Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yeah...Killa's talking money again (it's about money G)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:50 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Yeah...Killa's talking money again (it's about money G) Reply with quote

I’ve moved into my new flat now, my rents gone up and I don’t have a lot of furniture.
I’m young, with partner, so I know these things take time to build on.

Currently my debt is manageable, I was stupid awhile back with my DTR, I was looking for a decent quote to change insurers from my old 3rd party deal and the bike was stolen. I’m still repaying the money, on top of that I have my loan for the ninja because I was tired of spending money on £600 bangers. I don’t regret the ninja, she’s being really good and I am servicing her regularly.

So, I need a few things for the flat, like sofa’s, wardrobes etc…

I wanted some tips on saving money basically, I earn a decent wage, my out goings are just over half of my monthly income.
I seem to be spending a lot on personal items, and going out, how can I control this!?

Thanks

Killa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:57 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: Yeah...Killa's talking money again (it's about money G) Reply with quote

My point exactly - what about money Rolling Eyes.

For instance 'Any tips on day to day saving for bigger purchases' would have actually got me responding to the questions asked (as it's something I do have to do often, with the racing eating all my money), rather than responding because my name was in the thread title.

Your loss Wink.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the debit card at home and draw a weeks worth of money out of the atm at the start of the week.

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:59 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop in Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: Yeah...Killa's talking money again (it's about money G) Reply with quote

killa wrote:
So, I need a few things for the flat, like sofa’s, wardrobes etc…I wanted some tips on saving money basically

For furniture check out places like the free ads and friday ads. All you need is a van and, within a couple of hours, you'll be stocked up for no money at all.

killa wrote:
I seem to be spending a lot on personal items, and going out, how can I control this!?

The obvious answer is in the question.

You need to have a budget for each week: X amount of food/bills etc. and X amount for 'killa'; you should also stick a little away each month, even if it's just £25.

After a while it'll become routine and easy to follow, you'll find you thinking changes (from 'that's nice, I'll have it' to 'that's nice, but I don't need it/will have to save for it')
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:29 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: Yeah...Killa's talking money again (it's about money G) Reply with quote

killa wrote:
I wanted some tips on saving money basically, I earn a decent wage, my out goings are just over half of my monthly income.

Decide how much of your income you want to save.
Open up a savings account (somewhere like Egg where you'll get a better rate than highstreet banks).
Setup a monthly direct debit from your normal account to your savings account. Have this so that it takes the money just after payday.

And try not to touch the savings account until buying what you're saving for. Smile

You could get a savings account where you have to give 30/60/90 days notice to withdraw the money but that could end up leaving you in a bad position if you needed to spend some of your savings on something

VTR SP1
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:35 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to DFS or any other sofa place and get a new one on free for a year and intrest free for another 3 years. you end up paying around £20 a month which aint to bad.

If you want cheep stuff there is the the furniture recycling project in Gloucester. They have a shop by the bus station.
https://www.frpglos.fsnet.co.uk/priceguide.htm

SP1

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:42 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

learn to cook well with cheap ingredients

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:45 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: Yeah...Killa's talking money again (it's about money G) Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

You could get a savings account where you have to give 30/60/90 days notice to withdraw the money but that could end up leaving you in a bad position if you needed to spend some of your savings on something

Nah. You can still make a withdrawal without giving notice but you usually lose the interest for the notice period or have to pay a penalty charge.

See if there are any auctions/salerooms nearby. You can pick up some damned good quality furniture for next to nothing. Often pretty old stuff which is made properly out of solid wood rather than sawdust held together with monkey jism.

If you're going for a more modern feel, a coat of paint can spruce them up a bit.

If you're really hard up, it is amazing what you can make using old forklift pallets, some ingenuity and a coat of paint.

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 01:53 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

For furniture check out places like the free ads and friday ads. All you need is a van and, within a couple of hours, you'll be stocked up for no money at all.

Freecycle?
Remember you can always say no.... if it's a pile of cack!

Quote:
o to DFS or any other sofa place and get a new one on free for a year and intrest free for another 3 years. you end up paying around £20 a month which aint to bad.

