Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Roadside Fingerprinting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 17:43 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
perhaps that would be a country more suited

And that brings us right back full circle. No money, no move Thumbs Down Else I'd be sat on the golden coast right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
The reason house prices have shot up so outrageously is bloody obvious; there are at least a million new adults to house (immigrants). Suddenly the rental market is humming with state-funded lets and houses are being snapped up by landlords. And now they're getting the added bonus of native brits needing to rent too because they can't afford the inflated house prices.

Well done Labour, you've turned a nation of home owners into a nation of tenants.

Now you're just being silly. Immigration cerainly has an slight effect, but the current high price point is mostly to do with the fact that we've had 10+ years of economic growth, falling unemployment, low inflation and therefore low interest rates. People can afford to borrow more, and do, driving up the prices.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:04 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigie b wrote:

And that brings us right back full circle. No money, no move Thumbs Down Else I'd be sat on the golden coast right now.

I can't believe that if you really wanted to, you couldn't save up the money.

I believe the Motely Fool site a while ago had a couple that managed to clear their still rather hefty mortgage in under two years by very frugal spending and good accounting. Ok, we're talking a couple and still being left in other debts.

However, if you ignore many of the trappings of modern life, then it's quite possible to decently save money from most jobs.

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Fingerprints Reply with quote

The last time I was stopped on a bike was 20 years ago the last time I was stopped in car was about 18 years ago so what difference will the police taking fingerprints of people who they suspect are giving them false details be to most of the general public.

They will be using these devices on people who they suspect are giving false details after normal questions at the road side in the past they took the person down to the police station to find out the true identity of the person.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 22:45 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
The reason house prices have shot up so outrageously is bloody obvious; there are at least a million new adults to house (immigrants). Suddenly the rental market is humming with state-funded lets and houses are being snapped up by landlords. And now they're getting the added bonus of native brits needing to rent too because they can't afford the inflated house prices.

Well done Labour, you've turned a nation of home owners into a nation of tenants.

I agree 101% that mass immigration has affected the housing market - how can it not have done?! It isn't the only factor, but it is one that is constantly denied or ignored for political reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:56 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: Fingerprints Reply with quote

Steve_k wrote:
The last time I was stopped on a bike was 20 years ago the last time I was stopped in car was about 18 years ago

Not pulled for about a decade, but pulled up twice in the last year. Guess why? Yep, totally useless insurance database used by the police. Somehow stops me having any faith in other government databases.

All the best

Keith

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Siggi wrote:

I agree 101% that mass immigration has affected the housing market - how can it not have done?! It isn't the only factor, but it is one that is constantly denied or ignored for political reasons.

Of course, any population growth will have some effect on house prices....but here's some figures...

Population increase since 1971 = 7.7%
House prices increase since 1970ish ~ 400% (taking into account inflation)

https://www.whatprice.co.uk/graphics/real-house-prices.JPG
https://www.whatprice.co.uk/graphics/real-house-prices.JPG

The last 10 years has seen constant ecomomic growth, low inflation, and low interest rates.
The banks also haven't helped, slowly increasing the amount people can borrow compared to their wages. People mostly spend as much as they can afford.

The boom in prices has also fed itself, in the number of people who have been 'buying to let' - very often in the lower price houses, forcing prices up yet further.

I would advocate the banning of this practice, and all rentals should go back under local government control. Unchecked capitalism is the root cause, not immigration.
Put a stop to 'out of towners' buying second houses in sought after rural areas, again driving up prices for those who actually live there. If you want a second house, get planning permission, and build one, or buy in areas of deprivation (as if)

The population increase, whether by births, or immigration has had an effect certainly, but it is negligable.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 10:38 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:

Of course, any population growth will have some effect on house prices....but here's some figures...

Population increase since 1971 = 7.7%
House prices increase since 1970ish ~ 400% (taking into account inflation)

Two thoughts on the above:

I'm willing to bet the population increase doesn't include the immigrant community as part of the population.

I'm also pretty sure that the relationship between housing prices and demand is not linear, so your population figures are irrelevant. As long as there is a demand, vendors can effectively charge what they want - that's a simple matter of economics.

I have already accepted that immigration is not the only cause of price-inflation, but it is an oft-ignored factor.

