Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Interview tips?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Crash125
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:07 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Interview tips? Reply with quote

Got an interview for a new job on thursday, its for clerical assistant in a hospital. I have no clerical experience and never been to an interview for clerical work, what sort of questions do you think they will ask? I aint looking for anything for anything specific just a rough idea about the sort of stuff you might get asked. Mr. Green

(oh and keep your fingers crossed for me please Praying )

bikerbanditz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:36 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last job interview.

Wore a suit
Looked interviewer in the eye
Sold myself

This all seemed to work as I now have the job. Just be polite and punctual. Get there on time with a presentable appearance and remember to sell yourself.

Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:50 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my first civil service interview it was for a clerical job. To be honest they just had a chat with me, asked me how I was with boring repetitive tasks, asked if I'd decided to apply for the job myself or had some help from school (I was 18), and that was it.

Low level clerical jobs, they're basically looking for someone who speaks English and comes across as a fairly normal sort of person.

Got the job, it was a piece of piss.

Crash125
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:59 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do that, me can speak english and I will talk to ANYONE that wants to talk to me about anything Mr. Green

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 10:00 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trigger happy finger doing the double post thing... Embarassed

Last edited by Annabella on 12:36 - 27 Nov 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 10:01 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be asked things regarding data protection as you might be dealing with patient records.

Think about the question before you answer it. No one expects you to answer immediately, so pause and plan your answer so you don't repeat yourself or say anything unrelated.

Otherwise, try to appear relaxed, but don't overcompensate by making silly jokes - we interviewed one guy on Friday who jokingly tried to offer me £50... Confused

As Robby said, if you appear as normal as possible and reasonably organised (you get to the interview on time) you'll be fine.

Good Luck Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Resurrection
Ballast Boy

PostPosted: 11:35 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you didn't take this sweetener bella?

Shame on you

Res

techierob
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:49 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on the type of job. If they're looking for a bootlicker, then dress smart and be prepared to smile and nod a lot. If they're looking for someone capable, then just dress so that you're comfortable and treat it as an informal chat. The final impression at a job interview is a lot more important than the first.
If you're cheerful and confident, then that attitude can rub off on the interviewers. Just do what it takes to be relaxed and don't even try to think of it as an interview. If the interviewers find you likable, then it'll do you more favours than if you were to get all the job-related questions right.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you avoid drinking coffee at the interview. Too much caffeine will just make you too talkative.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 13:58 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosh a few lines of coke, then you'll have NO problem bigging yourself up in the interview.

And if they want to see how hard you can head butt the wall without feeling it... well you'll be sorted.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 14:01 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

always maintain good eye contact. I can't stand interviewing nervy 'look everywhere but me' type o' c*nts.

I find keeping my hands on my lap is a good way to stop them waving about, if a question makes your flap. It also makes you appear more confident.

Listen to the questions asked and take a moment before answering them. Nothing worse than blurting out some nervous, wrong answer because your so eager to impress Thumbs Up

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 17:20 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be confidant.
Be clear and concise with your answers.
Answer the question you were asked.
Shake hands and look the interviewer in the eye.
Ask for feedback on the interview.

fenton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give a nice firm handshake and a smile, when you first meet the interviewer

Wait for them to ask for you too sit down.

Always look at theyre eyes. dont give them the impression your bored. even if you are.

Listen to what they have to say careully, so if they ask a question later you dont make a tit out of yourself.

Ask all questions you can think of when he or she asks if your got any questions, make sure you understand everything about the job. Pay, hours, breaks....everything.

When the interview ends, wait for them to stand up first.

Firm handshake and thanks for you time, all that shit.

ive had three interviews and got all the jobs, my two cents anyway. hope its helped
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Crash125
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:15 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips Thumbs Up , will keep them in mind and try to stay calm on the day Very Happy

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, don't forget to arrive 5 or 10 mins eary, this can be of BIG help, shows you are organised and want to be there, first impressions are lasting impressions, and also the other tips from everyone else, good luck m8.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

do a search on the company online, so when they ask if you know anything about the company you can say yes.

Remember to smile and be friendly.

If you have any copies of references take them with you.

Write down some questions to ask the company...
* ask the person interviewing you, why they applied to that company
* are the hours flexible
* do they support a pension

anything really, to make it look like you are interested in them. If you dont have the actual experience they are looking for, highlight times when you have worked effectively in a team, say what admin things you have done, say that you pick things up easily, that sort of thing.

Good luck.

Pte1643
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:49 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a panel taking the interview if it's for the NHS.

Make sure you address them ALL, not just the one that asks the question. Bear in mind that the person asking the question is asking on behalf of them all.

NEUTRAL body language (No Crossing your legs, or arms etc)

Smile, and (try to) be relaxed.

Be Confident in your answers.

Yes, by all means you must sell yourself... But don't bullshit, as they will see this a mile off.

Finally...

Be "Natural".

Good Luck.

bennett211085
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:36 - 14 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutch courage wont help. I know from experiance. Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1