I Really hope this is a p1sstake! Rolling Eyes

Killa... You really need to ask about.. everyone and anyone... you'll be amazed at how things come out of the garage, loft, etc!
Get yourself a couple of jam/coffee jars, label one up for rent, another for food, one for debts etc etc
On payday, split your wages up into relevant amounts and stick them in the jar!

Quote:
you should also stick a little away each month, even if it's just £25.

If you have a savings account (no matter what the interest rate - as with small piddly amounts it wont really make a lot of difference anyhow, set up a standing order for a couple of quid to go in there every week! You will soon forget about it and it's amazing how quickly it will mount up!

Quote:
learn to cook well with cheap ingredients

Classic! Don't buy sh1tty ready-made foods, only have take-away once in a blue moon.
I've been so skint before now that i've fashioned a bolognaise out of corned beef, pickled onions and cheapo spaghetti sauce!
Corned beef hash... used the leftovers with some pastry and turn it into corned beef pie/pasties, ate it with chips and beans...
You just need some imagination!

It's not difficult to get into saving, just make sure you keep yourself out of the position where you might be tempted to 'impulse buy'!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:40 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be ashamed to skip-dive.

Where I used to live (in Fulham) you'd be amazed at what some people throw out, which is perfectly good, and often expensive stuff. Just cos the cat clawed the leg of a chair, they sling the whole set. That sort of thing.

But remember : If you take a fancy to something you see in a skip, take it there and then, otherwise the Steptoes will invariably get it before you get back.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 08:21 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want free furniture, join your local Freecycle group. If you google 'Freecycle' you'll find it easy enough.

Next, open a second bank account. Decide how much money you want to save each month, and set up a standing order which transfers that money into your 'savings account' on the day you get paid. Then just make sure you don't help yourself to the pot, and force yourself to live off the remainder.

Works for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:13 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been asking around and yeah, I’m getting some decent stuff.
Thing is the missus as you can imagine wants everything to match….. Rolling Eyes

I know I could save some money each month, and I know I could also, with the help of the girlfriend, purchase some bigger items out right from wages. The thing is, I don’t have a PC, I know if I had a PC I could get a lot of things done that I need to, as you know I’m creating my Drum and Bass E.P with my mate, we could do more work over the net because I could work on tunes and send him the results, he then adds it to the track and we are working more often. He lives about 10-15 maybe more, miles away, it makes it hard for us to work in the week.
That’s just one thing, then, because I love films so much, I’d love a nice TV……anyway…you get the idea, my concern is, how much and how long will I have to save for, for all this!?

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 10:16 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
how much and how long will I have to save for, for all this!?

I've been working for 5 years now since I finished uni, I also earn a decent wage, but I don't have all those nice things yet.

To be honest, unless you're super rich, you'll never have all those things you want. There's always something else that comes along that you need to spend your money on.

Recently I had some cash saved up to pay off my credit card. Then a bus wrote my car off and I had to buy a new one. Sad

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 10:56 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:

Thing is the missus as you can imagine wants everything to match….. Rolling Eyes

There are ways around that.

If you are talking soft furnishings, sofas etc then head to the local market (or ikea, but the market will be cheaper) and buy throws/large amounts of material you can use to cover with. We bought some brown throws from ikea to cover the sick sofa when we first moved in, and large rugs (really cheap plain cream rag rugs) to cover the carpet.

Buy white crockery - everything matches white, plus it makes the food look nicer.

Make your own curtains using cheap offcuts/leftovers from fabric mills - Dunelm if you have one is great.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 11:22 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bella!

I actually got all my windows sorted for £60.
I have a nice velvety type roman blind in dark chocolate.
And then for the front room, some oriental bamboo blinds which match the carpet! (Carpet is not made of bamboo)

I’ve seem some sofa’s from Ikea which are £130 each (very cheap), we are going to by one each but I have to go and look because I think they have low backs on them which means back problems….lol

The rest of the seating we have decided on huge bean bags.

I’ve got a coffee table coming from my sister’s place.

Sorry for listing things, it’s so I can see it all here as well.