Quote:

I would advocate the banning of this practice, and all rentals should go back under local government control. Unchecked capitalism is the root cause, not immigration.
Put a stop to 'out of towners' buying second houses in sought after rural areas, again driving up prices for those who actually live there. If you want a second house, get planning permission, and build one, or buy in areas of deprivation (as if)

I don't think more expensive government legislation banning things is a good idea. If they are going to make laws, they should be laws helping people do things, rather than stopping them.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 11:25 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the original topic. My work mate was out last night with one of his mates, who is a copper. After a good few drinks the copper begins to explain various ways you may be able to beat the breathalyser. He then goes onto brag about how often he drives into worked pissed inthe mornings, from the night before, before going out to breathalyse people.

Immediately assuming a copper is an outstanding gentleman with the moral high ground over you is ridiculous. The only power they have over you is that which the legal system provides them with.

Now the copper in question, in my eyes, earns himself the title of pig because why should this cunt be given an authority over me to take my fingerprints at roadside when he can't even conduct himself in the manner becoming an authoritive person. Why should someone, who's only merit over me is that he joined the police force be granted a power to stop me and take my fingers prints, which for all I know could be stored permanently, or at least abused at some point in the future.

The government has a track record of fucking IT things up and to be frank I don;t feel the police are capable enough to be considered responsible with such powers.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm willing to bet the population increase doesn't include the immigrant community as part of the population.

It includes legal immigration and of course emmigration. Of course it cannot include thiose here illegally, but then they are hardly gonna have much effect house prices.

As for banning things, I just wonder what else we do, when a mate of mine recently had to pay over the odds for a 2-bed terrace, partly because there were other buyers after the house, including a landlord who just wanted to rent it out

And when someone who is born, and grows up in some small town in Cumbria, or wherever, and cannot afford to buy a house near his/her family and friends because some people can afford to buy 2 or 3 houses and live in them for a few weeks a year. What do you think should be done?

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 11:35 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you think should be done?

How about this....instead of legislating more invasive laws that will largely affect the non criminal, hard working person in the UK the governmnet actually does something to help the aforementioned class so they can get an affordable home that isn't going put you under the strain of a ridiculous mortgage Thumbs Up

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
craigie b wrote:
On the original topic. My work mate was out last night with one of his mates, who is a copper. After a good few drinks the copper begins to explain various ways you may be able to beat the breathalyser. He then goes onto brag about how often he drives into worked pissed inthe mornings, from the night before, before going out to breathalyse people.

Immediately assuming a copper is an outstanding gentleman with the moral high ground over you is ridiculous. The only power they have over you is that which the legal system provides them with.

Now the copper in question, in my eyes, earns himself the title of pig because why should this cunt be given an authority over me to take my fingerprints at roadside when he can't even conduct himself in the manner becoming an authoritive person. Why should someone, who's only merit over me is that he joined the police force be granted a power to stop me and take my fingers prints, which for all I know could be stored permanently, or at least abused at some point in the future.

The government has a track record of fucking IT things up and to be frank I don;t feel the police are capable enough to be considered responsible with such powers.

The above is a perfect example of why I have always maintained that police candidates should be subject to strict psychological screening.

Unfortunately, generally speaking, the average human being who seeks to become a policeman is pretty much from the bottom of the pile. The worst of us, given heinous powers over his fellow citizens. And any of them that try to rock the boat and turn the force into something decent are ruthlessly crushed.

If The Lancashire or Gtr Manchester police had allowed under 21 year olds I would be a copper now Wink - I applied when I was 19, just after failing a course at a Biggin Hill (trying to get into the RAF)...
Then I became a programmer. Sheesh.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:27 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Unfortunately, generally speaking, the average human being who seeks to become a policeman is pretty much from the bottom of the pile. The worst of us, given heinous powers over his fellow citizens. And any of them that try to rock the boat and turn the force into something decent are ruthlessly crushed.

There are plently of people below them in the pile, such as those who after being arrested are convicted by the courts and then have a stay in one of HM's finest hotels. Wink

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again round 2...

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 00:03 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
Quote:

It includes legal immigration and of course emmigration. Of course it cannot include thiose here illegally, but then they are hardly gonna have much effect house prices.

:O

There are around a million illegal immigrants in the country - they aren't living on the streets or in tents, so how on God's green and luscious Earth are a million extra people living in houses not going to affect house prices?

