Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Typical Man Syndrome...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

brianmcewan.co.uk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:48 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Typical Man Syndrome... Reply with quote

Ok, coming upto Christmas, I haven't got the girlfriend a present yet. Been with her 2 years and I'm always shit at buying gifts. Before anyone else says it no I'm not getting her anything in the NSFW category Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Seriously though I haven't got a clue!

Any ideas would be appreciated... Neutral Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 21:51 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so far all we know is she's female. Want to give us a bit more to go on - likes, dislikes, hobbies?

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

brianmcewan.co.uk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:07 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Not much of an insight into her was it...

Errr... well she's into all her fashion, she likes cheesy stuff.

But I'm shit at fashion so I wouldn't get any clothes, as that would end up in disaster Rolling Eyes

Last year I got her a tanning machine thing but she tried it one night and looked like a zebra that had been out on the drink the night before Shocked Laughing

We're going to Barbados next year (apparently) for her 18th as she is a spoilt little git Evil or Very Mad

... really stuck Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 22:10 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so she's female, wears clothes and doesn't tan.

Get her an Xbox 360.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:10 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take her shopping.................

And Charlotte says the most important thing is not to ask men for advice.

All the best

Keith

brianmcewan.co.uk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:12 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I done that for her birthday and its awkward because she doesn't like telling me what she wants Evil or Very Mad I end up feeling like I haven't really got her much or something Confused

I'd like to get her a suprise too as she usually gets me good presents Laughing Cool

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 22:19 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
And Charlotte says the most important thing is not to ask men for advice.
Unless they are gay.....they just seem to understand women* Laughing
Seriously, either take your girlfriend shopping, or go shopping with a gay friend.

Either way you have to go shopping. Doh!

*A sweeping generalisation i know, but it's mostly true!

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 22:33 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about giving her the gift of actually paying attention to what she likes and dislikes? I think most women would kill for that.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:35 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just go shopping with her? That's what I do, I give her a budget and she chooses something. I buy it, wrap it up and she's got what she wants. You can try and surprise her, but if she hates it you've lost. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 22:44 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can try and surprise her, but if she hates it you've lost.

If you put some effort in she shouldnt hate it, perhaps not be too keen on it but wont let on. If she doesnt appreciate it then get rid of the ungrateful slag.

Sort out some sort of special outing and perhap's a few simple smaller present's for the day.

Does she have anything she'd really like to try, diving, hang-gliding etc?

brianmcewan.co.uk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:09 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help fols Very Happy

Suppose I'll take her out at the weekend... Happy Christmas all!

I'l tell you's how it went Laughing

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to the shops with her don't be obvious, but pay attention to what she looks at. Is there a particular brand (e.g., Dior) that she goes to as soon as she hits the department store? Does she smell a particular fragrance more than the others or keeps going back to that for comparison? For clothes, does she keep looking and touching a particular top and looking in dismay at the price tag? Don't start making notes, just make a mental note of it. If your memory is crap, tell her you'll just nip to the loo and make a dash to the counter to take down the details so you can go back the next day.

Is she saying she'd love to get her hair done in a particular flash salon or get a beauty treatment? Does she keep complaining about her split ends or the state of her nails? Has she ever said, upon seeing something (eg. sky diving) on TV, that it looks 'wicked' (or whatever the word of the moment is now)? Book her a lesson? Is she saying she'd love to do/buy/try something but it costs too much?

If she's always in a flap trying to find something to wear & buy, how about booking her a personal shopper for a day? Don't know where you are, but in London, the top department stores offer this service, some for free, some for a charge. She'd tell them, in advance what she's looking for (e.g., a small black number) and once they meet her over coffee that morning, they go to the shop floor to bring the styles they think would suit her. She won't have to buy anything, but she might learn a valuable lesson in what suits her and what doesn't. I don't know if people still do it, but you could get her a colour consultation to see which colours go well with her colouring and together with each other.

Ahmato_
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:11 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey that post was good, I'm gonna take some notes!

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 00:19 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
If you go to the shops with her don't be obvious, but pay attention to what she looks at. Is there a particular brand (e.g., Dior) that she goes to as soon as she hits the department store? Does she smell a particular fragrance more than the others or keeps going back to that for comparison? For clothes, does she keep looking and touching a particular top and looking in dismay at the price tag? Don't start making notes, just make a mental note of it. If your memory is crap, tell her you'll just nip to the loo and make a dash to the counter to take down the details so you can go back the next day.

