Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Keith w.........

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 20:31 - 16 Apr 2002    Post subject: Keith w......... Reply with quote

hi keith can you help??

after takeing a de-tailed look as to why my bike is slowing down i noticed the power valve was'nt opening fully?

i got to the motor thingy and took off both cabels the cabel with out the nut on it is coming out a bit then it seems to hit a snag??? and then it carrys on coming out? obviously the little electric motor cant pull the cable past the "snag" so im not getting optimum power as my exhaust outlet dosnt open fully.
have you got any suggestions on what i can do??? its really slow it took my 9 secs to hit 60 today on a de-ristricted nsr??

thx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:35 - 16 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Take the valve out of the engine (you have the manual?) and clean it up thoroughly. Carefull use some fine wet and dry paper. On the softer alloy bits be very careful, and try using some carb cleaner on them instead. Lube it with some oil (dont use grease, and dont use copper slip as although it takes the heat well it is slightly abrasive) and put it back together

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 20:39 - 16 Apr 2002    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

k thx keith when you say take the valve out, is that the bit behide the radiator or just the bit under the tank??
Mad

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:02 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I mean the actual valve in the engine. Looking at the manual I think you need to remove the actual valves through the cylinder (ie, take the head off), and that may not be the easiest thing to do. It looks like you pull the RC valve shaft out of the side of the barrel, and then the actual valves slide into the barrel. Of course doing this means you will need to replace the head gasket, so it may be best to try and avoid doing the job fully until the top end has to come apart for another reason, such as replacing the rings

As a short term measure, disconnect the valve as you already have and operate it by hand repeatedly. This should free it off a fair bit, hopefully enough to allow the motor to turn it

All the best

Keith

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 18:36 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

thx keith i found the problem, it was the nut that haolds the power valve together, it had vibrated loose and jamed in place stopping the valve open fully.

thx

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:48 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a novel one. Time for some Loctite

All the best

Keith

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:16 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it better now Ctyson??? Back to normal speeds??? All i get is a very last bit of top end rush on my bike so i think ill check mines working too. Might be stuck in the open position.
Dyl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 21:18 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

yeah its much better thx dylan the speed is bake to normal now evan though my bike is still abit slower than usual but it is due a service, i think the air filter is dirty.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1