Killa

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:

Sounds like you need some help from Colin and Justin. Wink

https://www.five.tv/media/image/7775225.jpg

swaffs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this site:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com

Theres some interesting reading, the grabbit while you can section in the forum can make for some interesting bargains (you could have got an XBOX360 for free this week! from Tesco)

Martin has got a good book out that might help
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/images/Books_v1.jpg

Swaffs

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 12:54 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:

I’ve seem some sofa’s from Ikea which are £130 each (very cheap), we are going to by one each but I have to go and look because I think they have low backs on them which means back problems….lol

I know which ones you mean, though would be inclined to think you would be better off with something better constructed (and more comfortable) that is free from freecycle and to just cover, or even pay for it to be recovered.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:01 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
Buy white crockery - everything matches white, plus it makes the food look nicer.

Plus, when you get bored of white, you can colour them in with some of those ceramic paint things ... voila! New set of crockery!

Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:10 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really ... why would you go and spend £260 on two new sofas (oh, one each... what swrong with two chairs, ... one each) ... AND you're worried about getting back pain from them.

I can't understand how you are looking at buying new things when you're trying to economise, and there's a world of second hand or free things you can have instead. Just so everything matches?

Fuck me, I'm twice your age, and I've NEVER managed to buy myself a set of matching sofas yet. Usually from lack of funds, but thats generally because my priorities told me that I really ought to pay the bills before I was worried about whether me fuckin crockery matched.

I'm not havin a go, killa (not really, despite how it sounds, LMAO) but if you are just starting out, then don;t try and get everything all at once (and matching!!!) ... thats how you get into worse credit management than ever, babe.

At least give yourself something to have ambition about Laughing

hellkat
One Day I WILL Get Matching Sofas That I Bought Myself!

Laughing Laughing

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 03:46 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Bargain Buys Reply with quote

Asda's smartprice 16 piece dinner service... ok so it looks like school canteen plates, but hey.. they match! (white)

Tesco cutlery.... 24 piece set for 3 quid odd (solid metal so no plastic handles that snap off when you're mashing your roasties into your gravy)

Asda smartprice towels... hand towel 74p right up to bath sheet about 3 quid (ok so they're only available in white.. but they wash well.. I have 2 kids and a 40 degree was gets their grubby handprints out)

Asda smartprice bath mat set (white) 3-4 pounds

Duvets, pillows, etc etc etc asda (cheap as chips I don't ever bother washing mine.. just buy new)

pound shops for cushion covers, candles, kitchen utensils, cups, glasses, ashtrays etc

charity shops for curtains

Wilkinsons, lamps from 3 quid

Bugger Lightshades... get the asda paper ones for now

(and everything Hellkat said Laughing )

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:10 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: Bargain Buys Reply with quote

lozzypop1 wrote:
pound shops for cushion covers, candles, kitchen utensils, cups, glasses, ashtrays etc

Found some excellent ashtrays in the pound shop a while ago.
Shaped like fag packets, they are.

And they look like someone's left an open fag packet on the table, only its china, all painted up properly in Marlboro, Lucky Strike and Camels colours.

Usually I stick to glass ones, or plain black ones.
But everybody thinks they're great.

Mind you, they all think all those stupid ones with the rastaman on them are great, too Rolling Eyes I facken hate them.

Pound shops are often full of SERIOUSLY nasty tat.
But occasionally you can find a fun thing in them.

What am I talking about buying ashtrays for? God! Do what everyone else does when they're skint: steal em from the pub!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:04 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use a knackered bike piston, everyones favourite novelty ashtray.

Something quite a few mates have done too which saves a fortune is to get a wood burning stove. If you have a chimney, get it swept.

You can make a very effective wood burning stove out of an old butane gas bottle, door cut in front, weld a flue on, burn the paint off (outside!) and give it a coat of black stove enamel.

You then just need to keep your eye out for wood lying about, there's plenty out there thrown away in skips and dumped here and there.

Half your heating bill overnight.

https://www.ludlowsurvivors.com/stove.html

https://ludlowsurvivors.com/myPictures/stove12.JPG

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:03 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely, but not exactly practical for everyone

fortunately my house comes with holes for fireplaces and with chimneys

unfortunately i dont have fireplaces, but i am considering just lining with bricks and using anyway

i also agree with hellkat about skipdiving

i once got a reclining armchair out of a skip

a tatty lazyboy type thing.

very heavy as it had a steel frame, but great fun

Last edited by colin1 on 23:23 - 30 Nov 2006; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2