Is she saying she'd love to get her hair done in a particular flash salon or get a beauty treatment? Does she keep complaining about her split ends or the state of her nails? Has she ever said, upon seeing something (eg. sky diving) on TV, that it looks 'wicked' (or whatever the word of the moment is now)? Book her a lesson? Is she saying she'd love to do/buy/try something but it costs too much?

If she's always in a flap trying to find something to wear & buy, how about booking her a personal shopper for a day? Don't know where you are, but in London, the top department stores offer this service, some for free, some for a charge. She'd tell them, in advance what she's looking for (e.g., a small black number) and once they meet her over coffee that morning, they go to the shop floor to bring the styles they think would suit her. She won't have to buy anything, but she might learn a valuable lesson in what suits her and what doesn't. I don't know if people still do it, but you could get her a colour consultation to see which colours go well with her colouring and together with each other.

Thumbs Up Yep... I know you guys are not the sharpest things ever but chances are, she's probably dropped SO MANY hints for you to pick up on...
Listen to her Laughing

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never go far wrong with jewelry... A nice gold neck chain with a heart on it or something... Smile

Not if shes a chav with half the crown jewels already though...
And not Elizabeth Duke...

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 00:25 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or something REALLY thoughtful...

My best present I've ever had.. other than my dog.. was from an ex. We had mentioned our childhoods in a conversation and I mentioned that I had always wanted one of those dolls heads where you do the make up and play with the hair when I was little... I never had it Crying or Very sad
Guess what I had that year! LaughingThumbs Up

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 10:48 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
You can never go far wrong with jewelry... A nice gold neck chain with a heart on it or something... Smile

Ooooh, you can go very wrong with jewellry.

Some women won't wear yellow gold (myself included), some won't wear rings, necklaces, earrings etc because they get in the way of something else they do etc.
Most women have their own particular 'style' it's important to try and notice what that is... difficult, I know. Ask yourself questions:
Is there a particular colour she wear a lot of?
Does she wear fuddy jewellry, or just the bare minimum?
Are her earrings studs, or danglies?

It sounds like she has everything that she would want already, so you need to try and hit her with a surprise or something sentimental.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 11:08 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow Gold is quite unpopular, like Bella said. I know for a fact my girlfriend only really likes white gold. It is a bit pointless buying my girlfriend jewellery as she is not allowed to wear it most of the time anyway.

But she keeps hinting about a ring. Thinking
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of assumed after 2 years, that the type of jewelry she likes would be apparent Smile

swaffs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazza_RS125 wrote:
She likes cheesy stuff.

https://walkers.corpex.com/cr15p5/walkpix/prodpix2/wotsits_c.gif

not helping much am I ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM bwfc4eva and colin1 and ask for their advice on the issue.

Then do exactly the opposite. Thumbs Up

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My X gave me a voucher for a day at the spa (not that I ever got it before we split up). However, I was chuffed to bits at the thought, not been before . . . . . . still havn't been Crying or Very sad

If not, I always like perfume, underwear - traditional but not boring in my eyes.

Or try something different like paying to take her to see her fave band/theatre? Depending on how much money you want to spend, you could offer totake her shopping to buy a new dress for the occasion.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 13:51 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go shopping with ehr so she can choose...she'll have something she wants!

The usual female stuff, like shoes, clothes, perfume, jewelry all are greatly welcomed IMO, but as Annabell pointed out, if you don;t know what she doesn't like then they could be disasters.

Icey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

She hasn't given you any hints at all?

I've created a wishlist on Amazon of all the things I wouldn't mind getting - and sent it to my other half - and he still hasn't bought me anything - he'll leave it until the night before or something - as per usual...

(Eh Chris? Wink )

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 18:53 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the lads in work is paying to take his mrs to London, Stay in a hotel and going to see 'The Lion King'
Bless him, He's hating the thought of going... But he's doing it for her Laughing
(Or.... as his apprentice said.. tell her it was sold out and book something HE would enjoy)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 153 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2