Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kitty Troubles

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Kitty Troubles Reply with quote

Our cat Frankie just won't stop spraying round the house.

We've tried everything to try and get him to stop, followed all advice i could find but nothing seems to be working. We live in a rented house so we really can't let this continue. If we can't stop this we may have to find him a new home Crying or Very sad

Anyone got any ideas? We've stopped him going in the rooms he was spraying in and he's just started to spray in different places. We've tried moving his food to the areas he spray and again he just sprays in other places.

We're cleaning the areas as soon as we find them with non bio washing powder, then going over it with a proper carpet cleaner, and finally spraying the area with surgical spirt as I've been told by lots of people that this is one of the few ways to mask the smell from them to try and get them to stop, but it seems that nothing works.

Any help please? I really don't want him to go but we xcan't afford to keep having him ruin everything round the house.

All of it.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has he had the snip?

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, he still sprays and humps everything in sight!

All of it.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know when? They have to be done before about 8 months or they still spray even though they're fixed.

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must have been around when he was 6 to 8 months. Maybe he was past that stage, but I just need to find a way to stop him. Duct tape cat pants keep coming to mind! Twisted Evil

All of it.
DonTony This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's been done, and it's spraying. Standing up, tail start to shake, and to be honest he can get impressive height and distance!

There is no way I'll have him put down, but i may have to rehome him. He did it in our last house, but only when a new cat moved in next door and sprayed in our porch. I'm hopeing if he moves to a new home he'll stop.

I just really don't want to see him go.

All of it.

techierob
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:24 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember somebody once suggested that you dab their cheeks with a hankie and smear the scent at certain strategic spots around the house to make them feel a bit more at home. Not something I've ever tried though.
Cats normally only spray if they're feeling threatened, although I suppose there are a few cats who spray because they're tossers. Have any strange cats been entering the house recently? Does the cat get let out at nights? Does he have a litter tray available and was he properly housetrained as a kitten?

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

He comes and goes as he pleases at night and we did once find another cat had followed him in, so I'm thinking it's to do with that, but since then he hasn't stopped spraying, We've tried to make him secure in anyway we can, but he's having none of it! He's got his litter tray and uses that without a problem, it's just spraying to mark territory.

If only there was an operation or something!!! I really don't want him to go, but we can't stay like this.

Anyone want a cat????

All of it.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 18:00 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thecatsite.com/forums/

Post on there, it's mostly americans but they're always willing to offer advice which usually isn't try pissing on your cat. Rolling Eyes

gavin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

surgical spirit in a spray bottle Exclamation

every time he sprays, spray the place hes marked with that. your house might smell like an operating theatre for a couple of weeks, but after that he should stop spraying - he will think its your marker and its much stronger than his, so he will give up!

tried, tested, works!

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:35 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

When Fluff started doing it the vet recommed Feliway It worked

Regards
Charlotte

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried surgical spirt and he just seems to move from place to place now.

Where did you get the Feliway stuff Mrs k? It could be our last chance!

All of it.

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 00:25 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT...

https://www.bizrate.co.uk/morepetsupplies/products__keyword--feliway+cats__nwylf--.html

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:39 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've also got this problem but all 4 cats are now doing it. They have all been done apart from baby who isnt old enough yet. I think they are stressed as we are having alot of work done in the house at the moment and just had a nice wooden floor put down Rolling Eyes , they are doing their best to ruin it already! I have ordered Feliway and it arrived today so fingers crossed it works.

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 23 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nc30 chick wrote:
We've also got this problem but all 4 cats are now doing it. They have all been done apart from baby who isnt old enough yet. I think they are stressed as we are having alot of work done in the house at the moment and just had a nice wooden floor put down Rolling Eyes , they are doing their best to ruin it already! I have ordered Feliway and it arrived today so fingers crossed it works.

Let me know how it goes with yours, I'm ordering mine now!

All of it.

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:26 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I get it from the Vets

Regards
Charlotte

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If kitty won't stop spraying, it's pretty bad, but my cat is really how do you say, self sufficient, he learns not to spray the house, but himself

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gavin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this yours then? Laughing

https://www.boreme.com/boremerigid/funny-2003/m_wanking_cat-p1.php

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 14:15 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavin wrote:

First off that creepy on many levels, not least the fact it looked like a tiny prehensile worm and because he was licking his nipples as he did it Shocked

And i actually agree with siggi on this matter, although quite how to explain to your missus that youve just pissed all over the front room would be an issue. But animals do most certainly understand dominance.
Whilst in crete local dogs were very bored and would always be trying to intimidate you. Rushing up to fences barking etc.
As i was usually in a bad/drunk mood when this occurred i just barked back in a very aggressive and loud manner. Soon shut them up. They ended up being sweet little puppies after the realised they werent scaring you, and you would kick them if they tried it.

Edit: There is always the one odd psycho dog so not to be tried unless you dont mind kicking them.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 21:09 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know that dogs aren't cats, right? Rolling Eyes

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 21:21 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
You do know that dogs aren't cats, right? Rolling Eyes

Well considering i do zoology... and you... prat about in toy shops with pirate hats.

Yes, i think i might have an inkling.

They REALLY arent that distantly related, and the rules for domestic animals are pretty similar.

It's not like im trying to get someone to train their cat with experiences ive gained with lobsters is it. But most animals respond to the same kind of stimuli if intelligent enough.

edit: oh and;

me wrote:
But animals do most certainly understand dominance.

Note... animals
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

techierob
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:51 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:

Well considering i do zoology... and you... prat about in toy shops with pirate hats.

is it just me, or does it seem rather odd that someone looking for a career working with animals would wander round drunk kicking dogs for fun? Nothing personal, just curious

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 13:26 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

techierob wrote:
bonny_ricardo wrote:

is it just me, or does it seem rather odd that someone looking for a career working with animals would wander round drunk kicking dogs for fun? Nothing personal, just curious

I've never had to kick one. But you occasionally got rushed by the actually moody ones (not the bored ones) and if you didnt look ready to attack they didnt stop.

Also i like animals, in the same way i like women. The ones who arent cunts i'll like, the common annoying ones can fuck off Thumbs Up

And just because i do zoology doesnt mean i like /all/ animals. I was out in crete doing conservation work with sea turtles, doesnt mean i have to like every aggressive stray dog in the world Wink

zephyrgirl
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:25 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The principles of dominance in a pack animal (such as a dog) are slightly different to those in a (usually) solitary animal (such as a cat).

In dogs the hierarchy of a pack will lend itself to an alpha animal dominating and a sliding scale of dominance right down to the lowest member of the group.
The pack needs a leader to promote order and successful hunting.
Dogs need to be aware of their place in the pack (family home) or else they will challenge for dominance - usually challenging the weaker members of the family.
A few sharp words, perhaps backed up with some physicality (such as scruffing) will reinforce that the dog is below the humans in the family pack.

The use of physical force is understood by most herd/pack animal including horses.

For cats who, apart from lions, hunt as a solitary animal the use of dominance control methods wouldn't make much sense.
I accept that there are 'packs' of feral cats that you can see often abroad, but these animals would not hunt together and are congregating where food is provided. The heirarchy that forms in these situations is not for the benefit of the group, but as a survival mechanism for the individual.

In short, shouting at a dog may cause changes in its behaviour, shouting at a cat will just frustrate you and give you a sore throat.

Re-reading some of what I've wrote, I'd just like to say that I do not condone physical violence to animals, but if you go to the other extreme and let a pack animal be dominant towards you, you will be just causing problems for yourself and for the animal.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2