BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rat engineering: Homemade "clip-on" handlebar

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 14 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate letting other people do even the most simple things to my bikes. I need to know exactly what has been done, and that it has been done right - The only way to know for sure is to watch it being done or do it yourself.

Letting people work on your motorcycle is putting your life in their hands. If you're bombing along at 80mph even the most simple unimportant component failing could see you falling victim to a fatal crash. There's no-one in this world who I would trust my life to, except maybe grudgingly my father.

Adam, you seriously wouldn't want to buy the Bros. Too much stuff is damaged for it to now be a "nice clean example". It's still a great bike for day in day out commuting, and also for embarrassing the big boys in the twisties, but cosmettically it's now a bit far gone.

Jenks
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:05 - 15 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Care? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

edd
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:33 - 27 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats just brilliant, its a really nicely made bodge job. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Gavin_dack
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 27 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a pro welder that welds lory trailers and cars ect ect. That weld looks good enough for the job. wel done Thumbs Up

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 28 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be having a go at rebuilding the shattered part of the SV crank case over the next few weeks. Making a plate with a bearing surface to take the gear shift shaft, see how it goes. Cheaper than a new motor anyway.

SilvaRizla
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:56 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
I hate letting other people do even the most simple things to my bikes. I need to know exactly what has been done, and that it has been done right - The only way to know for sure is to watch it being done or do it yourself.

Letting people work on your motorcycle is putting your life in their hands. If you're bombing along at 80mph even the most simple unimportant component failing could see you falling victim to a fatal crash. There's no-one in this world who I would trust my life to, except maybe grudgingly my father.

Adam, you seriously wouldn't want to buy the Bros. Too much stuff is damaged for it to now be a "nice clean example". It's still a great bike for day in day out commuting, and also for embarrassing the big boys in the twisties, but cosmettically it's now a bit far gone.

I agree, for instace about 8 weeks ago there was a serious accident on the East Lancs because (as I heard it) after a service a very well known company with a good rep forgot to tighten the sump plug which fell out, enigine seized throwing rider off who was left in a very bad way

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilvaRizla wrote:

I agree, for instace about 8 weeks ago there was a serious accident on the East Lancs because (as I heard it) after a service a very well known company with a good rep forgot to tighten the sump plug which fell out, enigine seized throwing rider off who was left in a very bad way

fair point, if I knew what I was doing and I had the tools and time I would much prefer to do the work myself... but the reality is I'm lacking all 3 of those. As such I'd much rather take it to a garage (one I trust) and give it a quick check after myself- I'm sure its safer for me than if I tried to bodge it on my own.

Fair enough if you know what you're doing, wish I did, but I think for the majority of people the reality is their bike is safer in the hands of a decent, professional mechanic Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2