Quote:

As for banning things, I just wonder what else we do, when a mate of mine recently had to pay over the odds for a 2-bed terrace, partly because there were other buyers after the house, including a landlord who just wanted to rent it out

As I said, government schemes and legislation should enable needy people, not castrate others. Everyone's always out to tax/ban those with more cash than then, but then whine when they themselves fall under such things as Stamp Duty.

I can't afford a house myself, but I don't believe the solution is to penalise my parents because they bought and did-up a terraced house in Liverpool to provide accommodation for one of my brothers and his friend.

Quote:

And when someone who is born, and grows up in some small town in Cumbria, or wherever, and cannot afford to buy a house near his/her family and friends because some people can afford to buy 2 or 3 houses and live in them for a few weeks a year. What do you think should be done?

The government should invest in schemes that assist that someone - and me, who lives in outer London and would need to get a mortgage at least 8 times my salary to buy the flat I am renting.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:

:O

There are around a million illegal immigrants in the country - they aren't living on the streets or in tents, so how on God's green and luscious Earth are a million extra people living in houses not going to affect house prices?

Hmm

1 million (possibly), in a population of 61 million
i million(possibly) that are not exactly challenging legit people for the purchase of houses...

I don't see how they can have any 'real effect'

As I mentioned earlier, house prices are roughly 4x that of 36 years ago), taking into account inflation. The population even if you add an extra 1 million, is les than 10% more. Its plain and simple economics combined with unfettered capitalism that has brought us to the state we're in. Immigration/illegals may be a factor, but they are certainly not a major one.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 01:04 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:

1 million (possibly), in a population of 61 million
i million(possibly) that are not exactly challenging legit people for the purchase of houses...

I don't see how they can have any 'real effect'

I fail to see why you believe the above! Why are the illegal immigrants not adding to number of houses required by the population? I'll break it down for you:

1) They all live in flats/houses/caravans...agreed?

2) If an illegal Albanian gent. or a crazy Congolese nutjob is living in a house/flat/caravan (whether renting or buying or provided by family/friends/etc) the chances are that it won't be available for me to buy - with it being occupied and all that.....agreed?

3) With less houses to be shared amongst those wanting them, demand grows and the price rises - as such, illegals living in houses/flats/caravans directly affects the selection of such available to me, and due to the paucity of choice, inflates the price required to purchase them.

Quote:

As I mentioned earlier, house prices are roughly 4x that of 36 years ago), taking into account inflation. The population even if you add an extra 1 million, is les than 10% more. Its plain and simple economics combined with unfettered capitalism that has brought us to the state we're in. Immigration/illegals may be a factor, but they are certainly not a major one.

As I mentioned earlier, your application of economics is flawed. A 10% increase in population (and thus demand on housing) does not necessarily equate to only a 10% increase in house prices.

Increase in demand is not directly proportional to increase in price.

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illegal immigrants cant get mortgages I cant see how they can have a massive effect on house prices as they have no form of income and will not pass a credit check

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it has some effect, but illegals as you say, live in caravans, flats, and generally 'cheap' housing
I live in a modest 4 bed detached. It has increased in value by 2.4 times in 6 and a bit years.

How is this anything to do withl illegal immigration?

(by the way I am not complaining as it is up for sale and we've already bought a house in Sweden...(rented until we sell)

Last edited by froggeh on 01:20 - 25 Nov 2006; edited 1 time in total

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 01:14 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:

The above is a perfect example of why I have always maintained that police candidates should be subject to strict psychological screening.

I've been vaguely interested in a law enforcement career for years, so have followed developments in UK policing quite closely since I was a teenager.

While Siggi and I are seldom going to find common ground when it comes to the police, I agree that recruits require more testing to ensure their suitability for the job, rather than their ability to look good in a diversity poster. Unfortunately, the people who would decide the criteria are the bigwigs at the top, who have proved their utter unsuitability for anything, let alone protecting and serving the UK population.

Another factor that I believe has had a serious impact on the attitude and behaviour of the average constable is the massive recruitment campaigns of a few years ago, where the decent salary was touted as a reason to apply for the job. There were massive adverts on the Tube about it paying 28k in London, which resulted in a corresponding surge in people who didn't want to be coppers, they just wanted to earn 28k without needing qualifications.

