traction but I was probably just riding like a girl... Shifty , although it doesn't help when you get chucked in the Fast group and then a Phase One Endurance team rider bins it on the first lap, in front of you! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 21 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Donny in the wet, real lack of grip, something to do with the planes flying over and dumping tiny amounts of fuel residue I'm told!

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 21 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky mate on the off.

It was obvious from the posts leading up to the track day that you were like a kid hyped up on candy the night before christmas, excited to say the least.

I was hoping that maybe I would have been able to have done the track day at then end of Nov at Brands, but as you have highlighted the weather is, and will be pants, making it not as pleasurable as it should be, but fun none the less. The fact that the bikes been sold has something to do with it too Laughing

Its a shame that you came off and scuffed the bike, not the best introduction to track days I'd imagine, hope it has nt put you off.

Hope you get it sorted soon Thumbs Up

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 21 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimbo wrote:
I hate Donny in the wet, real lack of grip, something to do with the planes flying over and dumping tiny amounts of fuel residue I'm told!

Not sure I buy that, the excuse has been around for ever and never been proven! Personally I didn't find it any less grippy than any other track in the wet.

Aidan
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear it mate.

Did the R&G's not help - by the looks of them I'd guess you'd taken them off? Confused

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 19:11 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aidan wrote:
Did the R&G's not help - by the looks of them I'd guess you'd taken them off? Confused

Nope, it broke off

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:28 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreshAL wrote:

Nope, it broke off

Hmmm.

One of the reasons I'm not a fan of R&Gs - a bit /too/ sacrifical in my opinion.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:46 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

al, you dont have to try to live up to your custom name

glad u are ok tho

would track day organisers object to a normally faired bike riding around without fairings on ?

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:52 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, unless there are sticky pokey jabby fairings mounts sticking out all over the place.

They probably wouldn't like the headlight sticking out in the fairing mount too. That's gonna hurt if someone hits it.

Taking the lowers off and leaving the nose cone on is fine though. Shaun did it at Cadwell.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:13 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if a crash bung breaks off, surely it is doing its job at absorbing energy that could otherwise damage a more important bit of the bike

if it just transmits the energy to the important bit, this might get broken

i like the whole sacrifical angle, although fairings are a bit too pricey and weak to be good at this

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:08 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
if a crash bung breaks off, surely it is doing its job at absorbing energy that could otherwise damage a more important bit of the bike

It makes sense if it works like a cumple zone in a car. Its designed to take the brunt of a spill that in turn will prevent hard shunting forces on the important stuff.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1