Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Home servicing...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 15 Apr 2002    Post subject: Home servicing... Reply with quote

A few months ago I decided that I would service my bike myself. I changed the bikes brake pads, changed the spark plug, topped up the ccolant & brake fluids, replaced the gear oil and adjusted the chain. I can't find my manual, so I don't know what else I should do. I've heard a new oil filter should be put on, is this correct and if so, how do I acheive this?

Btw has anyone else read RIDE magazine's article on servicing rip-offs?

any help appreciated.
Laters
Kris

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 21:00 - 15 Apr 2002    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

Yeah Kris I read it, scary stuff. If I am right it is the one where the bloke takes his bike (R6 I think) to his dealer hoping to get a service, gets it home and somehow realises they hadnt changed the oil or filter so took it back and asked them to do another full service which they did...and I quote.....

'They completed the service, new filter, and put the most piss taking amount of oil into the oil reservoir'

hehe....bastards.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:08 - 15 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It is a 2 stroke, so no real oil filter needing to be changed (there may one in the 2 stroke oil tank, but even if it exists that will need to be touched very rarely).

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:32 - 16 Apr 2002    Post subject: i did Reply with quote

i read the article isent ironic that the smallest shop ggot the best score and the largest got the lowest score.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 16 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, and none of them did the job properly either. Evil or Very Mad In fact one shop even lost some of the parts for the bike! Fuckin idiots or what!

I'm sure my local dealer would have had the lowest ever score EVER! Incidently, I overheard them quoting nearly a ton just to change the brake pads on a CB500.....

Does anyone else service their bikes themselves?

zaknafien

PostPosted: 14:04 - 16 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that article too and im so glad i have a local repair man (small shop about the size of a newsagents) who loves bike like everyone else i've never had any problems with him and neither have people i've talked to.

Maybe it helps that he used to work at british steel with my dad and that i do now but hey he's still damn good, even gave me a lift home on his fireblade after my CBT.

PostPosted: 14:08 - 16 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is, with a new bike if you dont go to official dealers at the specified intervals......then you invalidate the warranty, like I did Rolling Eyes

But saying that, I'd rather fix it meself so I learn a bit and know that I did it properly, rather than pay some jumped up c**t in my local dealer to do a half-arsed job.

<big thanks to Korn and NSR125.com for the servicing guides btw>
You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 16 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was me btw Rolling Eyes

air
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:22 - 16 Apr 2002    Post subject: oil strainer/filter Reply with quote

Theres a filter/strainer attached to the bottom of the oil can, you can find it if you take off
the seal between the can and the line, its pretty simple.
I changed mine last week as i was changing the seal and it was easier, it was a bit dirty, but i can't imagine it would kill the bike. Either way, its hard to get at without taking the oil can out and that takes time so i'd say don't bother unless you really really think it matters.

air
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:24 - 16 Apr 2002    Post subject: oil strainer/filter Reply with quote

Theres a filter/strainer attached to the bottom of the oil can, you can find it if you take off
the seal between the can and the line, its pretty simple.
I changed mine last week as i was changing the seal and it was easier, it was a bit dirty, but i can't imagine it would kill the bike. Either way, its hard to get at without taking the oil can out and that takes time so i'd say don't bother unless you really really think it matters.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:16 - 16 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I do most of the work on our bikes myself. Some things I wont bother trying, such as splitting the bottom end of the engine. Far easier to drop the engine myself, remove the top and then take it to a mechanic I trust

The filter in the 2 squeak tank would cause major problems if it god blocked, as no 2 squeak oil would get to the engine.

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks everyone.
My bikes' done nearly 7K, so is there any other major stuff that needs doing?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1