I'm not dumb enough to think that every copper prior to the above was like Dixon of Dock Green, but I've no doubts at all that it has had an impact on the motivation and attitude in the squad room. In fairness to the police, similar attitudes are in evidence across the Public Sector, it's just more noticable with the 5-oh for the simple reason that you can't really ignore them!

So there we have it, my 2 cents on the topic, summed up as follows:

-Crap leadership with objectives that do not reflect the needs and desires of the taxpayer

-Large numbers of the Plod who aren't really interested in doing the job for it's own sake, and are just 'innit for da money'.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 21:18 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
Of course it has some effect, but illegals as you say, live in caravans, flats, and generally 'cheap' housing
I live in a modest 4 bed detached. It has increased in value by 2.4 times in 6 and a bit years.

How is this anything to do withl illegal immigration?

I was being sarcastic with the caravans, illegals live in the same type of housing as anyone else. They live in suburbs, urban centres, tenements, high-rises and detached mansions. You show the typical signs of misunderstanding about immigration, just as do the majority of the population. They aren't all poor little penniless refugees hiding under trains and in the back of lorries. We routinely search in weasels with carrier-bags full of cash, who probably live in nicer dwellings than most people on here do.

Anyway, you are still missing the point - or deliberately ignoring it.

There are a finite number of houses in this country.

There are lots of people wanting to buy them.

The price goes up.

Up to a million extra people arriving in the country in a fairly small space of time - I'd say around a decade, puts an immense pressure on the market.

I can't be arsed to continue repeating myself, it's possibly the simplest concept in the world.

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:35 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess I've not read all of this post, just the first page and now I've jumped to the end.

I work as a trainee fingerprint officer in Strathclyde, so I've been hearing a bit about this fingerprint scanner (not loads though, as it's only England and Wales at the moment). It's been interesting reading people's opinions on fingerprints and the storing of fingerprints. As someone who looks at crime scene marks all day at work, I *wish* everyone's fingerprints were on a database! When you're looking at something from a crime where some poor old woman's had her house broken into and her savings stolen - or crimes much worse - and you search the suspects, and then the database, and you don't come up with anything, you'd be wishing the same. You'd be much closer to solving a lot of crime if there was a mandatory national fingerprint database.

I'm not entirely sure whay the problem is with fingerprints being on a database. It's pretty hard to frame someone with fingerprints. And if your fingerprints *were* found at a scene, and you were innocent, you'd probably be able to explain.

I object to everyone having access to my credit details, or my name and address, or who I vote for, etc. But my fingerprints? They can have them! And they should have everyone elses too! Razz

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:

I was being sarcastic with the caravans, illegals live in the same type of housing as anyone else. They live in suburbs, urban centres, tenements, high-rises and detached mansions. You show the typical signs of misunderstanding about immigration, just as do the majority of the population. They aren't all poor little penniless refugees hiding under trains and in the back of lorries. We routinely search in weasels with carrier-bags full of cash, who probably live in nicer dwellings than most people on here do.

Anyway, you are still missing the point - or deliberately ignoring it.

There are a finite number of houses in this country.

There are lots of people wanting to buy them.

The price goes up.

Up to a million extra people arriving in the country in a fairly small space of time - I'd say around a decade, puts an immense pressure on the market.

I can't be arsed to continue repeating myself, it's possibly the simplest concept in the world.

All I am trying to say is, (and I really cant be arsed either), is that it is a small effect. It certainly is a factor, but it is by no means a major factor.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 09:29 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about

O rly?

https://www.blackpooltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=62&ArticleID=1696937
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4685855.stm
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/11/identix_false_id_suit/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/10/AR2006031002027.html

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 14:43 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:

All I am trying to say is, (and I really cant be arsed either), is that it is a small effect. It certainly is a factor, but it is by no means a major factor.

You are wrong.

Quote:
Milan Khatri, chief economist at the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, believes the key social factor behind the growth in property prices is the flood of immigration, particularly from eastern European countries.

“Population growth has been a big economic shock. The level of immigration has been vastly underestimated,” he says.

According to figures out this week from the Office of National Statistics, the UK population is growing by 500 people every day.

https://www.ft.com/cms/s/faf88346-6b36-11db-bb4a-0000779e2340.html
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6