Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

de-restricting shit bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

jon

PostPosted: 11:22 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: de-restricting shit bikes Reply with quote

don't laugh but, is it possible to de-restrict a CG125? just to get a few more mph out of it??
You must be logged in to rate posts

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 11:43 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if they even bothered to restrict those things Smile is the exhaust even big enough to fit a restrictor......

sorry for not being helpful one of the intelligent forum members will answer later Rolling Eyes

matt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jon W.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

i was looking at an SR125 and noticed it had a restrictor in the pipe, im not sure about the CG but its just that i'm getting one of these so i'd like to be able to do this

zaknafien

PostPosted: 12:39 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldnt know about derestriction but for info a CG's exhaust is quite large

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:53 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Re: de-restricting shit bikes Reply with quote

AFAIK cg's aren't restricted. You can probably tune them a bit, but I dob't it'd be worth it.

btw. allthough the actual exhaust is quite large the internal diameter is small (at the exit at least)

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah g's right they only make 11bhp or something as a maximum with them being 4 strokes, I looked into them when I was deciding what bike to get. Don't bother with them if you want something with any go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:33 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

newer 4 strokes can make around the 15hp limit... but the cg design is around 20 years old... easy & simple maintence though.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:26 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
newer 4 strokes can make around the 15hp limit... but the cg design is around 20 years old... easy & simple maintence though.

CG engine design is alot more than 20 years old, and it is in no way designed for performance. It is the cheap, slow, low maintenance and econominal version of the 4 stroke singles used to power CB125s and XL125s. The CG only has push rods, while the more sporty ones use overhead cams

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:29 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry meant the cg engine not the general design; my boss was about to come and talk to me so I wanted to close IE quickly...
Admittadley I'm not sure when the cg was first introduced and if the engine was used before the cg.

Jon W.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks for your replys anyway. + I only want the CG because everything is cheap to do with it and I only need it for a year to get to and from uni!
(when i hit 21 i'll get my 600 hornet on the road)

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: CG engine Reply with quote

What was the CG engine in before then? I thought CB125s were twins.

Stevo

PostPosted: 22:07 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CG aint restricted as such, but is just an 11bhp cooking engine. Keiths right about more sporty hondas using an OHC motor. They did do a CB125 single as well as the twin which had 13bhp@10k. The XL125 trail bike also used the OHC version, and in fact the bottom end of the CG and CB motors looks very much the same. I dunno if it might be possible to fit the OHC top end to the CG bottom end, but it wouldent suprise me. As for power well you aint gonna get much from a simple 4s single, but the key to getting extra power is in the Cylinder head. If you have it gas flowed and ported, and skim the head face to increase the CR then you might gain an extra couple of hp. Also you could use the cam from a honda dirt bike motor that has more lift, as does the CB cam i think. My m8 needs a new silencer for his CG, but he aint so keen on my idea that we saw off the knackered one, and fit a nice magaphone for that real race bike sound.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 23:03 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CG is a workhorse anyway if the thing did go fast you come off it pretty quick as it's crap on corners and stuff.

Stevo

PostPosted: 23:18 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i reckon that for what it is the CG handles pretty well, and the small tyres give nice quick steering, and it can be leaned over quite a bit before the pegs scrape. The only part of the chassis that is near the limit of its performance is the brakes, and if it were any quicker it would probably need a disc on the front. For a cheap ride to work/college bike that you can thrash everywhere and is easy on maintainence then its hard to beat. Bikes like AR125's or RG125's are much quicker but probably less reliable and wont tolerate neglect like a CG will.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:45 - 19 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with Steveo, the handlings not too bad though the braking is pretty poor. They're nice little bike though best kept to town/local use.
When the pegs scrape it's a bit worring though, as they're rubber coated... they bounce the bike back up, which worried me the first time it happend Smile .

zaknafien

PostPosted: 00:02 - 20 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd disagree with both i found the handling absolutely dire that bleh thats just me and yeah the braking is crap those drum brakes just dont cut it anymore.

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 00:25 - 20 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe zaknafien.....it ain't the CG's crap handling, it's just that the NSR's is loads better....

zaknafien

PostPosted: 00:56 - 20 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah i hated the CG's from the minute i test rode my m8's DTR i just never liked it

James
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:26 - 20 Apr 2002    Post subject: . Reply with quote

I cant fault CG's. I had one as a step up from a C90 when i was 11. Y'know just for bombing round the fields. I had it a year, gave it more abuse than the Leeds fans do David Beckham and it never once broke down or cut out.
Cant knock it as an old thumper
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1