Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buggered handling

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 00:41 - 18 Apr 2002    Post subject: Buggered handling Reply with quote

Have just put new head bearings in on my '92 nsr and now the handling has gone to shit!!

Ive got a very definate weave at slower speeds, ie 40 and lower, and the cornering is fucked.
It tips in too fast but then if i try to pick it up a bit top change my line then it comes up too quick as well.
The weave is horrendous when im slowing(but not when heavy braking), I struggle to keep it under half the lane! Shocked

The forks are level according to the marks that are by the top yoke but there is slightly different amount showing over the bars. Is that cuz of the bars??

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:22 - 18 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure how you can get a different level at the yoke and on top of the clip on. The manual says to install to the grove on the fork with the top yoke.

However, my guess would be that you have overtightened the steering head bearings. The manual specifies to torque them up to 1.4ft-lb, moev the bars lock to lock 5 times then slacken off and retorque.

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 23:31 - 18 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The different level confused me as well.
I spose it must just be a difference in the bars.

Ill try loosening them off, see if that helps.

Cheers Keith.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:44 - 18 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what happens when you overtighten steering head bearings is that you loose smoothness, and so you tend to overcompensate with any steering input. So you head in one direction, overcompensate and head off in a second direction, try again and back in the first direction.......

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
How much does it cost to fit new steering head bearings, cause my steerings gone shit too. There seems to be exsesive vibrations comming from the handle bars and they wobble when i brake hard and going roundf corners, so is it the steering head or sumfin else

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 12:12 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, sounds like it could be head bearings, I sure keithll tell ya tho Laughing

They cost me £35 and a coupla hours in the garage with a mate.
Its probably an hours labour from a garage.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:17 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Steering head bearings going will normally go slack and you will land up with a clonking noise. Other ones to check are the wheel bearings, swinging arm bearings and the suspension linkages (and a knackered shock), as all can cause odd handling.

Bearings normally are not difficult to do (once had a pig of a job removing some non standard tapered roller bearings from an FZ750). Couple of hours work, but be careful not to damage the threads on the steering "stem" when you try and knock the bottom yoke out

All the best

Keith

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 22 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Yeah every now and again there will be these cluncking noises comming from the front end, like goin over small bumps.

Thanx

LUke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1