Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

In need of some help guys (stew stop panicking :P)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

zaknafien

PostPosted: 22:18 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: In need of some help guys (stew stop panicking :P) Reply with quote

Morning Smile

Ok been having a little trouble with starting my bike up here's the story, I tried to start it and it did nothing except make a low whistling noise so stew and Scooby decided it must be the battery after I told them the indicators no longer worked or the lights with just the ignition on. Anyway I took it off charged it up blew a cap (stop smirking in the back) fixed it and it worked fine again until this dinner time (Wednesday) I was just coming towards works security gate and it was closed so I slowed down and the engine died on me.

After taking it off the road and having a look the battery was connected ok but it wouldn't start there seemed to be no power, I spent 5 minutes chatting to the security guard went back to the bike and lo and behold it started up fine.

But that wasn't the end after taking her about 2 mile towards home I slowed for a car turning infront of me and the engine stopped again luckily I was going downhill so I just let the clutch out and bumped it back into life, got a bit further home stopped at some traffic lights and it died again. The traffic lights were on a slope again so let clutch out again and bumped it; I managed to get about 200 yards more and turned into a side street to take another look.

Everything looked connected again but wouldn't start so I sat down for 5 minutes, tried again and it started. So after all that I carried on my merry way and managed to get up the biggest hill home with no problems but I came to the hill just before my street and I got to the straight top and it died again as I had to stop for a lolly pop lady. I wheeled it a bit further pulled her off the road waited 5 mins again and it started this time I got home put her in the garage.

I took the battery off and hooked it upto my charger and it showed 2½ (1 is good 4 is bad) but only 3 days earlier it showed 1. I've charged it up to 1 again and I'm going to check in the morning and see if it's lost any charge over night.

What I want to know is from what I've said does it sound like a battery or alternator problem to you guys to me it screams battery but I'm not exactly one in the know.

No alarm or immobiliser to drain the battery fitted btw

Zak

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 22:37 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the bike dies, is there any power at all? ie are there any lights? Question

It could be that the battery elements are hammered, but as I never had this problem I am not sure Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 22:54 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing unless i leave it turned off for 5 mins then the nuetral light comes back and it starts. or i bump it of course.

James
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:55 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Forget about the battery. Im pretty sure its one of the following:
1: Spark plug is fucked
2: Carburettor problem
Buy a new NGK plug. Should only cost you a couple of quid. Put the new plug in and see how it behaves once youve got it started. If its still the same, take your carb off the bike and dismantle it completely. Remove all jets and make sure you're float is set at the right height. Clean all parts and put carb back together. Before re-fitting check your air-filter element is fairly clear and not totally gummed up with oil and shite. Put it back together and id expect it to be fine. If its not get back to me.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 22:57 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not the battery why is it losing power from 1 to almost 3 in 3 days?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:03 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

This is a strange one.

If the battery was dead to the extent the neutral light would not come on then there is no way that it would regain enough charge in 5 minutes to start the engine (using the electric start). Yes a battery will regain some power if left for 5~10 minutes, but not that much.

While a carb or plug problem would stop the bike running, they would not affect the lights or whether the bike would turn over.

My guess would be that you have a loose or dirty connection. Maybe the negative lead is loose? Next time it happens use a small piece of wire to short from the battery negative terminal to the frame and see if you suddenly get some power to the lights.

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stew

PostPosted: 23:04 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it be something like the regulator/rectifier overheating? I have heard of similar problems on other bikes. But why would it have suddenly started to do that??
Somebody help Zak out!! Sad

zaknafien

PostPosted: 23:08 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick help me out stew's starting the panic again!

Laughing

Stew

PostPosted: 23:11 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am not panicking (yet) - I just want you to enjoy your bike like I did!!
At least you are gonna know all about the inner workings of the NSR!! (or at least the electrical bits)

And look what we have started again!!

zaknafien

PostPosted: 23:15 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no the 2 way convo again!

someone save us please.

one day kornel is gonna give us a right shoeing for taking up all his space Laughing

zaknafien

PostPosted: 23:22 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gonna go have a play with the connections and everything then im gonna go to bed tomorrow i'll have all the afternoon and night to take it apart so might no more by then.

Until then keep posting ideas on what it could be as this is weird.

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it may be a short or a loose connection somewhere..

zaknafien

PostPosted: 23:45 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've disconnected the battery and im gonna leave it overnight and then when i got to work in the morning connect it up to the charger again and see if it's lost any power if it's lost quiet a bit then id probably say it's the battery wouldnt you?

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 00:16 - 18 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buggered battery would explain not starting and no lights but even if the battery was tatered wouldnt the bike carry on running from the charging system??

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 18 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the battery in good nick?
How old is it?
Are the terminals furred up?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1