Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Strange engine sounds....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:01 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Strange engine sounds.... Reply with quote

The poor old gal is making some really strange sounds from the engine. Its the occasional thud with a sort of scratching sound (frenzied vibration through handlbars with each thud).
Ive stoped riding it now, but i was riding it home and it seemed ok, just down on power. Its an 11 yr old import, but only done 4000 km, was wondering if the lack of lubrication to the little end or big end bearings has caused them to dissintegrate. Could it be a smashed ring??
Takimg it into a bike shop to check on saturday but any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks
Dylan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:11 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is the noise engine speed or road speed related?

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:59 - 20 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine speed related, although it seems to be there at all engine speeds.
Thanks
Dyl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

James
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:14 - 20 Apr 2002    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Sounds like your big end (crankshaft) bearings are rumbling to me. This means they need replacing. Could be a problem in the gearbox but its unlikely. If its a problem with the gearbox it will be detectable like this: drain all the engine oil from the sump plug into a tray. Look closely at the oil for metal fragments or other debris. If there seems to be quite alot of metal filings and the like in the oil something is wrong and grinding in the engine. The main bearings are sealed off from the engine oil so any problems there wont be refelected in the oil.

Without hearing it i couldn't say for certain, but it does sound like the Mains are on their way out/have gone.

Hope that helps

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:23 - 20 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuts, looks like more money to spend. Ill probably just drop the engine out and let my local bike shop do the diagnosis, gearboxes just arnt my thing. Mad any idea how long it would take a bike shop to replace the mains???
Thanks
Dylan

James
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:18 - 20 Apr 2002    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Last edited by James on 17:19 - 20 Apr 2002; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

James
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:18 - 20 Apr 2002    Post subject: . Reply with quote

When i had a badly rumbling Suzuki TS and i needed to get to college the next day and already had the new main bearings ready, I managed to split my engine, warm up then prize the old bearings off, put a new one in crankcase and one on other on crank, whack it back together, put it back in the bike have it running again in 3 hours Razz
That was one of the flukey times everything went well though. Sometimes you can just plain and simple be unlucky and be slowed down by auquard problems like the bearings not seating properly. Or even worse you do what i once did with my NS engine, re-build it all and only when you start it do you realise youve not timed the balance shaft up. Then youve gotta take the engine back out and take the clutch cover off. How anoyed at myself was i that day Evil or Very Mad . must have been tired Confused

Anyway about the time your engine can be sorted in, if you inform the bike shop in advance, they should be able to do it all for you in the same day. Thats if yours is the only job though. Ring around and see what they have to say.
Id also let someone in the know have a listen to it first. Clarify my suspicions. If you had a portable microphone you could record the sound as a WAV file and id tell you straight away what the problem was.
Anyway take the complete engine to a shop and they'll sort for you.

Good luck with it

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:01 - 20 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took her to the bike shop 2day. Was running badly, and on the way back wuldnt go past 6k rpm. Took the engine out (workshop manual didnt say i had to take the radiator off, bout an hour stressing bout that). ill take it 2 this good bike shop tommorow, was making more scratching sounds, so i think its the nickasil bore thats mufed. any way ime meant to be doing a levels otherwise i would do it myself.
3 hours for the main bearings......nah, dont think i could quite manage that!!! Wink
Thanks for the help
Dylan

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:15 - 21 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the head off this morning. Its got a scratched bore, so all it needs is the cylinder replating and new rings etc. Its £85 to get it replated, anyone know of a better alternative??? Apart from a big bore kit as i want to keep it legal. What bout second hand ones??
Thanks
Dylan
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1