Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does long distance work? - did it work for you?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Do long distance relationships work?
Yes
45%
 45%  [ 19 ]
No
54%
 54%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 42

simon1221
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Does long distance work? - did it work for you? Reply with quote

Just curious..

Trip
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:42 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although 90 miles aint massive...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 16:43 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm yet to see conclusive evidence of a successful long distance relationship.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would nt do it Thumbs Down

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer it. Not in each others face 24/7

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
I prefer it. Not in each others face 24/7

I suppose the sex may be good as the yurning is there, or is it? When you 2 finally get back together you may be tired from travelling or just not in the mood Thinking

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have a high sex drive. So it really dosent bother me. I go for cuddles and kisses Embarassed
The journey is not to bad.. hour and 10 mins. I get there, sit, get my beer brought to me, ill cook and chill. Thats what I look forward to.If we lived together I couldnt see us doing that all the time.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had 2 months of it, having gone back twice in that time and she's coming up next weekend, and then I'm going back for Christmas on the 15th. It's harder to keep close but it's not as difficult as I thought it would be. Mostly it's about trusting eachother to be faithful.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 17:20 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To easy to loose interest IMO

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My O/H and I have been together for 4 years. He's 60 miles away. Not far I know, but when it's the M25 and A1, it's slooow!

Mary Jane
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:02 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 5K miles away from my SO. It's fucking HARD. Visits every few months lasting a week or two... it sucks to be so far away. I obviously don't think of beiong an hour away from someone as being a long distance relationship... that's a visit you can make on a weekend, and have more constant contact with.

It wont work without:
-communication - with the time difference, we have to make an effort to keep lines of communication open. Most days, it's just texting, but there are a few phone calls each week with real conversations.

-Trust - I don't know what he gets up to, and he doesn't really know what I get up to, except for what we decide to share with each other. i'm honest with him in what I do, who I do it with, and such... and I trust him to be equally as honest.

-Contact - the longest we went without seeing each other was 6 months... and that was too much. When we finally saw each other again, we were awkward and unsure around each other. It took nearly a week for us to get back into the same easiness we'd had before. We had to get used to each other again.

- A Move - Maintaining a LDR indefinitely will not work; one or the other person will have to make a move to be closer if the relationship is going to proress at all. I've seen people who had LDRs, and neither person was able to or willing to make a move, and the thing just fizzled out. Currently workng on moving to be with him.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 18:03 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
I'm yet to see conclusive evidence of a successful long distance relationship.

I've been married 10 years to someone I've met online. She moved here in 1996 fron New Jersey. For the last 3.5 years she's been spending 75% of her time in the States looking after her mother. We are still together, and still happy. What would you consider "conclusive evidence"?

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 18:12 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any doubts about the relationship working, then it won't.

If it feels to be 100% the right thing, then it will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust is a factor in our L/D relationship. At the start I was a lil shit, had the odd kiss with someone else. I know she wont be unfaithfull, Shes very 'single person' women.
its jsut me she worries about, but im good Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 18:22 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only reason to have a long distance rship is if you dont like them that much so wdnt want to spend a lot of time with them

personally, i think its better to have someone you would like to spend more time with although moving in is probably going a bit too far in my opinion (unless girl in question is really good ( most turn out not to be) )

i think 10 miles is the optimum distance. near enough to visit, but not too near so they feel they can just pop round whenever

i know girls like to think they are special, but there are loads of them, and its worth getting a local one rather than hanging on to a distant one.

(if you are a straight girl, just replace the word girl with the word bloke for the above to make sense)

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 19:29 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
the only reason to have a long distance rship is if you dont like them that much so wdnt want to spend a lot of time with them

God, you don't half talk some bollocks.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:
colin1 wrote:

God, you don't half talk some bollocks.

I agre wiv dis psot. Thumbs Up

simon1221
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 miles? Thats like 15minute drive down the dual carriageway lol. (not exactly)

I suppose it all boils down to trust and whether the other person is willing to see you every so many weeks/months with just phone calls in the middle.

I started uni this year, and so far most people who are in LDRs are still together.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

personally, i think its better to have someone you would like to spend more time with although moving in is probably going a bit too far in my opinion (unless girl in question is really good ( most turn out not to be) )

i think 10 miles is the optimum distance. near enough to visit, but not too near so they feel they can just pop round whenever

i know girls like to think they are special, but there are loads of them, and its worth getting a local one rather than hanging on to a distant one.

(if you are a straight girl, just replace the word girl with the word bloke for the above to make sense)

God Colin, I've got absolutely nothing against you, but what a crock of shit!

fast_tzr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think it comes down to the people involved, not just love. I was going out with the greatest girlfriend in the world, still madly in love, then I moved to Spain and within a week we both agreed it wouldn't work. It may work for some people, but temptation got the better of me and I didn't see enough of her in the end.

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 22:34 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Were the hell did you dig that stupid moronic notion from Colin?
I,m not saying to much on here but i can defo say that there are other reasons for LDR's not just because you don't like somebody as much as the bloke and his girl next door.

And atm i would say a LDR is working ok for me as we don't really have any other choice atm but it gives us a lot more to look forward to in the future,.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when you do see each other you fuck like rabbits on cocaine Razz

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:22 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops touched a nerve with all those ppl in long distance relationships Smile

if you are happy, thats fine, just saying how it works for me

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:43 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends.. me and my girly were appart for a couple of years, it was difficult, but i'd make a trip over the cat and fiddle and up the m6 as often as i could.. now she has finished uni and a meer 10miles stands between us and we more or less live together Laughing

If you trust and care enough it'll work, but needs effort and its not allways easy, but if theres no prospect of ever liveing closer or not being able to spend time together it'll be very difficult..

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never known them to work, from my point of few the temptation of someone closer to home was always too great Embarassed

Much prefer a girl from my locality round the North Manchester area Smile

And plus, i dig the Manchester girls accent, phwwwoaaaaaaar Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2