BCF: Bike Chat Forums

selling up...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 18:25 - 12 Feb 2002    Post subject: selling up... Reply with quote

I think i am going to sell my NSR now, sooner than i have hoped.
Everything is starting to piss me off now.

I have spoken to a two people now who had bought NSR imports, and they said that they sold them back to garages a year or so later, and got back more money than they paid originally.

For those of you who have recently sold your 'new' NSRs.
what sort of money did you lose, over what time scale.
Did you sell onto private, or part-ex??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 13 Feb 2002    Post subject: Re: Selling up Reply with quote

Everyone does sooner or later viper, you can only do so many things on a 125.

As for selling i put mine in a friends bike shop and it was sold in a month. I lost £800 over a years use but then i had just put a new chain and sprocket on it and a new rear tyre on. The bike was immaculate so £800 wasn't that bad.

What (if any) bike will you get next? I know when i was looking the options wasn't that great. It seemed it was either the sporty 4's gsxr, cbr, vfr, rvf, zxr. Or the bigger low insurance group bikes like the SV650 or Thundercat.

I went from zxr4 to thundercat before deciding on the sv.

I think you've picked a good time to sell...Everyone will be lookin for a new bike come summer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:50 - 13 Feb 2002    Post subject: Re: Selling up Reply with quote

isn't the thundercat 14? same as ZX6R & CBR...

Viper
If your not in too much of a hurry to sell it's probably woth putting it up for sale in various free ads at a bit higher than you'd reasonably expect to get for it. You'll probably get a better price in a few months time, though the nice weather now will get people thinking about bikes. It should be easier/cheaper to buy a bike now though.

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 17:38 - 13 Feb 2002    Post subject: Cheers... Reply with quote

First things first. Take my test in 1 month.
Then i think i will put her up for sale.

I think i will probably get a CBR400. ALthough i can't really make up my mind. With not much money to play with, it is going to be a pain trying to find a decent one.
Or i could just blow my final years student loan on it. (very likely to happen!!)

The thing is, i have got to the point now, where everything is starting to need money. Very soonish, she will be needing new tyres, new chain and spocket. But the question is, do i sell her with these things nearly worn, or do i invest and get them done. Loosing £250 probably. Is it worth the investment to fix it?!?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 00:05 - 14 Feb 2002    Post subject: Me too. Reply with quote

I'm doing the same. My test is in April and after that my NSR is for sale.
Dunno how much I should expect to get for my bike, but I am hoping that I dont have to spend too much more for an older VFR400. I might buy the VFR earlier just so I have it before I take my test, and coz its a cheaper time to buy. (Gonna look at one at the weekend - 1989 VFR400 NC30).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:04 - 14 Feb 2002    Post subject: Cheers... Reply with quote

89 NC30? I thought they were later....
my flat mate's got a 88 NC21, which is/will be for sale if anyone's interested... not sure what he wants for it though.

Viper,
IMO I reckon it'd be worth trying to sell it as is and seeing if you get any takers. If someone notices worn out stuff you can always offer to reduce the price a bit and probably still get more money than if you'd bought new things.

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 12:29 - 14 Feb 2002    Post subject: Cheers! Reply with quote

Yeah, i might leave the chain and sprockets, and see if i can get away with them. Smile

Although, in a couple of months time, i think the tyres will be nearly knackered. So i think that will be pushing my luck a bit! Confused

I better get 'saving'!
...although i have just been shopping at Sainsbury's, and i'm annoyed to find they have raised the price of their 'Economy' soups. From 19p to 22p!! Shocking!!
How is a student supposed to save with price increases like these!!!! Mad

........anyway!!........

Cheers G!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:32 - 14 Feb 2002    Post subject: Cheers! Reply with quote

Sainsburys? you must be rich... Smile
my flat mate works there and gets 10% off... but still shops at Asda when he can be bothered 'cos it's cheaper/better value.

You might be able to blag the tyres... Depending on what your conscience is like you might get a 17 year old who doesn't know much about bikes looking at it/their parents. Not a very nice start to biking to get ripped off for a 125 (Though I paid far too much for my NSR and should know better, but I won't go into that).
You could alays just warn people 'The tyres are a bit knackered, so I've knocked £200 off what I was going to ask' then (hopefully) they'll think they're getting a bargain and it'll be less hassle for you.

From what I've seen the general private bike-sales market isn't very good at all at the moment so you probably wont get lucky though Crying or Very sad .

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 00:09 - 15 Feb 2002    Post subject: 89 VFR400 NC30 Reply with quote

Well they do make decals for the 1989 VFR400NC30 so I presume the details are correct.
https://www.morgandesigns.com/page50.html

The 1989 VFR was the earliest of NC30's though I think.The ones before that were the NC24s. NC21's even earlier.
NC35s are even nicer but also pricier!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:17 - 15 Feb 2002    Post subject: 89 VFR400 NC30 Reply with quote

Ah, ok. Had a quick check and the NC21 was up to 87, it may have been registered late, or the details could have been mixed up on the import forms.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1